Old School Lamps

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not being fully satisfied, with the commercially produced , imported spotlights on offer,...I once thought it a great idea to design my own prefered type of hunting light,...I found a local company an

All old school lamps I had was all hand made, wish I still had mine but. Had some bloody good nights with It, Consisted of a Morris minor head light with a motor bike handle some how stuck to it with

Fancy that happening,,

Posted Images

First lamp was one of those swinford contraptions in the metal box then progressed onto the halford specials them small sguare lamps that fitted well into a barbour front pocket then to the Q beams wich if i remember from the adverts for them these lamps were used on helicopters in the vietnam war .lol

• Like 1

When me and my mates first started lamping in the seventies we used to use a round car headlight with a car battery in a haversack, we then moved onto a car spotlight with a bulb fitted and the smallest car battery we could find normally out of a reliant robin, but some spotlights were no good because the beam had a wide spread and you could not get the distance. The old lucas spotlights with the bulb fitted were about the best.When we finally discovered motor bike batteries we were in a different league we use to take two home made lamps and two of the biggest amp motor bike batteries and used to stay out until the batteries drained. Then as halogen spotlights came out we would try as many different types as we could until we found one with the beam we needed.It was a few year until commercial lamps for lamping could be purchased.

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...

Like others mine was a Cibie Sport (clear lens) and motorbike battery. At the time 35 years ago there wasn't a motorbike or car with lamps on safe in the whole of West Cumbria :huh:

Edited by toblue
  • Like 1

Oldie.

That set up looks familiar.

Back in those days done one night and one night only with a lad who had a car battery attached to a piece of plywood with straps on it that attached at the front like an old school satchel.

We were being chased one night and I slipped under a gate but when he went to slip under the gate this thing on his back, sticking out about 15'' of his back got stuck and he nearly got caught.

Thank God for the new smaller set ups.

• Like 1