Sober New Year?

There’s no doubt the British pub has declined massively, I think the reasons are many and varied.

Back in the early 80s  my brothers boozer would take 10 grand across the bar Friday and Saturday night no problem at all, then he’d have the masons and all that old bollocks in the function rooms.

It was a lovely earner, now days I’d say if you don’t have a decent menu for grub you won’t survive.....grubs where the money is now, there’s f**k all in the booze.

Spent my whole childhood round old traditional London boozers and the characters that frequented them but that jobs f****d now.

If you dont have a decent chef and good staff In a decent gaff now then you may as well not bother.

• Like 3

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I packed up drinking when I was 24, now it’s limited to the very rare occasion if I feel like a beer with a meal or some special occasion when it feels right. I have never missed it at all, ever.

Don’t sound sad at all mate.......I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it on here before  but I don’t drink at all now and realistically can’t ever see myself drinking again......yes there will be times lif

Try these mate. Cheers, D.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, WILF said:

There’s no doubt the British pub has declined massively, I think the reasons are many and varied.

Back in the early 80s  my brothers boozer would take 10 grand across the bar Friday and Saturday night no problem at all, then he’d have the masons and all that old bollocks in the function rooms.

It was a lovely earner, now days I’d say if you don’t have a decent menu for grub you won’t survive.....grubs where the money is now, there’s f**k all in the booze.

Spent my whole childhood round old traditional London boozers and the characters that frequented them but that jobs f****d now.

If you dont have a decent chef and good staff In a decent gaff now then you may as well not bother.

Not in small and medium sized towns.

In my town there still old skool pubs.no food being served and if their was you wouldn't want to eat it.skittles,darts,pool all that shit but no food.same with with bigger towns like taunton or yeovil,often busy and seem to be thrieving.probably repeated up and down the country.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WILF said:

Spot on, as said on the post, me and me brother werent the only ones not drinking booze I say lot of people looking round pub were not drinking either, most were just getting stuck to there food  and no booze. Don't know if people tend to drink less at Xmas time with d/d law and don't risk it, as much say different months.? Just a thought.! 

18 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

In my town there still old skool pubs.no food being served and if their was you wouldn't want to eat it.skittles,darts,pool all that shit but no food.same with with bigger towns like taunton or yeovil,often busy and seem to be thrieving.probably repeated up and down the country.

Lol yeah, several pubs in south wales that don't do food, and some you certainly wouldn't want to eat food in ?. But still going strong since I started drinking in them over 40 years ago

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Lol yeah, several pubs in south wales that don't do food, and some you certainly wouldn't want to eat food in ?. But still going strong since I started drinking in them over 40 years ago

Wilf and bird are on about cities.there the metrosexual wine drinking types.

• Haha 3

I've two mates who are pub landlords. They scrape along  financially, but the hours they put in are ridiculous. You have to have a particular personality to stick it. I couldn't handle all the drunken talk by the middle of the night. It would drive me scatty. I would end up banning everybody who got up my nose and end up with  no punters.?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ginger beard said:

Depends what you mean by busy really mate and I know that’s a hard one to judge, I’d think if you ain’t taking 10 grand a week then you ain’t that busy.

8 minutes ago, WILF said:

Depends what you mean by busy really mate and I know that’s a hard one to judge, I’d think if you ain’t taking 10 grand a week then you ain’t that busy.

Did your brother have to pay "protection money" Wilf?  The practice is still on the go  in my old stamping ground of Manchester.

1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

Did your brother have to pay "protection money" Wilf?  The practice is still on the go  in my old stamping ground of Manchester.

Haha, no mate, both my brothers had pubs and they definitely didn’t have to pay that. Lol ? 

On 17/12/2019 at 13:02, bird said:

it deff does mate, it really controls your life, your constantly  watching what you eat,  cant have this cant have that ,  ok it might not kill you , but bloody hell, it drags you down, and as you say every year. what was that    Mush   fructose breath test thing any more info mate ,??

Have a look at bpc 157

Its amazing stuff