Feathered Game

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like you are going to have some great fun Billy.. Very few of us live on farms, and have free access to a multitude of domestic critters...but, I have found over the years, that if you hav

Dogs should now the difference between what’s on and what’s off the menu. 

Been out with a few lads who don't need too stockbreak their dogs because of the ground they run... Personally I can't be doing with having ? in my arse, wondering what's over the next brow... I stock

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Balaur said:

I wouldn't try and get him steady with feral birds might need to set up a chicken pen in the yard, also easier to be steady if on your property, some dogs live with cats but won't suffer others etc.

Yep my old bull x lived with a cat wouldn't touch it but when out walking if we saw a cat I'd have to hold on tight as he would be going for it 

51 minutes ago, Billy no mates said:

Thanks  Balaur...I think thats the way to go. Actually thats what is behind my idea..I want to take him beating to get access to what else may be in the woods...

No wonder you decided to call yourself Billy no mates....

Mine will do mink but not touch a ferret they can tell the difference even though it’s feathered just keep an eye on it might be a bit playful with then but just keep pulling it back will no eventually that’s it’s not supposed to I’ve got a few ducks and all my dogs a fine with them they will even sit in the stables with them when it’s pissing it down never had bother with them 

10 hours ago, stumfelter said:

No wonder you decided to call yourself Billy no mates....

Perhaps a little harsh ..? . The shoot in question is a farmers shoot , the landowner and guns are my peers and will have no problem with me getting a run or two at groundgame disturbed by the beaters...game that you just wouldnt see without the beaters. So it would be useful if he will hunt feather but I dont want him chasing my chucks all day.

Your pup will have the brain capacity to eventually know what feather is fair game and what isn’t. Had a great rabbiting terrier once that would ignore my sister’s pet rabbit running around the back garden. He wasn’t comfortable with it, and would go out of his way to avoid it, but understood he wasn’t allowed to kill it however much he wanted to.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, micky said:

A working Dog should be used to  all Livestock and Domestic Poultry . No ifs or Buts.

Should! but not everyone has access to live stock it’s a hard thing to accomplish if you don’t keep stock your self no farmer i  know is going to let random lurcher lads among there stock unless your in the farmers pocket or he’s in yours .some will  never need a dog stock broken to sheep ,cattle etc I went for years without stock breaking my dogs to farm stock as it wasn’t needed I only needed a dog broken to chickens an ferrets that were my own were I used to live every direction you went in was arible land as far as the eye could see it was all permitted an still is you didn’t even need a dog that could jump farm gates because there wasn’t any to jump  ??‍♂️ The only gate there was was at the farm house with a gap so a dog could walk straight through  My old bitch I never stock broke she was a collie x she learned on the job at about 4 was the first time she see sheep On a new spot we’d picked up she never had no interest in them I got lucky with her she wasn’t a silly dog she knew what was expected of her an they wasn’t our target her daughter the bitch I run now was stock broken but luckily for me I got in with a decent farmer who’s keen for me to take care of things on his land where I now moved to I’m one of them types only teach a dog what’s needed it’s pointless teaching something that’s not going to be used at all. I had a load of people give me some shit on a fb group when I said about not stock breaking my dogs to farm animals bar the chickens the only come back I got was what if you go on a night out to someone else’s land ......but I didnt  need to I had enough land to go at I could of lamp 7 nights a week if I wanted to why would I of needed to go on a night out on other people’s land my money was always on people that press so hard over the Internet about a dog needing to be stock broken as a must that there own dogs wasn’t exactly stock broken there selfs but it sounded good to the Internet audience I’m met a few of these types of dudes in my time 

• Thanks 1