question for bullx

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? I've seen this on a lot of these Hunting type forums,...lads bad mouthing other fellahs jukels... Such opinions are best kept private between enthusiasts, as opposed to being broadcast on the I

my dog is 4yr old.he mark's 100%. will pick up a scent from a ploughed field and track it into the hedgerow/cover and shift it.nothing has straighlined him in speed.never opens up chasing.bullet proof

Ya can't win em all,....no matter how good your jukel is,.. if you run a dog regularly enough, ..he will inevitably,...meet his match...  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

thanks for the comments ?I would much rather have a dog to up and at them. I like a headstrong dog with high prey drive. I find it's easier to work with & calm a dog down than having to gee a dog up. I do like a keen as mustard little dog. 

1 hour ago, terryd said:

Fred90 Well thats you sorted then. I keep telling my self I want the opposite of what you just said but I also know I will miss the buzz never a dull moment

Really can't understand that way of thinking. But that's me, I wrap my dogs in cotton wool, apparently lol

2 hours ago, fred90 said:

thanks for the comments ?I would much rather have a dog to up and at them. I like a headstrong dog with high prey drive. I find it's easier to work with & calm a dog down than having to gee a dog up. I do like a keen as mustard little dog. 

I agree with ya. Never get it when you hear lads saying good steady/sensible pup. Good wprking dog should live and breath to run catch find and kill. I like to see pups galloping about jumping for fun and mad keen. Hard enough on these dogs sometimes to give 100% at certain times of there career let alone something thats only half lively to begin with.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, terryd said:

Fred90 Well thats you sorted then. I keep telling my self I want the opposite of what you just said but I also know I will miss the buzz never a dull moment

Defo miss the buzz. I just lost a dog which was abit of a character. Had to watch him sometimes. Now he’s gone he’s definitely left a hole in the pack. 

2 minutes ago, C.green said:

King not a dig or owt what makes ya say ya dog took 3 years too mature ? Some dogs are bieng retired at that age because pf the work load theyve had.

with rabbit numbers what they are my dog will be retired at 86 due to work load. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Ya can't win em all,....no matter how good your jukel is,.. if you run a dog regularly enough, ..he will inevitably,...meet his match...:yes:

_PHL9616.JPG.b92af2ea79e073bc786395d3689ab25f.JPG

Sapling I had many moons best met his match early on in his career the mistake was never repeated with him in the rut herd of maybey twenty Hinds a big Buck buck letting the hinds through a gab in a Woodside sloppy fecker of mine full Tilsit Buck was waiting for him lol twas a long walk up thatfield only ta find him like a sodden ragg in a puddle of shite mud and water luckily he was only unconscious come round in a few minutes that was his lesson he was to become one hell of a venni jukel  I stops reds with that jukel single with my help of course the learning curve can be a moment of death of the making his was the making .co I see it like this what Eva thy chosen ,they all meet there match I laughing still on the memory it could off all panned out differently lesser type sod have jjjjaaaaaaccckkked.lolhe stopped a Volvo just bruise one night a mini metro another he wrote he front end of that off he was one strong fecking jukel ninety pounder .atb bill

53 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

He said never been straight lined so I take it dog has been behind a variety a game mate, an that’s what I fail to believe, I never done a lot on big deer before the ban but know guys that did. An iv seen some cold January morning roe that could boogie an have it on good faith that fallow an red are even faster,  besides all that tho if you put ye dog behind enough gear it will sooner or later get straight lined i believe??

I think it's happened to most lads and dogs been shown a clean pair of heels at some point all you can do is tip your hat of to the quarry for putting such show on one that stands out was a roe flushed from a small plantation with the sun catching its  back as I watched that clearing hedges like a grand national winner dog no we're near came back tongue hanging out looking like wtf was that all about 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Just a guess as I don’t know any details but I’d say only reason a dog like that take so long to mature is lack of graft, Iv saw it twice now, 2 guys have litter mates an dogs are quite alike in most ways but one was entered round ferrets as a whelp an out on lamp before its birthday whilst the other litter mate took years to catch anything, saw it in both bullx an deerhound x types,

maybe coincidence but maybe not? so I reckon graft helps mature an young dog ?

Good pups make good dogs. Hear alot of folks say seen alot of dogs that were ruined by starting too early but i reckon you can get faults by leaving too late aswell.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, king said:

straight line down the field he closes the gap every time.hes a dog not a machine when hes blowing out of his arse tired and the prey is fresh its a different scenario. he's to keen in my eye's and is to up and at em.when they put a turn in he will over shoot and has to make that ground up again which he does.if he sat back a bit and cut them off on the turn we would have more in the bag.

There's a lot to be said about a old head on young shoulders in jukels to have them that seem to be steady from a a welp his just that ways they are and they not common to have this type still giving it all at seven or eight his very very uncommon.the type hat tend to continually run crazy need lots and lots a running but this may settle him on the night and same again next night out he needs lots a running sensible running he could be running manic not steady I have had them just fast enough very very steady type jukels and ta me these are the best picking stuff off at there own pace fast stuff included it looks good but it's a fecking rhapsody of madness.he will meet his much that's fa sure it's how he accepts this his the thing .i believe experience his gleaned with seeing plenty run of different venues ground etc,but sometimes one needs ta think take stock and see reason it's a wild animal not a fecking spitfire its trying ta catch seen jukels that would out manoeuvre Mitchell's spitfire.lol  keep at it atb bill

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, C.green said:

Good pups make good dogs. Hear alot of folks say seen alot of dogs that were ruined by starting too early but i reckon you can get faults by leaving too late aswell.

I've always started dogs early...:yes:

A roustabout mouching/rabbiting cur has plenty of devious tricks to learn,...he ain't no athlete, so he needs to be versatile, or he is of no fecking use...

I don't keep proper dogs these days,...but, when I did, I ran them as soon as I could,...I did mess up a wee bit, but I often think those failures, were destined to fail anyway...?

Good dogs, really good dogs, take some fecking up,..they are special,....they just have IT, in abundance...:clapper:

scan0072.jpg.1f8dfeed2e9afb43c60e1584b5994bb9.jpg

• Like 10