What Does Being British Mean To You?

I always understood race as your ethnic group, so.....

Northern Europeans are white

Africans are black

Asians are black/brown

So, white, black, Asian as the continents you originate from are made up of people of those colours.

Is that too simple ?

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me it's the indomitable spirit in the face of adversity where we Brits historically come to our own.   The Battle Of Britain fighter pilots outnumbered 4-1 but still went up every day and fought

The best thing about being British is that you dont have to be American.

Being British to me is walking and hunting the lad my grandparents did,drinking the same Ale in the same pubs they did.Visiting every corner of our Isle and exploring the fauna and flora.Having the ha

Posted Images

Definitely got African in him, no table manners! :laugh:

I presume the little chap is yours? Bloody sweet little lad!

edited, or girl! :laugh:

Girl! & yes half Algerian DNA..........obvious, ain't it?

• Like 2

So in my opinion your ethnic group is your ethnic group and then your country is your tribe as such........so it's incorrect to say a half cast can not be British but correct to say they are not white.

That's logic to me.

They would in fact say not be black/British it would be more correct to say they are European/African.......

Edited by WILF

My wife was born on an army base in germany but she isn't German ;)

Military bases are the same as Embassies they fall under the Jurisdiction of the Country in them and for legal purposes are classed as part of the country occupying them hence Diplomatic priviledge

Potato famine. lol

Sorry Jonjon79......you put Irish and British in the same sentence there. You must have made a typo.

Most people in Britain have no idea what the famine was or what it actually meant.

A million + starved to death and the same again having to emigrate.......they dont know about any of that.

It means nothing if you don't explain mate ;)

a British author this year released a book about the potato famine in 1845 and he wanted to set the record straight and denounce the tales from the Irish that the British deliberately let them starve by exporting all the other crops back to Britain. While doing his research he found out that it was true and he went ahead and published his book stating that the British/English did in fact cause the famine and 1 million plus died and a few million emigrated as a result.

My wife was born on an army base in germany but she isn't German ;)

Military bases are the same as Embassies they fall under the Jurisdiction of the Country in them and for legal purposes are classed as part of the country occupying them hence Diplomatic priviledge

Yes I'm aware of that :)

So in my opinion your ethnic group is your ethnic group and then your country is your tribe as such........so it's incorrect to say a half cast can not be British but correct to say they are not white.

That's logic to me.

ok lets go along with that,,,,wich brings me back to my original question ,,,at what part in the dilution do they become british,,,,,1/4...1/8...1/16 ect

Potato famine. lol

Sorry Jonjon79......you put Irish and British in the same sentence there. You must have made a typo.

Most people in Britain have no idea what the famine was or what it actually meant.

A million + starved to death and the same again having to emigrate.......they dont know about any of that.

It means nothing if you don't explain mate ;)

a British author this year released a book about the potato famine in 1845 and he wanted to set the record straight and denounce the tales from the Irish that the British deliberately let them starve by exporting all the other crops back to Britain. While doing his research he found out that it was true and he went ahead and published his book stating that the British/English did in fact cause the famine and 1 million plus died and a few million emigrated as a result.

I have been to the famine museum and its shocking when you know the fact, more shocking still is that we treated people who live 50 miles away from the mainland and are exactly the same ethnically worse than we treated some of the fuzzy wuzzys in darkest Africa.

The Irish were held in no regard at all that's as plain as day.

• Like 1

That's logic to me.

ok lets go along with that,,,,wich brings me back to my original question ,,,at what part in the dilution do they become british,,,,,1/4...1/8...1/16 ect

They are british any time they like as they affiliate/are adopted by that tribe but they can never be European........I think that's how my logic gos !! Blimey !! Lol

I always understood race as your ethnic group, so.....

Northern Europeans are white

Africans are black

Asians are black/brown

So, white, black, Asian as the continents you originate from are made up of people of those colours.

Is that too simple ?

So where exactly do Slavs fit in, or Turks, or Persians, or Western Indians, or North Africans etc. All these people are the result of being in racial contact zones. They are clearly different from the peoples from Northern Europe, Sub Saharan Africa or East/Central Asia or Australia where we find the racial extremes in physical appearance.

The lines between races/sub species are blurred so long as they have long term contact and genetic mixing. To define races has to be considered as an average thing rather than a strict breed standard so to speak. lol.

Geneticists look at allele frequencies, basically how often certain genes appear in a given population. What you'll see in the entire human population is that the occurrence of these genetic traits isn't fixed in one location and then disappears in the next, the traits slowly become less common until clearly the population in location A is easily and identifiably different to that in B.

Also, I'd argue that ethnicity is different again as it takes into account cultural behaviour/practices as well as race. But that's another discussion.

• Like 2

That's logic to me.

They are british any time they like as they affiliate/are adopted by that tribe but they can never be European........I think that's how my logic gos !! Blimey !! Lol

ok yeh i get that... :thumbs:

wilf do you concider yourself english,,,i know i do ,,,and to my knowlage theres no asian or black blood in my history,,,there is scots welsh and dutch that i know of....but there could be other stuff i dont know of....and i think i remember you saying you were from showman stock,,,i dont know feck all about that,,but do they share history with romany gypsys???

we know marshy on here is of romany blood,,,,but hes still english to me,,,and they have indian roots..