Metal Detecting

Go for it lanesra I am sure you won't regret it! Get a basic simple machine to see if detecting is for you instead of going for an expensive complicated one, that will come in time. ATB

Any advice on what I should get , I'd rather get something worth getting & pay a bit more , even if I don't use it often the option is always there & more importantly I won't miss the treasure ;)

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lizzie the first 1560's

Found this today.....     A half penny. Nothing special but one of my first coin finds so I'm chuffed to bits. Using my new garrett ace 250 can't wait to get back out with it.

Eric Lawes,old guy who died last year,the legend goes he was going into town to get some golf clubs as he was on the very of retiring and wanted a hobby to keep himself occupied,he saw a mate of his w

Posted Images

Go for it lanesra I am sure you won't regret it! Get a basic simple machine to see if detecting is for you instead of going for an expensive complicated one, that will come in time. ATB

Any advice on what I should get , I'd rather get something worth getting & pay a bit more , even if I don't use it often the option is always there & more importantly I won't miss the treasure ;)

Find out if there are any detecting clubs in your area as they are a mine of information! The members have years of knowledge and experience and can help with machines to identifying finds! I am a member of one in Swansea and thought I knew it all but boy was I wrong. A farmer who had land I hunted on asked the same question in regards to first machines and the Garret range of machines were up there. Read the manual thoroughly before you venture out as it can be frustrating when all you hear are beeps and buzzes and can soon dampen your enthusiasm but patience does pay off. ATB

• Like 2

Another two pieces of kit that I find useful are a good spade or trowel and a pin pointer! I personally use a trowel but many use a spade, mine is an Evolution Extreme trowel very strong! The pin pointer I use is a Garret and to be honest don't know how I used to manage without it! Instead of swinging the detector around looking for an object in a hole the pinpointer makes it so easy!

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, do you bury stuff to learn how to use the detectors?

TC

Some people do airtests,others have test beds with a couple of coins buried at known depths,others just go ahead and use their machine after passing their coil over coins on a lawn,its all about getting to know your machine and how it reacts.
  • Like 1