What Would You Do?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you thought the parents were good enough to breed from why would a colour bother you ? Half the reason terrier work has gone tits upwards is people breeding for colour or stamp, work is the reason

There's no such mythical animal as a "pure Patterdale " , they've got border, bull and Black and tan in the mix. They're a relatively new type, show me any pictures of a family of "pure Patterdale "

Rippem the reason we all say it's a throw back is because we all know there's no such thing as a pure Patterdale. You're getting obsessed with a piece of paper and a colour. The line of terriers I ke

Posted Images

What would you do if you bred your 2 pats and out came a white pup? Do you think that's possible? Would you keep or breed those dogs again? And how do you feel if you got black and tan pups out of a pat litter? Just curious to see what others would do. I personally wouldn't keep it or do the breeding again. In fair there was jack or something else mixed in. And is black and tan a common color in pats? Haven't really seen it. Or is that considered a Lakeland? Curious to know what others think..thanks

If such a thing were to happen then maybe a person would question whether the working terrier types, as we know them, came off the Ark or are a relatively modern creation ?
you hit the hammer on the head

If people were to look back far enough there would be all sorts in the dogs . Back years ago well before my time they would put the best to the best in the area or village . Back then people didn't travel like today . So as I've said if you look back back far enough there'll be all sorts in everybody's line .

yes there very well may be some other blood way back in the ped. But when you get so many gens back it shouldn't pop up..some call it a old throw back I call it excuses for there line not being true..jmo

maybe do a little reading on genetics . white is a reccessive gene and can lay dormant for many generations.

• Like 5

Most of these litters where the 'mystical' white pup pops up is not from years ago when Cyril Breay put a white dog in or Anthony Barkers Illfracombe dogs were introduced etc despite what the seller claims. But more likely because the seller bought in the litter as an unknown and passes them off as their own.

Edited by Rabbit Hunter

Interesting ? . some is down to liars though or not knowing how the dogs are bred and then selling them on as the own or coming up with things like , inventor of white patterdales or its a russel if has white coat . surely you know what a jack russel looks like , then again the all different , unless show stock

And I'm not saying color should matter, what I'm asking is would those colors tell you that there is other blood in the lines? Like Russle if it's white or Lakeland If it produces black and tans. Because I always thought a pat should be black or chocolate not white or black and tan.and if a breeder tells you there is no Lakeland or Russle in the blood and you breed it and out comes those colors would you question the breeder?

If his line continually produces workers what is their to question? If you have any doubt all you can do is ask to see the dogs from his line work.

if half on here woried about a terriers working ability and not colour and looks I think the working terrier would be in a better situation rippem if you end up with a white pup out of a litter you obviously haven't done your home work if white is not for you

I agree working should come first never said it shouldnt. I think you missed what I was asking and took it to another place. I ASKED IF YOU WERE TOLD THERE WAS NO RUSSELL OR LAKELAND IN YOUR BLOOD AND WHITE DOGS POPPED UP OR BLACK AND TANS WOULD YOU QUESTION THE BREEDER? It sounds like some of you wouldn't care if the breeder lied. Lol. That it shouldn't matter..well it should matter..
  • Like 1

Why should it matter? Working terriers are not pure breds nor should they be....They're bred to work & if you're happy with the consistent std of work your terriers perform and they are reproducing workers of that std. then the man you got them off has done you a good turn. Who cares about different colour pups providing they do the job???

• Like 2

What some of you are saying is that if you went to a breeder for a Shepard for a dog to protect the family and it was crossed with a Mal and the breeder lied about the breeding it shouldn't matter as long as it protects. That's nonsense. And every time you keep breeding out side a line you get inconsistent litters. And then when you bred a different bred to another bred your taking a gamble on how they will turn out.thats called a mutt. Might as well go to the pound and pick a dog. And I believe if a breeder tells you how the parents peds are they pop up traits of another breed I think that's a B.S move to sell a pup. Why else would the breeder lie if his cross is so great?

• Like 1

What some of you are saying is that if you went to a breeder for a Shepard for a dog to protect the family and it was crossed with a Mal and the breeder lied about the breeding it shouldn't matter as long as it protects. That's nonsense. And every time you keep breeding out side a line you get inconsistent litters. And then when you bred a different bred to another bred your taking a gamble on how they will turn out.thats called a mutt. Might as well go to the pound and pick a dog. And I believe if a breeder tells you how the parents peds are they pop up traits of another breed I think that's a B.S move to sell a pup. Why else would the breeder lie if his cross is so great?

if half on here woried about a terriers working ability and not colour and looks I think the working terrier would be in a better situation rippem if you end up with a white pup out of a litter you obviously haven't done your home work if white is not for you

I agree working should come first never said it shouldnt. I think you missed what I was asking and took it to another place. I ASKED IF YOU WERE TOLD THERE WAS NO RUSSELL OR LAKELAND IN YOUR BLOOD AND WHITE DOGS POPPED UP OR BLACK AND TANS WOULD YOU QUESTION THE BREEDER? It sounds like some of you wouldn't care if the breeder lied. Lol. That it shouldn't matter..well it should matter..

If a person bought animals of an exact physical type, and had been assured that breeding from them would only produce that type, then if your future breeding within the next generation or so proved that to be a lie, then you would have good reason to be annoyed . Type in this instance being colour ? But still relevant if the colour wasn't correct.

• Like 1

You're doing it wrong if you're hitting the hammer Pablo.

rippem,

are sire and dam related? On which side do you not trust the breeding?

Imy asking if you had pats that you were told had no other breeds in it and they turned out white or black and tan would you believe the breeder or would you know because of the colors being white or black and tan that there was other blood I it? Or would you tell everyone, HEY GUYS I GOT WHITE PATS FOR SALE! AND THE OTHER HALF OF THE LITTER IS BLACK AND TAN!

And I'm not saying color should matter, what I'm asking is would those colors tell you that there is other blood in the lines? Like Russle if it's white or Lakeland If it produces black and tans. Because I always thought a pat should be black or chocolate not white or black and tan.and if a breeder tells you there is no Lakeland or Russle in the blood and you breed it and out comes those colors would you question the breeder?

If his line continually produces workers what is their to question? If you have any doubt all you can do is ask to see the dogs from his line work.
even if a breeder has workers what does that have to do with having others breeds in the blood? Russell and Lakeland work. If you want a pat then it should be a pat. If you want a Lakeland it should be a Lakeland not a crossed up dog..unless the breeder tells you it has it in it and you still want it..