What Would You Do?

Colour shouldn't matter imo-but I would want some answers from who ever the stock came from.atb with them dc

I've bred these dogs for years an still the odd black an tan or chocolate has cropped up. As long as there working I don't care, atb craic
I've had my black dogs for over 20 yrs-had blacks,chocolate, bronze,brindle, fawn colour pups but never b&t.I've a pup here now who's dam is brindle and sire is chocolate dog 1/4 bull 3/4 patt.get the odd pup with white star on chest but never ever white feet.makes no odds to me personally what colour they are -but if I had white pups then I'd be pissed off and wanting to know why they lying about the breeding.they must have Russell in them imo.atb dc
how can you say must be russell in them when the 1/4 bull you mention may lead to a white pup cropping up?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you thought the parents were good enough to breed from why would a colour bother you ? Half the reason terrier work has gone tits upwards is people breeding for colour or stamp, work is the reason

There's no such mythical animal as a "pure Patterdale " , they've got border, bull and Black and tan in the mix. They're a relatively new type, show me any pictures of a family of "pure Patterdale "

Rippem the reason we all say it's a throw back is because we all know there's no such thing as a pure Patterdale. You're getting obsessed with a piece of paper and a colour. The line of terriers I ke

Posted Images

If you thought the parents were good enough to breed from why would a colour bother you ? Half the reason terrier work has gone tits upwards is people breeding for colour or stamp, work is the reason to breed and the reason you keep them.

spot on. I have a litter here from an old dog still working to a good bitch. First question a lad asked. What are their heads like ? I could nt care a shit as long as they graft

Lad I know had a white smooth coated pup out of pats, but that definitely came from bull as be added the bull himself , but in his caseche culled it atb craic

why cull it because of its colour, it might have been the best worker!
I did not cull it, the lad that bred them did

dillydog,yes your right a good worker is a good worker. But what if you were told there was Lakeland or Russle blood in your line and it did produce a white or black and tan? Does that tell you someone lied about the blood line of dog? Because if those 2 colors are considered a pat shouldn't there be a lot more around then?

And I'm not saying color should matter, what I'm asking is would those colors tell you that there is other blood in the lines? Like Russle if it's white or Lakeland If it produces black and tans. Because I always thought a pat should be black or chocolate not white or black and tan.and if a breeder tells you there is no Lakeland or Russle in the blood and you breed it and out comes those colors would you question the breeder?

• Like 1

If people were to look back far enough there would be all sorts in the dogs . Back years ago well before my time they would put the best to the best in the area or village . Back then people didn't travel like today . So as I've said if you look back back far enough there'll be all sorts in everybody's line .

• Like 4

In the history of the Fell terrier, which is where the patt blood came from there has been white terriers, bull blood, bedlington and border blood added. The old breeders didn't care as long as it grafted, so with a gene pool like that there is always the chance that years later a white will be thrown. My own pup is one of those, if she was Black and Tan she would easily pass as a lakie, black as a patt. She is to all intents a white fell but everyone calls her a Russell.

At 14 months old, I don't care what colour she is as long as she starts grafting this season or next. Only thing I will say is she is a slower type to develop than the other fells I have had .

• Like 2

dillydog, I meant to say what if you were told there was no Lakeland or Russle in the blood and it those type popped up. Would you question the breeder? And I see a lot of folks say that there could be Lakeland or bull or whatever back in the ped. But after the 4 gen on back wouldn't it be so distance that you would have to win the lottery to bring it back up to the front? Or call it a fluke..

I know one man has blacks a long long time, I never saw a white one or a proper black and tan. He took a litter of me in the mid nineties , his dog sire, which I owned and the mother was a chocolate fell bitch which the man I bought it off said had staff and Russell in it . the whole litter was black and same type as the dad . the was a nice tall dog white and black. He said you have Russell in your bitch. But that stock would probably throw out the white one again I say and I think I saw the proof

If people were to look back far enough there would be all sorts in the dogs . Back years ago well before my time they would put the best to the best in the area or village . Back then people didn't travel like today . So as I've said if you look back back far enough there'll be all sorts in everybody's line .

yes there very well may be some other blood way back in the ped. But when you get so many gens back it shouldn't pop up..some call it a old throw back I call it excuses for there line not being true..jmo
  • Like 1

if half on here woried about a terriers working ability and not colour and looks I think the working terrier would be in a better situation rippem if you end up with a white pup out of a litter you obviously haven't done your home work if white is not for you

• Like 1

What would you do if you bred your 2 pats and out came a white pup? Do you think that's possible? Would you keep or breed those dogs again? And how do you feel if you got black and tan pups out of a pat litter? Just curious to see what others would do. I personally wouldn't keep it or do the breeding again. In fair there was jack or something else mixed in. And is black and tan a common color in pats? Haven't really seen it. Or is that considered a Lakeland? Curious to know what others think..thanks

If such a thing were to happen then maybe a person would question whether the working terrier types, as we know them, came off the Ark or are a relatively modern creation ?

• Like 1