Lenny (The Governor) Mcclean

I met him once, in a club called T's, if i remember right. Bexley or Erith, somewhere down there?

When i was with friends daan saarf. Nice bloke, gentleman, he was on our brief introductin but a big bloke. Next time i knew of him i was readin his book.

My goodness, small world.....I have spent a few nights in that high quality establishment !! Lol lo

A shithouse of the highest order, somehow I always wound up there on my own and I always wound up surrounded by 5 or 6 doormen.

Nothing ever came of it though once they realised what an affable chap I am so fair play to them, not bad lads.

You wasn't allowed to ware boots as I remember ! Haha

• Like 1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of these THL experts that can tell if someone is juicing or not just by looking at pictures and videos of them should offer their services to the Olympic anti-doping agencies

I think a large amount of what is written in those type of books can be taken with a large pinch of salt. there written in the "news of the world" sensationalism stylee...elements of truth buttered up

I never saw anyone even come close to handling Lennie on doors,he would always get lads trying to make a name for themself but most times a simple growl or stare was enough......he was 10 or 12 years

I met him once, in a club called T's, if i remember right. Bexley or Erith, somewhere down there?

When i was with friends daan saarf. Nice bloke, gentleman, he was on our brief introductin but a big bloke. Next time i knew of him i was readin his book.

My goodness, small world.....I have spent a few nights in that high quality establishment !! Lol lo

A shithouse of the highest order, somehow I always wound up there on my own and I always wound up surrounded by 5 or 6 doormen.

Nothing ever came of it though once they realised what an affable chap I am so fair play to them, not bad lads.

and theirs me thinking you were a respectful school teacher :laugh:

That Shaw fight where he bangs him non stop is amazing , how could you stop a man like that (with your bare hands) . trouble with fellas like Lenny is when they get pissed off and lose it they nearly kill some poor soul , not like a thick ear that you can apologise next day . I would like to hear gnashers take on him if he knew him ? To be a top dog in that era and area must have taken some holding down ..

roy shaw beat lenny in his first fight and lenny was much bigger than roy shaw and quite a lot younger than him

He beat him yes , but that's not the fight I mean , the Shaw fight that Lenny win is a fantastic watch , hits Shaw 30 odd times on the button like a madman , but Shaw still wants to fight , his head won't let him be beat but his body needs out ..

Wasn't Lenny's father a bare knuckle boxer too ?

So he didn't pick it up of the ground.

Didn't his father used to fight at Blackheath on a Sunday morning ? Lads would show up at 11 for a fight not knowing he'd already had one at 10 and maybe 9 before that.

Possibly a bit of romanticism there, but a tough man non the less.

it is a really small world !! Lol "Ts" nightclub was my local haunt for years . I fact I met Mrs Marshman there , a privately educated posh girl slumming it for the night ? . Yeah we knew it was a rough club but we loved it . I was chatting her up and one of my mates on the other side of the club got fighting with Reggie Parker the bouncer and knocked him from the top of the stairs to the front door lol oh good times ?
  • Like 4

I think he did try amateur boxing at Repton when he was a lad, he came from Hoxton way . I used go to clubs when Lenny was on the door and he was a powerhouse of a man if he told you to drink that drink you drunk that drink and left lol.

That Shaw fight where he bangs him non stop is amazing , how could you stop a man like that (with your bare hands) . trouble with fellas like Lenny is when they get pissed off and lose it they nearly kill some poor soul , not like a thick ear that you can apologise next day . I would like to hear gnashers take on him if he knew him ? To be a top dog in that era and area must have taken some holding down ..

roy shaw beat lenny in his first fight and lenny was much bigger than roy shaw and quite a lot younger than him

He beat him yes , but that's not the fight I mean , the Shaw fight that Lenny win is a fantastic watch , hits Shaw 30 odd times on the button like a madman , but Shaw still wants to fight , his head won't let him be beat but his body needs out ..

I know the fight you mean ,cant believe roy shaw stayed on his feet for as long as he did.having said that roy shaw was'nt quite right in the head that's why they put him in broadmore

• Like 1

Gnasher knew the man personally I am sure he will give you boys the answer ......

Wouldnt say i knew him personally he was a different generation from me i just spent a few years with a silly dickie bow wrapped round my neck talking bollocks with him a few nights a week.....most half decent heavyweight pros would of dealt with Lennie quite comfortably as he simply wasnt a boxer i dont think he ever threw a jab in his life he thought the jab was pointless..... he fought with far too much rage and aggression to be a boxer and just wasnt dedicated enough he was an old school hard man who loved a tear up he didnt like running and training he would spar himself into condition which any fighter knows is impossible to do.......that said,in a straightener he was the most frightening man i have ever come across and had the rare ability to hate for no reason he could summon up explosive energy in an instant almost like he had an adrenalin tank on his back !......in my opinion the exact thing that made him so formidable as a bouncer/minder was the same thing that would of stopped him being a professional boxer.

• Like 3

Gnasher knew the man personally I am sure he will give you boys the answer ......

i reckon you'd take him kenfu, all camoed up he wouldn't stand a chance lololol, who da feck does gnasher not know?

I know hardly anyone north of Watford but folk in the same game in the same area its hard not to know.......is it my fault the area has had so much fighting talent :D

Wouldnt say i knew him personally he was a different generation from me i just spent a few years with a silly dickie bow wrapped round my neck talking bollocks with him a few nights a week.....most half decent heavyweight pros would of dealt with Lennie quite comfortably as he simply wasnt a boxer i dont think he ever threw a jab in his life he thought the jab was pointless..... he fought with far too much rage and aggression to be a boxer and just wasnt dedicated enough he was an old school hard man who loved a tear up he didnt like running and training he would spar himself into condition which any fighter knows is impossible to do.......that said,in a straightener he was the most frightening man i have ever come across and had the rare ability to hate for no reason he could summon up explosive energy in an instant almost like he had an adrenalin tank on his back !......in my opinion the exact thing that made him so formidable as a bouncer/minder was the same thing that would of stopped him being a professional boxer.
do you think he would have beaten Bartley Gorman?!?

No idea mate i dont really know who he is or anything about him to be honest.

As for the lads talking about Lennies fights with Roy Shaw thats where you can gauge Lennies level with gloves on as Roy Shaw was a good little welterweight back in his earlier years........outside of a boxing ring Lennie would of made a mess of him in short order.

Outside the ring Mclean was meant to be like Gnasher says a frightening man,inside the ring however he was not the same fighter. He had iirc 13 unlicenced fights losing 6 and 4 of those being first round knockout losses and was also stopped by Shaw in the first fight. None of these losses were mentioned in any of his books except for the Shaw loss, but if you have read the Wildcats book by Danny Woolard it is mentioned in there among other things about him.

Edited by MickC