Collie Greyhound

some old 3/4 crosses, WM

attachicon.gifnew folder.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN1100.JPG

Nice pics, really like the bottom one was he any good?

Here's the rub Marvel, the top dog thats black and white killed his first fox at 9 months old and I never seen him turn away from one,if he got on terms then it was "curtains",he stood 27"TTS great rabbiting dog but lousy on hares,kept him for 4 yrs then gave him to a lad that just done fox, the bottom bitch was bought in 2004 stood 27"TTS would kill anything but was running sly on fox single handed,she would either back off and let them get into cover or bark,running alongside, doubled up she was brave but liked the arse end too much,she was also a bully with the terriers, re-homed her aged 5yrs and glad to be rid of her.

Somewhereyournot, if I read this right then you haven't done anything yet with your collie/cross, I would say wait and see how you go with it before defending "Hancocks" dogs, this is an open forum for debate and we all only write what we have experienced and I have written what mine were about, I have had quite a few others as well but finding pics is a pain, the best collie cross I owned was out of "Chuckles",in fact I think I have a pic of Phil Lloyd hunting him somewhere and probably the last person to actually hunt Hancocks early dogs for him,she was a 5/8 around 1986/7 ish,tackle anything in style and made a good local reputation for herself until breaking her neck aged 3 and a half, she could lamp all night with a good catch rate,would bring birds back live to hand and never seemed to tire, single handed fox and hare but only stood about 24"TTS, WM

i had one out of chuckles 3/4 bred showed very good early potential but only lived till 2.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The half x could be on the heavier side if it throws strong to the collie, you should stand a better chance of a racy one 3/4 bred. I have a half bred hancock bitch here now 9 months old, nice and rac

My pup off merlin

What type of lurcher do you favour gilbey? i liked the saluki/lurcher cross collie lurcher for edible game.

Posted Images

The bearded collie first cross are typey, very wheaten- like. anyone got first hand experience with them??

a few lads with jut beardy x grey are finding them hard work mate.
How come?? Nervy, stubborn? Handsome is as handsome does I suppose.....
stubbornness if not handled right mate. Gotta know how they tick. I'd say daytime hunting I'd have one.
i had a half cross a long time ago took a long time to mature bomb proof temp easy to handle.Hunting up daytime was his strongest point.
Liken them more and more. So anyone breeding a litter that aren't Handcock and ain't 300 quid.....haha
Try n find a good strong collie bitch or a few mates between ya and then get that big black greyhound of max hardcore over it pal..
  • Like 1

some old 3/4 crosses, WM

attachicon.gifnew folder.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN1100.JPG

Nice pics, really like the bottom one was he any good?

Here's the rub Marvel, the top dog thats black and white killed his first fox at 9 months old and I never seen him turn away from one,if he got on terms then it was "curtains",he stood 27"TTS great rabbiting dog but lousy on hares,kept him for 4 yrs then gave him to a lad that just done fox, the bottom bitch was bought in 2004 stood 27"TTS would kill anything but was running sly on fox single handed,she would either back off and let them get into cover or bark,running alongside, doubled up she was brave but liked the arse end too much,she was also a bully with the terriers, re-homed her aged 5yrs and glad to be rid of her.

Somewhereyournot, if I read this right then you haven't done anything yet with your collie/cross, I would say wait and see how you go with it before defending "Hancocks" dogs, this is an open forum for debate and we all only write what we have experienced and I have written what mine were about, I have had quite a few others as well but finding pics is a pain, the best collie cross I owned was out of "Chuckles",in fact I think I have a pic of Phil Lloyd hunting him somewhere and probably the last person to actually hunt Hancocks early dogs for him,she was a 5/8 around 1986/7 ish,tackle anything in style and made a good local reputation for herself until breaking her neck aged 3 and a half, she could lamp all night with a good catch rate,would bring birds back live to hand and never seemed to tire, single handed fox and hare but only stood about 24"TTS, WM

Im not defending Hancock. I'm jut saying I know of a good few lads who keep making good or decent dogs from Hancock stuff. My other collie x has Hancock blood in him, decent on rabbit n retrieved few shot hares. Lat season he was injured most last season by being too full on. Show good signs on other things that we have passed.

Il be first to say on here of my Hancock pup is a wanker. Got no time for shit, a shit dog takes the same from you as a Good one time will tell regards to him.

• Like 1

had a 3/4 grey 1/8 beardie 1/8 border years ago think sire was cyril if i remember correctly but on her alone id have another,funny i still remember our first trip out on the lamp,i slipped her from about 15 yards i sworn she seen its ears come up and go back down,she literaly just fecked off into the dark lol,im now running this fecking rabbit thats bolting for the hedgerow calling the dog as i ran :icon_redface: lol,anyway after that fiasco she made the rest look easy,live to hand every time,fastest dog iv seen on the 0-60 she was 26tts although not sure how she would have faired on a long haul i have heard this type can lack bit wind

• Like 1

Had a 3/4 grey 1/4 border collie back in the early 90s.dog was bred in wales.dog took all game in style would kill daytime hares like rabbits.took fox single day and night liked to get in the stop end of a dig.ferreted and lamped rabbits.worked unreal with bushers.was the best lurcher i ever seen was outstanding at every job and lived to hunt.was killed at 3 in a kennel fight.will try and find out who bred him.never see a colllie cross no where near as good as him.the rest of the colliexs i seen were fair rabbiters at best that was it.

• Like 1

Had a 3/4 grey 1/4 border collie back in the early 90s.dog was bred in wales.dog took all game in style would kill daytime hares like rabbits.took fox single day and night liked to get in the stop end of a dig.ferreted and lamped rabbits.worked unreal with bushers.was the best lurcher i ever seen was outstanding at every job and lived to hunt.was killed at 3 in a kennel fight.will try and find out who bred him.never see a colllie cross no where near as good as him.the rest of the colliexs i seen were fair rabbiters at best that was it.

Saw 2 which were said to have been bred in bala north wales in the 90s good 3/4 breds.

Not having a go mate. But you say ran the dog on until two then give it away. I presume u tried it on fox quite abit before this and persevered with it before eventually say it not for u?

In my mind and owning collie xs or any lurcher I wouldn't enter it to fox. Until it was 2. But that's just me. Atb

My lurchers are out from a young age and plenty of time put into them. I don t try them on fox , they ll take fox when they re ready. They re out with hounds and terriers and lamped regularly. He showed no interest in fox and I know the chap I gave him to who thought he was a cracking dog. But he still never took a fox.
  • Like 1

The bearded collie first cross are typey, very wheaten- like. anyone got first hand experience with them??

stubbornness if not handled right mate. Gotta know how they tick. I'd say daytime hunting I'd have one.
i had a half cross a long time ago took a long time to mature bomb proof temp easy to handle.Hunting up daytime was his strongest point.
must be a trait, my old 1/4 bred is/was in his element hunting up even on barren ground.

Thats interesting mine is 1/4 beardy and his nose and day time find skills are very good. Often air scents some thing bloody miles away. Or at least feels miles away lol

Edited by terryd

must be a trait, my old 1/4 bred is/was in his element hunting up even on barren ground.

Thats interesting mine is 1/4 beardy and his nose and day time find skills are very good. Often air scents some thing bloody miles away. Or at least feels miles away lol

darbo and terryd does/did your dogs hunt up for long periods for little or no reward?

darbo and terryd does/did your dogs hunt up for long periods for little or no reward?

Yes gilbey when it eventually found it was too tired to catch :laugh: only joking the dog would hunt up like a spaniel very good work ethic certainly no world beater but a honest dog :thumbs:

• Like 1

yea he don't like giving up and will keep trying to take me back to it and try and find it

• Like 1

Yes gilbey when it eventually found it was too tired to catch :laugh: only joking the dog would hunt up like a spaniel very good work ethic certainly no world beater but a honest dog :thumbs:

lol iv just got mine to go off, i mean hunt up big resh beds and fell sides when there's hardly anything about.

lol iv just got mine to go off, i mean hunt up big resh beds and fell sides when there's hardly anything about.

Mine was the best hunting up lurcher ive owned never stopped questing for scent .A long time ago a decent potfiller would be a good way to describe him.

• Like 1

Mine was the best hunting up lurcher ive owned never stopped questing for scent .A long time ago a decent potfiller would be a good way to describe him.

thanks for reply's lads, he's the only collie cross iv had, just wondered if others were the same. Edited by Gilbey