Pup Watching On

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bloke I knew came out with me onetime said the same sort of things like they get bored or make a nuisance of themselves only take them out when there of an age to be worked blah blah . We put the do

Pup watching on yesterday's work

One thing that is true, is that they learn nothing at home stuck in a kennel.

Posted Images

I've pegged my young one at a few digs probably every one I've been on he is calm but very interested and has never been put in at the end he is now 17 months old and will drop in and find and has been dug . What I will say is I've taken advice from a few good men on here and you all know who you are and there was one common thread and that was don't rush him he will go when he wants you all were right and thank you lads

• Like 3

i dont often tie a pup back but ive had my share of screamers cartwheeling and getting all fired up. i have came to the conclusion that these dogs would have been that way no matter how entered. they just wanted in . and if another dog was entered whole hell was let loose. best left boxed untill ready to enter them. some terriers just have a steady quiet nature untill needed. i rarely owned one . smart pup that good luck with it :thumbs:

Some of the best I've had were mega pains in the ass when another terrier was being dug to. In fact some would bite you.

I'd rather see a pup cart wheeling than lying there quietly.

Would probably agree but I've owned both types and to be fair most of the best I've owned have been fairly sensible!

There are pros and cons to both arguments and can depend a lot on the terriers disposition , some need firing up and for others it's the last thing they need, is down to the owner to realise what type he owns and how best to bring it on!

Sometimes I've had to have dogs tethered as we can't drive the land and it can be an absolute nightmare, and there is nothing worse in my opinion than a dog cartwheeling and screaming to go and then when given its chance is out 5mins later with its tail between its legs!

• Like 3

Ive found the ones that make the most noise and rag dead quarry in a frenzy are the biggest cowards. Like has been said the sensible ones usually save their energy for working. To pinch a phrase from my mate 'the emptiest can makes the loudest noise'. Ive owned 2 dogs that were good digging dogs and as soon as the quarry was shot they were uninterested.

• Like 4

I can't think of anything worse at a dig than a tied up yappy whining terrier and i've told lads to feck off home with them before now,i've stopped mine young from doing it and who the feck wants to listen to that racket when your trying to listen to whats going on under the sod....

• Like 1

Had a patt bitch years back that killed a lot of fox in the ground but on top would not touch or show any interest in them,seen her come out before the break through but it was just a matter of keep going and the fox would be dead on the break through.She was a very placid bitch,if another terrier came up beside her and growled she would turn up on her back and usually piss herself,completely different bitch in the ground.

• Like 5

Some of the best I've had were mega pains in the ass when another terrier was being dug to. In fact some would bite you.

I'd rather see a pup cart wheeling than lying there quietly.

Just fire them all in at the same time mate that's what we do we always get results ?

• Like 1

I ran 2 brothers on one turned out quiet and sensible around a dig in the car and in the Kennles a self confidant dog who dident crave attention and one will howl and scream as soon as the engines turned off on the car loves to be involved and always up your Arse looking to be petted and rubbed both got brought up exactly the same way and both work well I gave the quiet swlf confident one away and kept the yappy crank even tho I liked the quiet one better lol

• Like 1