Collie Greyhound

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The half x could be on the heavier side if it throws strong to the collie, you should stand a better chance of a racy one 3/4 bred. I have a half bred hancock bitch here now 9 months old, nice and rac

My pup off merlin

What type of lurcher do you favour gilbey? i liked the saluki/lurcher cross collie lurcher for edible game.

Posted Images

Ye the naughty boys I wouldn't have a pup off them as too much variations some 23 some 29 some built like snakes others are big dogs.

The border x however, are bred in a way you can almost predict what you will get if u like.

I would rather go else where believe me. But I wanted a genuine 3/4 greyhound 1/4 border collie and that's what i got.

The comment about hares was only to point out about the stamina in them.

Seems like u twist my words abit,you brought up 3/4 runs, because I said that ABOUT HARES...not a few rabbits and odd hare...like I also said, one fella o know with a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie, caught 22 rabbits think it was an two hares. That day it obviously didn't catch everything It ran, think it had three runs on hare and probably ran say 30 rabbits to catch the 22? That's some going for a 3/4 bred considering they blow out ain't it? If they were my pictures I would put them up no problem.

I'm trying my best not to get in to bickering but what I know, who I know. And what o have seen of them, there's no denying alot of people would happily feed them. Lol

• Like 3

I had a 3/4 bred out of stormin Norman to a greyhound called jet. A blue merle pup who matured to 28 tts and was very easy to train and decent on hare and rabbit but was a coward on anything else. I explained to David when I went for a pup that I wanted a collie cross for mainly fox and was advised to go for a pup from stormin Norman as he was throwing decent stuff. I ran this dog on till he was just over 2 years old and still he would run along foxes barking. I rang Hancock and explained how much time I'd put into the dog and how dissapointed I was. His reply was to come and try another. I gave the dog away and will never buy another . I do know lads with some of his dogs that are decent all rounders but the amount of pups churned out your eventually gonna throw now and again. Tried em and not for me .

• Like 1

Not having a go mate. But you say ran the dog on until two then give it away. I presume u tried it on fox quite abit before this and persevered with it before eventually say it not for u?

In my mind and owning collie xs or any lurcher I wouldn't enter it to fox. Until it was 2. But that's just me. Atb

• Like 1

The half x could be on the heavier side if it throws strong to the collie, you should stand a better chance of a racy one 3/4 bred. I have a half bred hancock bitch here now 9 months old, nice and racy, hopefully will do the ferreting/lamping job well enough.

DSC_1712_zps5rxpxesk.jpg

Is that a bitch by the name of Sian? Apologies if I've got you confused wi someone else.

Yes it is mate.

Yup

I`ve seen dogs on here (This site) that get bigged up, folk want to breed off it, great dog etc etc , and when I SAW it I was less than impressed and would never consider breeding it, not that great a worker at all.

But the internet says they are great so they must be eh ?

Same as the internet says some are bad, so they must be eh ?

• Like 2

Guy said was OK. So here the 3/4 bred off Hancock, seem to have plenty in the tank for most people? All rabbit found by herself no ferrets, just walked up n worked for. The bitch is dead now unfortunately,

I know of other Hancock bred lurchers plenty capable of filling freezers.

Il have to wait few months yet before I even start my piece of shit Hancock lol

post-100843-0-61795900-1472916709_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The bearded collie first cross are typey, very wheaten- like. anyone got first hand experience with them??

a few lads with jut beardy x grey are finding them hard work mate.

How come?? Nervy, stubborn? Handsome is as handsome does I suppose.....

Somewhereyournot, I would say that different lads are easily pleased, I can have 3-4 runs in one field but what about the rest of the day, you may will have been lucky with your dog but I expect a lot from a lurcher, if you've never had a good one you'd never know, I have been to "Hancocks" kennel many times and knew him through Plummer, he'd drop a stud dog off there to use if he was away or busy writing bullshit, the whole kennels is built on a bed of lies, "Merle" never took a fox in his life and yet he produced crosses that did,"Richard Jones" was the better stud dog with the beardie in there,he produced some outstanding lurchers back in the day that took all quarry with great coats, the main difference between the 80's and the shit he produces now is the quality of the greyhounds,back then he only had retired or decent bred coursing greyhounds that were stood 26"TTS or larger,these dogs were tested and well run before he got them and he wouldn't take any old shit, my lurchers came out of "westmeade" greyhounds,the greyhounds he takes now are failed or retired track dogs, not used to the sinew twisting or wrench turning of a good hare, most have poor feet, Sally who runs the business now tells me she simply cannot get decent greyhound stock since coursing was banned in the UK, the stud dogs he has now are untested on either stock or quarry and the only exercise they get is running up and down his yard, you are buying a pet that may or may not work depending on how the genetics fall, old bitches throw poor pups, this is not my opinion but fact, you will get the odd good mix but it will depend on the quality of a particular cross or greyhound, here are some pics of my last visit, there were 140 pups on the yard that day and lots of bitches due to whelp, he has no other business now just his and sally's income from puppy farming, WM

attachicon.gifDSC_3209.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_3219.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_3220.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_3229.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_3214.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_3212.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_3247.JPG

Runs look nice n clean at least n dogs n pups look well enough..

Yup

I`ve seen dogs on here (This site) that get bigged up, folk want to breed off it, great dog etc etc , and when I SAW it I was less than impressed and would never consider breeding it, not that great a worker at all.

But the internet says they are great so they must be eh ?

Same as the internet says some are bad, so they must be eh ?

Internet made wonder dogs :yes:

• Like 1