What Got You In The Game

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This man and first memory was waking up in the front of he's car when I was just a little lad and looking out the window and seeing him slipping he's dog on a hare

I over heard a bloke in a pub telling another bloke he would get him a few rabbits at weekend & i started talking to him turned out i knew his wife so she vouched for me & he took me out with

The person that got me into it the most was this guy, my Mums, Dad. By taking me to catch my first trout when I was about 5. My mum is the little lass on the right here.     If I am honest though

Posted Images

Started with ferrets then the rest followed. Lurchers, hawks shooting but lurchers have and always will be my favourite

Always used to see a bloke in my village who had lurchers when I was a kid ask him about them and what they were used for. Luckily he was a mate of my dad's so he showed me ferreting etc.

I over heard a bloke in a pub telling another bloke he would get him a few rabbits at weekend & i started talking to him turned out i knew his wife so she vouched for me & he took me out with his two lurchers the following week & I've never looked back. Sadly he died a couple of years ago. I remember first nite out saying to him have you brought any thing to carry rabbits with & he said Yes You!!! He had two Deerhound crosses that took everything Halcyon Days!!! Atb

• Like 12

Good little stories lads, my granddad and uncle always had them when I was younger I got my first as a gift of a fella I know and was hooked straight away been out a couple of years due to not havin any time but looking to get myself a lurcher pup this year can't wait

Fishing & ferrets when i was a kid, always preferred to be out, shooting & lurchers came as a got older. But chasing rabbits probably kept me at it, they really are a top little quarry, it seems people start with them as youngsters & go back to it as they slow down in old age.

• Like 2

i have family members into hunting and also my dad ferreted kept lurchers there was all manner of game at the house when i was a kid from fish to fox cubs so i just sort of took to it. i would tag along when ever i could when i was growing up or i would take the dogs and ferrets out for hours on me own

pure chance being honest , i was brought up with bull breeds and heinz 57's lol, one day walking a bullmastiff bitch, met a bloke on the dog walk with a salukix lurcher, at 1st i thought it was greyhound being it was brindle and smooth coated . i seen it catch couple rabbits the one day early morning , so starred to tag along with him few times, then about 4 months after i got my 1st lurcher, that was 30 odd years ago. my dog now Buck 1x gsd x grey prob my best lurcher of late, he will give 100% on any quarry you put him on . :thumbs::yes: . so mine was meeting a bloke on me dog walk that changed everything for me, i still like bullbreeds well bred pits+ staffs, but i will always have a lurcher around the place :yes:

• Like 2

I have always liked dogs in general and mad on fishing as far back as i can remember, got into air guns and ferrets when i was about 12-13, then a friend got a little whippet X and took me out catching rabbits on the lamp when we were about 15.

ever since i saw the little dog doing its thing i was obsessed, couldn't believe the height at which it cleared gates, the speed and durability as it picked up old coney with ease.

From that moment i always wanted a lurcher but my old queen wouldn't let me have 1 so had to wait till i moved out haha!! seen a few run since then and just before i got my own, i now love it more than ever.

My old queen tells me she would of let me have 1 if she could turn the clocks back when she see's me with my dogs now...

ATB

tom heavy

Edited by TOM HEAVY
  • Like 2

Family and hunting goes back as far as my grandfathers uncle a rogue who was caught with dogs on a big estate in South Monaghan probably 1890s, he managed to wrestle the gun off the gamekeeper and gave him a bit of a hiding , kept his head down and took the boat for America shortly after,

Dogs and hunting, digs and coursing were just part and parcel of life , stories , memories of hunts, debates

Got a terrier for digging ten years ago..dident take long to work out with out permission it's a pain in the arse..started bushing . again soon realised a lurcher was needed...so got my small bitch again...lol realised there's more hares than bunny's about so got another pup in..hoping to find a nice bushing litter coming up soon to take over as my terriers having some health problems.