What Would You Do?

patts are a relatively new breed/type. they are very variable in type. throwing rough/smooth coats. strong or snipey heads long or short legs. often in the same litters. :yes: some lines kept for work first will only be maybe three or four generations from the early strains . despite care being taken to breed type. there will be throwbacks to russell /bull/ lakie /beddies. both in colour.type and temprement.

if i bred the litter and got a white it would be given away as a russell TYPE. as that is what it is.

some breed for shows and money they may be more consistent in type and colour as they dont need to test them so they may be ten or twenty generations from the early strains and less variable. i would do some research on the breeding of my bitch and if it was good and it worked well i would be happy

with all due respect what a load of shit! Call a spade a spade & dont bullshit...a white pup cropped up in a litter of pats ...simple as! Russell me whole!
  • Like 1

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you thought the parents were good enough to breed from why would a colour bother you ? Half the reason terrier work has gone tits upwards is people breeding for colour or stamp, work is the reason

There's no such mythical animal as a "pure Patterdale " , they've got border, bull and Black and tan in the mix. They're a relatively new type, show me any pictures of a family of "pure Patterdale "

Rippem the reason we all say it's a throw back is because we all know there's no such thing as a pure Patterdale. You're getting obsessed with a piece of paper and a colour. The line of terriers I ke

Posted Images

Color isn't a problem. The problem is when one tells you something isn't in the ped it shouldn't pop up.and when something like that pops up you question the ped. And if you wouldn't then you don't care about what your breeding. some of you say it doesn't matter as long as it works. I agree work comes first but I wanna bred a true ped that isn't gonna give me whites and black and tan lakey color dogs. If I did I would go buy one of those. I wouldn't breed a dog I don't know how it's breed. That should be basic breeding commen sense. You can't reproduce something you know nothing about..some of you don't care obviously if you have crosses I do..

• Like 1

Color isn't a problem. The problem is when one tells you something isn't in the ped it shouldn't pop up.and when something like that pops up you question the ped. And if you wouldn't then you don't care about what your breeding. some of you say it doesn't matter as long as it works. I agree work comes first but I wanna bred a true ped that isn't gonna give me whites and black and tan lakey color dogs. If I did I would go buy one of those. I wouldn't breed a dog I don't know how it's breed. That should be basic breeding commen sense. You can't reproduce something you know nothing about..some of you don't care obviously if you have crosses I do..

Unless you knew of every pup and all it's litter mates going back many many generations then you won't ever know as genes can't be seen and they throw out when they meet,two dogs from the same lines but bred apart for many years when joined back up might both carry the white gene but it'll only happen when two carriers meet and both lines may well be sworn to be pure as such..

Edited by fireman
  • Like 2

I only care that I have workers of a high standard, I know whats in my dogs for several generations as I've bred them myself, if a chocolate or black and tan pops up now an then so what ???, or you tell me what I should do ??????

the point is is that your putting too much emphasis on pedigrees.....dont get me wrong we all care & research them to the end, but work comes first & providing theyre working up to std & reproducing then the odd discoloured pup shouldnt matter! Top class dogs are hard to come by & harder to reproduce a genuine bloke who knows his dogs should realise this!
  • Like 1

If there is a russell or Lakeland 5 Gen back in the ped it should not pop up unless it's up front in the ped. I know a guy who had a litter of pits. They were black. They threw blue dogs. In the line of dogs he thought he had never was there a blue dog. But he threw it and the guy he got his dogs from said that's a old throw back. A old throw back my butt..there was staff in that blood. When folks say throw back thats an excuse to why that happen and some are dumb enough to believe that. That's like saying I have a lot of works in my ped startING in the 4 Gen back. Would you buy a pup off that? NO. Because that far back means nothing..you want workers up front in that ped.

I only care that I have workers of a high standard, I know whats in my dogs for several generations as I've bred them myself, if a chocolate or black and tan pops up now an then so what ???, or you tell me what I should do ??????
what no whites? Lol. You do what you feel is right you pay the feed bill not me.

the point is is that your putting too much emphasis on pedigrees.....dont get me wrong we all care & research them to the end, but work comes first & providing theyre working up to std & reproducing then the odd discoloured pup shouldnt matter! Top class dogs are hard to come by & harder to reproduce a genuine bloke who knows his dogs should realise this!
sorry but the ped tells you alot. And your right for the 10th time color shouldn't matter..you guys don't get it do you? Only a few of you do. When I look at old pics I don't see old timers or read about old timers and there white pats. Why didn't they have them? Because it's unexceptable color. All I know is if I have black pats and I Breed them I better get black pats not white or black and tan or blue. And hAlf of you on here have crosses that's why it's except able to some of you. I don't mix blood..I'm white I'm not gonna go breed to a black..

You started this thread by asking a question, men from Ireland, England & Wales the homelands of the working terrier have given their advice. These are countries steeped in traditions & stockmanship handed down from generations...maybe step back & consider that advice. It sounds to me you've already got your mind made up!

• Like 7