• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

That leads me to this question. Probably talked about before, but how many true Scottish wildcats are left in the Country? 

I think in truth there are a few breeding programs with some pure blood but most of those in the wild have a dash of domestic in there make up now, bound to be a few little pockets way out from humans that have stayed pure and there are groups that go out and sterilise the farmcats so maybe there is still hope ?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

That leads me to this question. Probably talked about before, but how many true Scottish wildcats are left in the Country? 

Apparently very few PURE ones, seems like the local Toms have been messing with them!

Edited by Deker
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

I think in truth there are a few breeding programs with some pure blood but most of those in the wild have a dash of domestic in there make up now, bound to be a few little pockets way out from humans that have stayed pure and there are groups that go out and sterilise the farmcats so maybe there is still hope ?

In your opinion, how are they able to get footage of them, when they are so rare, or are they still more plentiful than big cats?

19 hours ago, keepdiggin said:

Would a leopard x puma be fertile 

Big cat hybrids are pretty much unknown in the wild, you need prolonged proximity as well as lack of alternative and in the wild different species tend to avoid proximity to other species to the extent of hybridising. Isolated populations of pumas and jaguars in the Americas, Tiger and Lions in India, Lions and leopards in Africa etc all avoid hybridising to the point of local extinction. The only place it happens is in the extremely artificial setting of zoos.

WWW.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

There’s a dark side to feline mash-ups.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

In your opinion, how are they able to get footage of them, when they are so rare, or are they still more plentiful than big cats?

I,d say probably down to territory sizes when we had a situation in Scotland some years ago the one we were after would move off the estate after a while but the wildcats seemed to come through the same runs on a daily or every couple of day cycle so guess once you find an area that holds them it would be relatively easy to get pics ?

1 hour ago, EDDIE B said:

Trails are key, cats, like most predators use trails to travel from area to area, the route of least resistance, so putting cameras out in the middle of nowhere will get nothing but on a track or trail, if they are there they will come. if you look around the world this is exactly what they do and do so successfully.

So if you put a camera trap on the path by Paulus's Freelander you'll be spot on. ?

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, paulus said:

I think a big cat set my freelander alarm off 3 times last night. It has never been set off at night before so it has to have been a big cat!.

Sadly mate it’s a sign your battery is on its way out, the current drop when you open the door and interior lights come on is enough to trigger the alarm, so if the battery starts dropping amps because of the cold it will cause a false trigger and set it off yours dropped 3 times in the night so is not in the best of health I would guess ?

8 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Sadly mate it’s a sign your battery is on its way out, the current drop when you open the door and interior lights come on is enough to trigger the alarm, so if the battery starts dropping amps because of the cold it will cause a false trigger and set it off yours dropped 3 times in the night so is not in the best of health I would guess ?

Nope, it was a big cat.

I believe paulus.  ?

• Haha 3
  • paulus locked this topic