Best looking Breed?

1 minute ago, ChrisJones said:

Can we agree that the word feral is acceptable to use to describe the transition from domesticity to the wild?

How many generations before they can be classed as wild if they seem to be breeding true to type and hunting down prey as they would have originally had they not developed a symbiotic relationship with man back in their wolf days?

• Like 1

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As close to perfection as I've ever come

I better not turn up for the fishing weekend and theres only one person with 20 personalitys! 

i ll always have a soft spot for horrid , rangy , fly old farm collies.  Probsbly the greatest canine connection we have 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, mackem said:

How many generations before they can be classed as wild if they seem to be breeding true to type and hunting down prey as they would have originally had they not developed a symbiotic relationship with man back in their wolf days?

Feral implies they're from domestic stock either released or escaped. Wild implies no domesticity whatsoever. So for me, that number would be one although you wouldn't know by sight for a few more generations I'd imagine.

Generations of artificial selection will take many more generations to undo if they're to go true to type. This is purely MO of course.

8 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Feral implies they're from domestic stock either released or escaped. Wild implies no domesticity whatsoever. So for me, that number would be one although you wouldn't know by sight for a few more generations I'd imagine.

Generations of artificial selection will take many more generations to undo if they're to go true to type. This is purely MO of course.

A lot of them in Australia especially seem to be breeding true to type,almost dingo like,same colour etc,if they have been breeding true to type for generations in the wild any domesticity has long since been bred out of them and they have reverted back to type I would have though.

2 minutes ago, mackem said:

A lot of them in Australia especially seem to be breeding true to type,almost dingo like,same colour etc,if they have been breeding true to type for generations in the wild any domesticity has long since been bred out of them and they have reverted back to type I would have though.

Sounds fair.

Here feral dogs are usually pushed out by coyotes I could see that in Australia with the dingo. Natural selection.

6 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Coming back to Africa though; you don't hear of feral dogs there. Not living in the bush anyway.

Same with most wilds though, no?

The canids that are already established as wild breeds (coyotes, wolves, dingoes, etc) have thousands of years of natural selection behind them whereas a descendant of domestic stock won't. The interlopers will now be subject to natural selection and will either interbreed or be killed off?

The only places I've seen successful packs of dogs are in cities and they don't handle wild pressure very well at all when it comes to it.

Edited by ChrisJones
Typo
7 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Same with most wilds though, no?

I couldn't say mate. Off hand I'd say anywhere that has a healthy number of big predators would make feral dogs establishing themselves nigh impossible.

Is it fair to say feral dogs are established in the wilds of Australia? Otherwise most of the examples I can think of seem dependent on human civilisation.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

If you want To compare that to the life of working outdoors animal in the Scottish winter ,

wow 

just wow 

Russia gets very bad in the winter pal, much worse than Scotland. ?

2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Id hazard a guess the other 15% in Arnhem land? Hostile as f**k

Interesting watch mate,their distribution,prey species in different locations etc.

• Like 2