• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Well without being a prick , the geezer , randomly hired a b and b and went for a walk and seen a cat . I mean , it’s a bit suspect ain’t it ? 

he sounds like the type of geezer who drives to Loch Ness sees the monster and drives home again . See what I mean 

No to both really only thing I find a little strange is the caracel I D I would be more inclined to think young puma due to the location, you also have to accept the lochness monster is no longer there if it ever was, simply by the lack of sightings in more recent years unlike cat sightings that are annually pretty consistent, ?

33 minutes ago, Greyman said:

No to both really only thing I find a little strange is the caracel I D I would be more inclined to think young puma due to the location, you also have to accept the lochness monster is no longer there if it ever was, simply by the lack of sightings in more recent years unlike cat sightings that are annually pretty consistent, ?

a captive caracal spontaneously mated with a domestic cat in a Moscow Zoo in 1990 which resulted in felid hybrid offspring, so it's not imposable to think that they could have reproduced with a domestic cat in the uk if one was in the wild

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Wonder what a guy could find with a thermal drone or two 

Wolfy, what's your take on it? Apart from native cat species, there must be escaped leopards, tigers  etc, breeding in the wild over there?

1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Wonder what a guy could find with a thermal drone or two 

It’s coming mate,only downside like most other things in the uk there are a lot of rules and limitations on there use, my mate in Tamworth has some serious kit runs a fishing complex of 12/14 lakes set over quite a few acres and simply flys the drone round the whole complex in minutes checking for poachers, but you can see and make out quite clearly rabbits,deer ,fox and badgers when he’s doing the rounds I just need to get him out also the bloke that runs the podcast has got his son licensed to fly one, think the thermal will definately uncover a few secrets sadly it will also lead to a few more getting shot 

80C44C31-52C8-4A1A-940E-4D48E2E01C87.jpeg

35093DC1-A137-483F-8282-E9C94572E333.png

3 hours ago, terryd said:

I thought it  was all cobblers. I have been out in the country side all my life and never seen a thing. Then and I think I mentioned it before most likely in this thread. One evening I was cycling on some back roads. Just crested the top of hill and on the left was a forestry block. I looked up and saw what was basically a bobcat type animal. It was jet black it froze as it crossed the road and looked at me. I looked down to unclip my stupid shoes and when I looked backup it was gone. I remember it well because I wouldn't say it sent a chill but it was like more of a wow moment.  That was my one and only time in my 53 years on this planet. Could just been a posh pet cat who knows but sure did look wild but then all bloody cats do. It was bloody big too

Can't wait till foxdropper  reads this, you FIBBER!!  ? ?

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, greg64 said:

a captive caracal spontaneously mated with a domestic cat in a Moscow Zoo in 1990 which resulted in felid hybrid offspring, so it's not imposable to think that they could have reproduced with a domestic cat in the uk if one was in the wild

Not saying that’s not feasible but I do think most of the novelty type pet cats that were here like caracel just would not have been here in big enough number to have been able to breed true to type and would just end up in the feral gene pool like wildcats and jungle cats, though there is a jungle cat stuffed in the local museum that was killed in a RTA not that many years back, I think one of the things people don’t grasp is just how many of these things were here in the 60s and 70s in private zoos and houses, you only have to look how many people start breeding bengals and savannah cats once there is a few quid to be made and cats are quite easy to breed ? 

DFFD1663-54EF-4E36-93A4-84F914D0BB67.png

• Like 1
17 hours ago, sandymere said:

3 newly released apex predators aren't feral cats killing a few mice, they would have been having a major impact and likely  killed pretty dam quickly. 

As I say places like Dartmoor are closely studied yet no cats found. An example, perfect cat territory. 

FINGLEWOODS.ORG.UK

Deer, as with everything in the world of wildlife, can be complicated. At Fingle Woods, we spend a lot of time...

If an apex predator or predators were present it would be known and studied, they don't live in isolation. 

17 hours ago, Greyman said:

No they really do mate they come together to mate and a cub will stay with mum but in general the cats we are referring to are solitary animals sorry 

When I referred to solitary I mean they don't live in isolation within the environment, they would have a major impact. plus pumas are pretty social sharing territories and kills etc.

But my point was they are never spotted by the multitude of naturalist that study wildlife pretty closely as in the above link, why? After half a century they are still on the missing list. If they were there surely the multitude of naturalists, rangers, keepers, farmer, photographers etc etc that frequent Dartmoor would have found and studied them by now as they have other elusive creatures and as people do around the world in far more desolate landscapes?

My question was why have they not been recorded on studies like the one I linked too? day and night filming by drone (camera and NV), camera traps, experienced naturalist walking the land etc?

Link sociability.

WWW.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

The shocking find upends commonly held beliefs about one of the Americas' most iconic big cats.

link impacting their environment.

PANTHERA.ORG

Panthera is devoted exclusively to preserving the 40 species of wild cats and their critical role in the world's ecosystems — securing their future and ours.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, sandymere said:

When I referred to solitary I mean they don't live in isolation within the environment, they would have a major impact. plus pumas are pretty social sharing territories and kills etc.

But my point was they are never spotted by the multitude of naturalist that study wildlife pretty closely as in the above link, why? After half a century they are still on the missing list. If they were there surely the multitude of naturalists, rangers, keepers, farmer, photographers etc etc that frequent Dartmoor would have found and studied them by now as they have other elusive creatures and as people do around the world in far more desolate landscapes?

My question was why have they not been recorded on studies like the one I linked too? day and night filming by drone (camera and NV), camera traps, experienced naturalist walking the land etc?

Link sociability.

WWW.NATIONALGEOGRAPHIC.COM

The shocking find upends commonly held beliefs about one of the Americas' most iconic big cats.

link impacting their environment.

PANTHERA.ORG

Panthera is devoted exclusively to preserving the 40 species of wild cats and their critical role in the world's ecosystems — securing their future and ours.

Mate your sticking up new data from a tracked and monitored population we really are nothing like the USA, you need to shake that out your mind as I said an area the size of Dartmoor 5 to 10 animals, if you want to know the reality’s look up a bloke called David Neil’s he puts a lot of stuff on Vimeo, has been tracking and monitoring pumas in the rockies for years 5 days and nights a week, has thousands of images and yet in his whole life saw 5 very fleeting glimpses, you will learn a lot more from him than all your wiki search’s etc he’s real and on the ground 

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

It’s coming mate,only downside like most other things in the uk there are a lot of rules and limitations on there use, my mate in Tamworth has some serious kit runs a fishing complex of 12/14 lakes set over quite a few acres and simply flys the drone round the whole complex in minutes checking for poachers, but you can see and make out quite clearly rabbits,deer ,fox and badgers when he’s doing the rounds I just need to get him out also the bloke that runs the podcast has got his son licensed to fly one, think the thermal will definately uncover a few secrets sadly it will also lead to a few more getting shot 

80C44C31-52C8-4A1A-940E-4D48E2E01C87.jpeg

35093DC1-A137-483F-8282-E9C94572E333.png

I asked before and you didn't bother replying, what is that meant to be (second pic) and when and where??   

The first picture falls into the category of.................................. mysterious/distant/blur/fake/joke/kitten/whatever you like, it proves nothing!

There is also a suggestion the second pic is a recording, where is the rest of it, and how come that is the best image???????????????????????????

Edited by Deker
41 minutes ago, Deker said:

I asked before and you didn't bother replying, what is that meant to be (second pic) and when and where??   

The first picture falls into the category of.................................. mysterious/distant/blur/fake/joke/kitten/whatever you like, it proves nothing!

There is also a suggestion the second pic is a recording, where is the rest of it, and how come that is the best image???????????????????????????

The video has now been put up more than once, sorry I didn’t bother to reply to you immediately but as you may notice rather a lot of you like to bombard me at the same time and I,m not the most literate person in the world, the funny thing is a few people from Canada have now seen the footage and don’t even flinch just look and see a cougar as they like to call them, I,m done with the rowing and moaning on here so won’t be engaging to much with anyone who’s sole purpose is just that, the first pic is quite clearly a large feline in a thermal scope, there is a story to it that I won’t bother you with but there is absolutely no doubt what either one of those are to people that no what they are looking at, I would also like to say that despite what anyone thinks there is no onus on me to PROVE anything to anyone I do what I do for myself and am more than happy with my own truth so if you enjoy it join in if you just want to start with the usual bickering  just go to the football or boxing thread or something because for me this is just a repetitive circle that is constantly going back to the beginning because people just jump in and demand there own answers without bothering to read the thread or go on the podcast that I have linked in a lot of times, so just for you one last time here is the video please watch it till the end and don’t say it’s a Siamese as that is very embarrassing ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, paulus said:

Without being able to identify scale in relation to that video then surly it can only be called a cat, 

To be honest mate there is an attempt to get the scaling done as we speak but I would say personally that video does not need scaling, it is quite clearly a puma, everyone I,ve shown the original to agree, even foxdropper almost admitted it before backtracking a normal cats tail would barely show up on thermal which is why I stuck a still up of the tail as it is clearly massive, I,ve probably seen more hoax’s than anyone which also makes this video so exciting, the hardest part of the scaling is not giving to much away as there are a lot of identifying features there and it is on someone’s perm, and one of the only conditions the guy asked when he handed it over was his plot isn’t identified in anyway so we have to respect that but pictures and hopefully some bone samples will follow soon ??

• paulus locked this topic