Best looking Breed?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As close to perfection as I've ever come

I better not turn up for the fishing weekend and theres only one person with 20 personalitys! 

i ll always have a soft spot for horrid , rangy , fly old farm collies.  Probsbly the greatest canine connection we have 

Posted Images

Non native wild animals are still wild regardless of where they are not feral. Would a true feral dog that had been bred for generations in the wild be tameable like feral cats can from a young age or would they still be wild?

I've seen on here about an island which has a healthy population of feral ferrets that have been there a very long time so I wonder if they still carry the domesticated traits like being tractable or are they mad like proper poleys? If they were able to be tamed it would be a good way of getting back some old working strains. 

I think mammals in general can be tamed to an extent.. so those ferrets on thon Island would be great to add fresh dna. It would probably be better to grab some jills and let them go in a controlled spot, with a collar on, and in heat... rather than try to tame the wild ones. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gnipper said:

Non native wild animals are still wild regardless of where they are not feral.

That's kinda my take on it too. Feral implies escaped stock. Wild implies breeding naturally and left to their own devices.

14 hours ago, stumfelter said:

This is what happens when you let mother nature decide the evolution of the dog. Would any man made dog survive in their environment?

african-cape-hunting-dogs-chris-scroggins.jpg

And they have the best success rate for hunts out of all animals  67% successful, not bad for "feral dogs"

• Like 2
13 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Fair one Born but does that open it up further?

The dingo has been in Australia for 3-4000 years. Would you class it as feral (as a lot of Aussies do), naturalised or wild?

a lot of Australians class dingo's  , wild dogs   and hybrids as free ranging dogs instead of feral 

19 hours ago, gnipper said:

Non native wild animals are still wild regardless of where they are not feral. Would a true feral dog that had been bred for generations in the wild be tameable like feral cats can from a young age or would they still be wild?

I've seen on here about an island which has a healthy population of feral ferrets that have been there a very long time so I wonder if they still carry the domesticated traits like being tractable or are they mad like proper poleys? If they were able to be tamed it would be a good way of getting back some old working strains. 

I watched something recently about dogs, and apparently the African hunting dog is the only canine that cannot be domesticated ?? 

12 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I watched something recently about dogs, and apparently the African hunting dog is the only canine that cannot be domesticated ?? 

The documentary about them,  Sir D. Attenborough I think was awesome. 

Is the way they hunt through experience or inbred?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Deffo, the gayest looking dog thread is a few pages back I’m sure??

im fairness I think Salukis look good, especially from a distance? which is handy cos that’s where most owners see em, standing a mile away over there catch refusing to budge ?????

lol lucky i had a telephoto lens on the camera that day    2 miles away    ?

• Haha 3