Good deer dogs (pure)

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Running fast hounds after Deer, in dense woodland,.. well, its pretty obvious that sooner or later, your dogs will get seriously hurt... ? Of course, back in the day, we were different men,....it

Never no when your life going to change for the worse 

I have to admit if I was looking after getting a dog for deer saluki would have to be in it's breeding. 

Posted Images

My mate got his cheek bone broke of a sika one night  when it kicked out .l carried a dog of after a encounter with a red hind a experienced dog at that he  took bigger reds than this hind was but she buckled him proper theses things happen and a lot depends on a lot of factors ground numbers and of course the dogs and if there up to it when it gets tough 

6 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you have lads on here talking roe bucks jagging dogs just tell me something dog man don’t  when do mature roe shed there antlers ? ? 

Shed in October. But pre ban if sticking to season you would only take when got antlers depending when the shed in October 

29 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

no you don’t need to educate a dog for bambi there easy work for a half descent dog 

daytime hares every week threw a season is a much harder task 

Don’t take this the wrong way. But I assume you’re talking roe and fallow does. Just the way you talk about stuff being easy and soft. Not knocking you or your dogs, but there is huge variety, within deer species, just like dogs. Some have a lot more fight than others. Even with roe, some fold up and die and some kick and thrash about like f**k, some are slower and hit fences and some are faster, clear hedges, Jump the dog and use all the tricks to get away. Amazing creatures. 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

don’t have. a season ?

me adult dogs are packed away mid feb won’t run out until beginning of october 

i have pups to get started so they are out of any cop they be packed away next march 

Sorry hull your in the  wrong here what are you expecting running in summer what that can't be run in say Oct or Nov when the ground is softer if pups are going to make it they will it's as you say it's either in them or not but summer running will tell you nothing on any quarry when winter comes that's when you really find out as you know

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you have lads on here talking roe bucks jagging dogs just tell me something dog man don’t  when do mature roe shed there antlers ? ? 

Good roe bucks only really want to be killed April - October. Problem is the hard ground. 

10 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Shed in October. But pre ban if sticking to season you would only take when got antlers depending when the shed in October 

october ? this way mature roe lost them early september mate i don’t run out with adult dogs until october

Just now, mC HULL said:

october ? this way mature roe lost them early september mate i don’t run out with adult dogs until october

It’s down to the deer mate. Been watching two roe bucks by mine, one still in velvet and one in hats antler. Got a lovely one, I think it’s an eight pointer. He is beautiful. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Don’t take this the wrong way. But I assume you’re talking roe and fallow does. Just the way you talk about stuff being easy and soft. Not knocking you or your dogs, but there is huge variety, within deer species, just like dogs. Some have a lot more fight than others. Even with roe, some fold up and die and some kick and thrash about like f**k, some are slower and hit fences and some are faster, clear hedges, Jump the dog and use all the tricks to get away. Amazing creatures. 

no mate any roe there easy mate so are fallow i don’t run huge ones as i’ve said and they aren’t as big this way as some down there 

7 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Sorry hull your in the  wrong here what are you expecting running in summer what that can't be run in say Oct or Nov when the ground is softer if pups are going to make it they will it's as you say it's either in them or not but summer running will tell you nothing on any quarry when winter comes that's when you really find out as you know

running after is the easy bit a pup needs to use it’s nose follow in rough hedges etc learn the tricks it’s not the running after i want lots the hunting about 

the proof is in the pudding mate them dogs that come bk once the hare is unsighted aren’t no good to me 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

no mate any roe there easy mate so are fallow i don’t run huge ones as i’ve said and they aren’t as big this way as some down there 

Some roe are deffo a lot better than others. I see a lot of folk running does early season and juvenile stuff. Does want to be left till November really. But maybe that’s just me. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Some will lose them early. There big red shedding up on the moor some would say that’s early. 

58 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

running after is the easy bit a pup needs to use it’s nose follow in rough hedges etc learn the tricks it’s not the running after i want lots the hunting about 

the proof is in the pudding mate them dogs that come bk once the hare is unsighted aren’t no good to me 

whats funny dogmandont south trans hunter 

ill run you with a pup come season against any seasoned dog you can lay your hands on 

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

Nov/december

1 hour ago, Gypsydog94 said:

As I said above I've seen them months later than that with hard antler, I always thought it was nov/December they shed 

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

It’s down to the deer mate. Been watching two roe bucks by mine, one still in velvet and one in hats antler. Got a lovely one, I think it’s an eight pointer. He is beautiful. 

Seen loads of 6s and the odd 7 but never an 8, get a pic ?

Just now, South hams hunter said:

Nov/december

As I said above I've seen them months later than that with hard antler, I always thought it was nov/December they shed 

Seen loads of 6s and the odd 7 but never an 8, get a pic ?

november december you are a dreamer shh id bet youve never even put one full season in

• Haha 1