Old Timers

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i am now a lot older than the men i classed as old timers when i started , many of the big names around my area where poor terriermen , the only good thing about some was they could use a spade ! i we

Im surprised and sad at the old diggers getting knocked,especially by some older lads on here.I started digging in 1967 with hairy arse Country men some were my own family.These old timers were no foo

I've always said it and a lot of lads disagree with me, but, there's a better stamp of terrier and a better stamp of terrierman now than in the past. Plus, most of the laws we have now restricting te

Posted Images

could be slightly out with the dates neil, perhaps it was early 80s, my point was that,due to a small minority making home vids, of cruelty that has no place in terrier work or hunting, all were tarnished, as we both no, these types were not the true terrier men of old, mindless idiots, at best ,but I would agree there are some very good younger men out there,that will take some beating , atb.

Was out myself yesterday, went to a second place, I only went out to hopefully see hounds work, brought my gear just in case, some of these are old timers and younger, hunting all the life, terrier work though some wouldn't have patience or real single handed terriers, any way I found a hunt, I was on my permission, my dog was down the hill to a Bury before I heard the dogs in a cover, way over the ditches, anyway feckn old boy with his hood up and about three terriers, string, sizes, I went down to see were me dog was, as soon as he saw me in front of him, it was, what the fk are you doing,. I should have said, love you as well, but I told him, go to fk,

• Like 1

Theres good and bad in every era. One thing the old boys could teach todays men is how to locate their terrier if there batteries went dead in their locater or collar at a 4 foot deep earth which if happened to 90% of todays lads they would fall to pieces clueless about how to find the dog with no plan B. I bet most lads now would send for help collar up a second dog to find the first without even trying to find it and then still claim they dont ever double up.

• Like 3

But IMO those who are good at working their terriers nowadays are better than those who were top of the tree back in the day.

I genuinely believe there's not a single thing that any of the so called legends of yesteryear could teach a good terrierman of today.

That doesn't mean I haven't got respect for them ,I do but there's better today, both man and terrier.

You think guys about nowadays could teach Buck and Breay and thing or two? Or Nuttal? He was digging in the 50's and 60's it'd be interesting getting his opinion on it.

I think from the 60's for sure and maybe further back guys were using single handed workers and striving for that and working all quarry with their dogs.

It's very easy to read old reports of 2 and 3 dogs and think they were lesser dogs, the second and third dog were often to help locate. No because the first dog walked of failed.

It's hard to know what exactly the old boys were up to, they never updated their facebook status.

• Like 6

Lads of today, different, you got a few who are genuine, tell the truth, and know the stuff. But the alot of them who wouldn't have knew how to locate a dog, time after time and with no gadgets, the blame something, and are on some ego, know it all lark,

But IMO those who are good at working their terriers nowadays are better than those who were top of the tree back in the day.

I genuinely believe there's not a single thing that any of the so called legends of yesteryear could teach a good terrierman of today.

That doesn't mean I haven't got respect for them ,I do but there's better today, both man and terrier.

You think guys about nowadays could teach Buck and Breay and thing or two? Or Nuttal? He was digging in the 50's and 60's it'd be interesting getting his opinion on it.

I think from the 60's for sure and maybe further back guys were using single handed workers and striving for that and working all quarry with their dogs.

It's very easy to read old reports of 2 and 3 dogs and think they were lesser dogs, the second and third dog were often to help locate. No because the first dog walked of failed.

It's hard to know what exactly the old boys were up to, they never updated their facebook status.

Brian's opinion on this is he wishes he had a bellman back then.

Can't say many non sounders were ever used though mate as that was pointless which makes your doubling up excuse a bit redundant .Dogs were doubled for no other reason than to get the job done ,make of that what you will.

• Like 4

Brian's opinion on this is he wishes he had a bellman back then

True, but it'd be a close call between handing back the box and having the freedom to dig and hunt like they did back then and still do in most of Europe

• Like 2

Yes Fox dropper, some fellas no patience and didn't really have a clue, but they were the, what ever the called, local legends and putting more than one dog down, because the want the kill, the dogs were half chats and one good dog there which had everything put down the hole with it. But the men say in the Lakes, different, big huge places, and boulders but these men weren't working and breeding dogs that needed any bit of doubling up, thats my view any way

Plenty of old boys were good with a terrier no locators all done with knowledge which is lost on some today and as for mute no good then think they did not think of a terrier the same way we do today in my town they had a digging club they were out every sunday and the green right outside my front door would have dogs pegged out waiting for the minibus and dog trailer which held probably 25 dogs most were wrong dogs which were held in high esteem baying dogs were secondary and as for genetics a lot of thought went into the strong dogs breeding bayer. Was just crossed to what was about local as the laws changed so did people's attitudes towards real terriers and lots more but some thought into the breeding and keeping of quality working terriers this was many years ago and I was lucky enough to have days out with the club as a uncle of mine was in it and I had to have a terrier still have another point was handling the game from what I remember they could all do it its funny watching a grown man jump out of a hole lol

Theres good and bad in every era. One thing the old boys could teach todays men is how to locate their terrier if there batteries went dead in their locater or collar at a 4 foot deep earth which if happened to 90% of todays lads they would fall to pieces clueless about how to find the dog with no plan B. I bet most lads now would send for help collar up a second dog to find the first without even trying to find it and then still claim they dont ever double up.

That's my main argument.

Most folk agree that one thing we don't have to do nowadays is lie on the ground listening.

It's not rocket science.

You hoped there was no wind and you lay on the ground listening. The spot where the terrier was loudest was where you started.

Am I wrong ?

Unless a previous dig at the same place had told you that sound travels then you went in where you could hear the terrier was loudest.

As you went down you made adjustments using the bar or your hearing.

The lads of yesteryear tell us that it might take hours before you even got a mark.

I have my own opinion on that theory.

Nowadays we still have to let a terrier find, settle, hopefully get it where it wants to be and then have a successful dig.

The box ,if read properly , tells us when a terrier is stuck, digging, working or messing around. That was one luxury we have nowadays that they didn't in the past.

• Like 1

good men took me out,showed me how things should be done, I was allowed to tag along on digs and got my first decent terrier from one of them,befor that mine were all rounders,/ratters ect ,this was late 70s,these lads needed no teaching,they knew there job,and did it well every w,end or day off, but there are lads about at present ,young men who are just as good at there job, its down to the man, not his age or date of birth,

Edited by francolin