Metal Detecting

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lizzie the first 1560's

Found this today.....     A half penny. Nothing special but one of my first coin finds so I'm chuffed to bits. Using my new garrett ace 250 can't wait to get back out with it.

Eric Lawes,old guy who died last year,the legend goes he was going into town to get some golf clubs as he was on the very of retiring and wanted a hobby to keep himself occupied,he saw a mate of his w

Posted Images

Think its on youtube mackem , remember seeing a piece about 2 blokes diving in the river in the middle of durham , there finds where amazing

Thatsbthe one steve,they didnt even use a detector on the footage i saw,just dry suits and into the water which was fairly shallow,if you had a decent detector in that general area or to whatever distance downstream you would have an interesting session.

• Like 1

I once found a roman coin by eye. It had surfaced and was sat on top of the soil in a pea field..

As it happens the rabbits had eaten the peas off this part of the field

I found a Roman offering bowl made of what looked like bronze with 3 parallel lines around the rim with a hare on each side,walking along on some permission that had been turned over for the first time in my lifetime and that's 58yrs,we had just bolted a fox from a small drain made of very tiny bricks and about 20yds away lying on the top covered in clay was a bowl that I nearly trod on,I picked it up laughing saying here's a Roman bowl,upon getting home I threw the bag in the shed and forgot about it,I used to tread over it for at least a year then whilst in London the wife and I went the British museum,in there was the same bowl,upon arriving home I went down the shed and washed the clay off it inside and out,next day I took it locally to Chester museum to have it appraised,it was between 80 and 150ad,they paid me 350pounds for it,they asked where it was found but I never gave the true location saying I dug it up in my wife's parents garden,apparently they have never found an east gate connecting Wirral,Meols,etc to Chester,one day when I buy a metal detector I will look on the fields around my permission, the laugh for me is that I quite often see metal detecting clubs who pay the farmer but they are nowhere near to my find,I took some pics of the drain bricks and they are tiny handmade things,I also looked on google earth and you can see what have been large buildings shapes in the soil,WM Edited by Plucky1
  • Like 4

thing is with detecting,,apart from the strange looks of people......lol.[my inferiority complex forces me to go out at night!!!..the thought of that find and feel of maybe the last person to have touched this,was maybe whatever years ago..poaching and detecting sorta go hand in hand..when permission is scarce of course........

• Like 4

thing is with detecting,,apart from the strange looks of people......lol.[my inferiority complex forces me to go out at night!!!..the thought of that find and feel of maybe the last person to have touched this,was maybe whatever years ago..poaching and detecting sorta go hand in hand..when permission is scarce of course........

If you could attach your coils to your feet you could say you were just testing out your new snow shoes..

• Like 3