Lurcher Lads

In my home town quite a few lad's had them, including myself, usually all collie x lurchers.

Where I am now, a couple of lad's I know have them, but don't run them much at all.

I'm probably the only one who is working my dog's regular, but I could be mistaken, just never seen them out.

Atb

• Like 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The old man was still doing it till he was 88 so hopefully I have a few years left I've had a triple by pass last year but that won't stop me

I have listened to some of them in the past I just smile to myself and think what a load of cobbler's that's y I do it on my own can't stand bull shit lol

Around here in the late 70,s and early ,s i knew of about 6,now there is about 30,ish.Id trade 29 of them for just 1 of the proper uns.

being honest , the only ones i can think of who kept/worked running dogs back in early 60s 60-64 were gypos , i used walk our staffs over the fields and bump into them there . had few walks with them watching them catch rabbits and hares , the dogs they had were big and small rough haired racy type dogs .Most type dogs by me as a kid were staffs, pit type dogs and heinz 57s lol you see the odd whippet, that was kept for racing suppose . my self didnt get in to lurchers till i was 30 , was in to bull breeds well before lurchers , this was growing up in W-ton , ok back then , but a shit hole now , it spot the white man now .!!

• Like 2

being honest , the only ones i can think of who kept/worked running dogs back in early 60s 60-64 were gypos , i used walk our staffs over the fields and bump into them there . had few walks with them watching them catch rabbits and hares , the dogs they had were big and small rough haired racy type dogs .Most type dogs by me as a kid were staffs, pit type dogs and heinz 57s lol you see the odd whippet, that was kept for racing suppose . my self didnt get in to lurchers till i was 30 , was in to bull breeds well before lurchers , this was growing up in W-ton , ok back then , but a shit hole now , it spot the white man now .!!

I didn't know you were a jam eater bird lol

• Like 1

There everywhere just because you don't know them don't mean there not there I've met 3 in the last year from my town An one guy who gets on here lives not even 5 minutes from my house i think there's about at least 10 guys in my town that runs dogs

Lurchers must be one of the commonest types of dogs about but 95% of owners don't work em and most that say they do work seem go out rather infrequently being into shows rather than working their dogs. I'd be surprised if more than 1-2% of owners really worked their dogs more than a few times a year.

Edited by sandymere

Used to be plenty round here in the 80,s ,theres probably less than 5 now...loads of whippet owners though,literally dozens of them.There was always a lot of terrier men round here too,things just got to hot for them since the ban and ended up packing in...

There everywhere just because you don't know them don't mean there not there I've met 3 in the last year from my town An one guy who gets on here lives not even 5 minutes from my house i think there's about at least 10 guys in my town that runs dogs

my old man always said to me there's always somebody mooching about with a dog or a ferret and nets the amounts of times I've been out and banged into somebody mooching about and I thought I knew every body with a lurcher or terrier ?
  • Like 2

Plenty of white men in Wolverhampton ray & plenty of mixed raced kids which I have seven & eleven grandkids all living in wolves east europeans are getting plentiful tho atb Flacko

• Like 1

big pigeon keeping area some of the best were from round your way ?

big pigeon keeping area some of the best were from round your way

yeh there was , and most had some kind of staff/pit type dogs in the gardens in kennels , not so much guard dogs , but to kill the cats , that would hang around the pigeon lofts . i can remember the one day, was talking to this lads dad about some of his birds, as he had them out and was getting them back in. when there staff type ran down the garden like a feckin rocket lol, it went back of the loft and a cat sprang out and shot up next doors tree , bloody hell that cat was lucky only by few inches , or it would have been dead, the old bloke told me he kill couple of cats few weeks ago, in them days 60s alot differnt today with people . I left Wolverhampton in my 30s and got married and went up to south staffs = weston park lived there for 30 years , now live not far from Hereford , but will always have my memories as kid growing up in wolves with bull breeds and pigeons etc :thumbs::yes:

yeh there was , and most had some kind of staff/pit type dogs in the gardens in kennels , not so much guard dogs , but to kill the cats , that would hang around the pigeon lofts . i can remember the one day, was talking to this lads dad about some of his birds, as he had them out and was getting them back in. when there staff type ran down the garden like a feckin rocket lol, it went back of the loft and a cat sprang out and shot up next doors tree , bloody hell that cat was lucky only by few inches , or it would have been dead, the old bloke told me he kill couple of cats few weeks ago, in them days 60s alot differnt today with people . I left Wolverhampton in my 30s and got married and went up to south staffs = weston park lived there for 30 years , now live not far from Hereford , but will always have my memories as kid growing up in wolves with bull breeds and pigeons etc :thumbs::yes:
grey peas and bacon ?
  • Like 1

no pigeon man would be without a staff/pitt lurcher cat killer about Ayrshire, if you were serious about anyway.