Sign in to follow this  
Gaz_Lurcherlad

Kennel ideas

I've got 2 terriers in a big plastic barrel at the minute , never noticed any condensation or damp bedding... Used the small 40 litre ones for a  single terrier and not had a problem either... Always drill a few holes in them and put a marine ply board on the bottom on some batten runners, bedding material on top 👍

I’m very surprised nobody has had a bash at making them sleep boxed like monarch an them sell, surely there’s somebody who can work with that placcy stuff? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m very surprised nobody has had a bash at making them sleep boxed like monarch an them sell, surely there’s somebody who can work with that placcy stuff? 

Theres a good bit of work that goes into them there 22mm thema board plus the fabrication of the metal that joins it all together theres a bot of work in them 

9 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Theres a good bit of work that goes into them there 22mm thema board plus the fabrication of the metal that joins it all together theres a bot of work in them 

I meant the wee sleep boxes more than the big walk in kennels but I do appreciate how much work goes Into both l, Iv saw a few of them now an that’s why I’ll get kne when pup goes outside, they deffo the best about👍

50 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I meant the wee sleep boxes more than the big walk in kennels but I do appreciate how much work goes Into both l, Iv saw a few of them now an that’s why I’ll get kne when pup goes outside, they deffo the best about👍

any links to them..be nice to have a look at them see what there all about..

17 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

8BC69566-F929-458C-B1CE-06031C8638D5.jpeg.e97639964e000a2081a3bafc3ea8f4ab.jpeg

they look a cracking bit of kit.a good spray with some bleach etc and a jetwash..every now and again.they will last years surely...

2 hours ago, nothernlite said:

Easy 2 put together I'm told

5 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Something like this below I reckon ideal and same stuff, you get it on board form only like making a plywood one go to local steel shop and get angle iron for screwing together. 

https://www.kedel.co.uk/mixed-plastic-lumber/recycled-mixed-plastic-sheet-1050-x-25.html

Edited by Wild-Bill

8 hours ago, Wild-Bill said:

Something like this below I reckon ideal and same stuff, you get it on board form only like making a plywood one go to local steel shop and get angle iron for screwing together. 

https://www.kedel.co.uk/mixed-plastic-lumber/recycled-mixed-plastic-sheet-1050-x-25.html

Be cheaper buying one by the time you bought all that 

Some dogs can be a bit destructive with wood boxs.

IMGP1298.jpg

Edited by joe ox
  • Haha 2

On 23/01/2020 at 12:10, Born Hunter said:

Link doesn't seem to embed right. here's a screenshot.

Untitled.png

He only has the 3ft ones think they be to small for our GSD 

I like the look of the insulated ones, but I’m not sure how much the insulation matters when you have a big hole in for the dogs to get in and out. It’s like having double glazing but leaving the door open. 

• Like 2

It makes a big difference, uninsulated (like mine) act as a heat sink , insulation allows the dog to at least heat it with its own body heat and prevents frost/cold getting to dog, as well as creating a cooler place in the summer. Can also add a flap or curtain to provide more comfort. I have an insulated box abroad where temps reach minus 20, dogs were fine. Here I need to improve what I've got a bit with some insulation , going to be increasing the run off angle tomorrow as the run holds a little water .

• Like 1