• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

Apparently they are in the forests of the Ardennes, which is a little over an hour from me. An area which is nowhere near as remote as many parts of the UK.

I bet I could walk those forests everyday for the rest of my life & never see one, along with 90% of the Ardennes residents.....

So I guess if no one has got a decent picture of one then it would support arguments as to why the same hasn't happened in the UK.......... so does anyone have a decent pic of an Ardennes Lynx?

That dead one Greyman put up was a pretty clear picture of a lynx I thought

• Like 2

That's sounds like the Canadian Lynx. Eurasian Lynx can be double that! Still doubt they'd be killing adults. I wouldn't be too comfortable letting one knock about children though...

Double?

Yes. https://wildcatconservation.org/wild-cats/eurasia/eurasian-lynx/

In Siberia the Eurasian Lynx can apparently reach over 90lbs!!!

Edited by Born Hunter

That's sounds like the Canadian Lynx. Eurasian Lynx can be double that! Still doubt they'd be killing adults. I wouldn't be too comfortable letting one knock about children though...

Double?

Yes. https://wildcatconservation.org/wild-cats/eurasia/eurasian-lynx/

In Siberia the Eurasian Lynx can apparently reach over 90lbs!!!

Most northern examples of species often tend to be bigger. I should imagine in our neck the woods, those sizes from beast wouldn't too far off. I read euro lynx can go to 28inch in height, which is a good size animal none the less....

Apparently they are in the forests of the Ardennes, which is a little over an hour from me. An area which is nowhere near as remote as many parts of the UK.

I bet I could walk those forests everyday for the rest of my life & never see one, along with 90% of the Ardennes residents.....

So I guess if no one has got a decent picture of one then it would support arguments as to why the same hasn't happened in the UK.......... so does anyone have a decent pic of an Ardennes Lynx?

A picture of one dead lynx is hardly proof they're running wild. There's the issue of credibility and context, no?

You used the Ardennes as an example of how easily they are hidden and so how easily they could hide in the UK. That's a fair enough statement and it would be validated by the answer to mine. It's known there is a small and growing population in Ardennes, so logically if there are no good pictures of wild lynx sneaking about there then it adds credibility to why there are none of the alleged wild UK lynx. If there are good pictures of ardennes lynx then the point you made works against the argument for uk wild lynx.

I know of folks who used to work in disposal of zoo animals, I also know of other folks who have falsified evidence of big cats for the laugh. Do not doubt the potential for seemingly air tight evidence to be bullshit!

I think it's well established that Lynx have escaped and had a spell of running wild, even very recently. I don't think it's established there is a self sustaining wild population.

• Like 2

A picture of one dead lynx is hardly proof they're running wild. There's the issue of credibility and context, no?

You used the Ardennes as an example of how easily they are hidden and so how easily they could hide in the UK. That's a fair enough statement and it would be validated by the answer to mine. It's known there is a small and growing population in Ardennes, so logically if there are no good pictures of wild lynx sneaking about there then it adds credibility to why there are none of the alleged wild UK lynx. If there are good pictures of ardennes lynx then the point you made works against the argument for uk wild lynx.

No not proof, I've go no idea of validity of that pic, but if it was actually out of gamekeepers freezer, then that's a clear picture. It's already been established that escape lynx have been out for a period of time, so it doesn't seem unfeasible one could survive for the duration of it's life in the UK.

I used the example of the Ardennes because I have a very rough idea of the area, how remote it is or isn't as the case may be, it's accessibility by road etc etc., just as a comparison to very remote parts of the uk.

So I'm just guessing, when I say, that lynx may find it even easier to go unnoticed for much of the duration of their lives in some parts of the uk?

....but you have to admit we are coming from opposite ends of the spectrum here? My open mind & your self assured opinion that they are not there. Which is fine, but we are looking at things a little differently...

The big Siberian lynx can get quite heavy but I think reports of them getting past 80 pounds are probably exaggerated. There are 5 lynx at whips Nade zoo which weight varies seasonally between 15 and 18 kg. I just texted my mate who works there who gave me that info. Either way it doesn't really matter and not something I would argue about.and I don't suppose it's important whether they are capable of killing people the fact is that they don't. But if I was a sheep I would be a bit worried

Accip.

Why is it that I'm not open minded? I'm an employed professional in the field of science. I haven't got a horse in this race other than that of truth. If you think I'm opposed to evidence of big cats, you're wrong. I'm opposed to people drawing conclusions from weak evidence. Which is all I've ever seen on this sort of stuff.

I have no idea if there are or are not photos of Ardennes Lynx. I didn't pose the question because I knew the answer would support my opinion that there are no wild lynx in the UK. It's a logical question that someone looking for the truth would ask. I haven't found any pictures either by the way, which so far supports your point! Congratulations! LOL

Greyman if somebody came back from safari and said they had taken that photo people would say what a great picture . But because it was taken in England there will always be questions. For me it shows a cat for sure and I see a leopard but maybe that's because I want to see one? Even a 100% definite picture will bring doubters or accusations of fakery.

Edited by beast

Greyman if somebody came back from safari and said they had taken that photo people would say what a great picture . But because it was taken in England there will always be questions. For me it shows a cat for sure and I see a leopard but maybe that's because I want to see one? Even a 100% definite picture will bring doubters or accusations of fakery.

If you applied the same principles of science or law to judging that photo you would be hard pressed to find either community judge it as proof mate. If it was from S.Africa or Botswana etc then it would make it very plausible but even then it's not strong enough at all to make it a fact that it's of big cat.

It'd be torn to bits under peer review or in a court and that's the standard we demand of other science and so is the standard we need to hold this stuff to.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

Accip.

Why is it that I'm not open minded? I'm an employed professional in the field of science. I haven't got a horse in this race other than that of truth. If you think I'm opposed to evidence of big cats, you're wrong. I'm opposed to people drawing conclusions from weak evidence. Which is all I've ever seen on this sort of stuff.

I have no idea if there are or are not photos of Ardennes Lynx. I didn't pose the question because I knew the answer would support my opinion that there are no wild lynx in the UK. It's a logical question that someone looking for the truth would ask. I haven't found any pictures either by the way, which so far supports your point! Congratulations! LOL

Fcuking hell Born, you're hard work!! Haha....... I'm not so saying you haven't got an open mind in general, but in this subject you've always come across as though you are sure it's bollocks, which fine, that's just how I've read you.......I apologise for getting that wrong! :-)

On the subject of pics of Ardennes lynx, that's not my assumption either, I never concluded there is no photographic evidence, just making a point that most people would never know either way......

.....However I think I may of found a french language book about Ardennes Lynx on line, I'll try to get a pic of the cover up, so there may well be clear pictures!!

post-89484-0-09387100-1505814938.jpg

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

Accip.

Fcuking hell Born, you're hard work!! Haha....... I'm not so saying you haven't got an open mind in general, but in this subject you've always come across as though you are sure it's bollocks, which fine, that's just how I've read you.......I apologise for getting that wrong! :-)

On the subject of pics of Ardennes lynx, that's not my assumption either, I never concluded there is no photographic evidence, just making a point that most people would never know either way......

.....However I think I may of found a french language book about Ardennes Lynx on line, I'll try to get a pic of the cover up, so there may well be clear pictures!!

I'm fairly well known for being hard work. :D

I'm as certain as I allow myself to be about anything that lacks conclusive evidence. The lack of 'proof' (conclusive evidence) doesn't make a claim 100% untrue/impossible, simply unsupported/unproven (I hate the word proof/proven etc).

Are you self assured that there isn't a Leprechaun living in your garden? And so does that mean it's impossible for there to possibly, by some bizarre miracle, actually be a small secretive humanoid Irish speaking creature actually there? Or just incredibly implausible? That's an extreme example of where I am for the sake of clarity.

I'm interested to see what might be so these things keep my attention. But I remain of the opinion there are no wild big(ish) cats in the UK. It becomes more plausible for me when we start including shit like escaped individual ocelots/caracals etc in that claim. But that's not really what we're after here is it. Breeding populations of Leopards or Cougar is the heart of all this. That's the headline that we all have bouncing around in our fantasies.

• Like 1

Which brings up the subject of official public recognition again. I know Greyman has been laughed at on here about claims of cover-ups, disposal of bodies etc, but it is an interesting point & one worth looking at.

Would it really be in the public interest to make it official that such animals exist?

Say for example during the filming of something like Springwatch, they got some night footage of a leopard type cat prowling through the Cotswolds, would they air that film? Would they f**k!! (I'm not implying they have lads....haha)

Maybe such thoughts are just far fetched, but if proof of such cats existed in the British countryside, I think there would be some very careful consideration about making it public.

Accip.

I'm fairly well known for being hard work. :D

I'm as certain as I allow myself to be about anything that lacks conclusive evidence. The lack of 'proof' (conclusive evidence) doesn't make a claim 100% untrue/impossible, simply unsupported/unproven (I hate the word proof/proven etc).

Are you self assured that there isn't a Leprechaun living in your garden? And so does that mean it's impossible for there to possibly, by some bizarre miracle, actually be a small secretive humanoid Irish speaking creature actually there? Or just incredibly implausible? That's an extreme example of where I am for the sake of clarity.

I'm interested to see what might be so these things keep my attention. But I remain of the opinion there are no wild big(ish) cats in the UK. It becomes more plausible for me when we start including shit like escaped individual ocelots/caracals etc in that claim. But that's not really what we're after here is it. Breeding populations of Leopards or Cougar is the heart of all this. That's the headline that we all have bouncing around in our fantasies.

I agree, it's all about such animals surviving & breeding, but released & escaped animals could of survived for 10 plus years, which may account for many sightings over the years, that are often discredited as fantasy.

What I'd never considered before, until Greyman started posting on this subject, was the question of hybrids? Tilimangro gave an interesting account last week of seeing a cat, that was obviously not the 'classic' leopard sighting, but a large cat all the same......just another interesting avenue I thought.

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1
  • paulus locked this topic
  • paulus unlocked this topic