Workers Out Of Non Workers

2000 years of selective breeding in sighthounds for the chase aint gonna be lost in a generation or two.

very true a dog that set the standard for me his mother never done a days work

look at how many good lurchers that have come from greyhounds and non working bulls or collies

Really.Maybe thats why 90% of bull crosses are completely shit
  • Like 7

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really.Maybe thats why 90% of bull crosses are completely shit

I'd always choose a pup from a long line of hard worked lurchers above a pup from the litter sister to the best bitch in the land or litter brother to the best dog in the land if they didn't work no m

Pavarottis brother can't hold a tune

It can be sods law when breeding anything,you can put the best to the best and get nothing then in exceptional cases somebody else gets cracking dogs bred from curs.Worker to worker will always have the most dogs that make the grade but like I say there is always an exception.

• Like 1

Going back a few years maybe 20 or so i bred a litter of Lurchers out of non working parents kept 2 back and they turned out to do what i expected them to do . The one bitch ( Pam) i named her was as good as any iv seen

Apart from Hancock bred dogs have anyone tried the same ?

As the majority of workers are bred the same now its not a surprise when the minority of litters make the grade.

On the subject of breeding from failed track bitches I can't see the problem if you know what your looking for. Some of them bitches have great drive and heart they simply are not fast enough for the track but plenty fast enough for the field. A friend ran one on about 20 years ago that was a demon on foxes could lift rabbits for fun on the lamp and was a natural jumper. I would of loved a first cross out of her but she never broke down. A lot of very fast greyhounds are also gutless curs.

My great uncles used to run hares in Ireland many years ago my dad used to tell me they used greyhounds and they were normally failed track dogs not dogs that weren't fast enough they were normally dogs that wouldn't run the track and if they were the runts of the litter these dogs were bred off good track dogs but just not good enough for the track he would tell me tales of dogs being run all day on hard ground and his uncles bringing the dogs back on there shoulders after a hard days work mine only go round the block and there on my shoulders ha ha ha

I'd always choose a pup from a long line of hard worked lurchers above a pup from the litter sister to the best bitch in the land or litter brother to the best dog in the land if they didn't work no matter how well bred..I like to tip the odds in my favour & by worker to worker your doing that imo ✌

• Like 4

Ok they all work standards differ proven lines can give thee a big idea of traits strengths and weaknesses .one can get decide the breed type and the if the traits are gonna be a suitable type to suit the given land thy will be running.not all saluki greys have endless stamina not all collie six greys are brainy efficient mooching dogs and so on,with a line tested line it becomes more predictable.atb bunnys.

I'd always choose a pup from a long line of hard worked lurchers above a pup from the litter sister to the best bitch in the land or litter brother to the best dog in the land if they didn't work no matter how well bred..I like to tip the odds in my favour & by worker to worker your doing that imo ✌

his old fella had the voice of a song bird ,in the breeding see :D
  • Like 2

Nothing to do with dogs but I raced pigeons quite successfully for 20 years and it wasn't always the best racers that breed the best racers. Some birds would just breed winners but not win much themselves. I'd say it's the same for dogs. Imo

• Like 2

Nothing to do with dogs but I raced pigeons quite successfully for 20 years and it wasn't always the best racers that breed the best racers. Some birds would just breed winners but not win much themselves. I'd say it's the same for dogs. Imo

. Birds bred fa performance such has pigeons are a good learning curve for learns one the basics about producers of good fliers short sprinters distance birds etc . Of course it's the same for livestock great producers can quite often be mediocre there sells where great animals can't give thee nothing finding the producer his the key to all good livestock hence line bred types one can get both decent above average workers and good above average producers Breeding anything else ta me f1three quarters out xes are just that atb bunnys.

. Birds bred fa performance such has pigeons are a good learning curve for learns one the basics about producers of good fliers short sprinters distance birds etc . Of course it's the same for livestock great producers can quite often be mediocre there sells where great animals can't give thee nothing finding the producer his the key to all good livestock hence line bred types one can get both decent above average workers and good above average producers Breeding anything else ta me f1three quarters out xes are just that atb bunnys.

It took me a while to interpret that Bill,only then did i concur :D .

• Like 1