Anyone Know Much About Bullmastiffs?

I had a bitch from the original litter of mastiff crosses Brian Plummer bred, described as alaunts.

She was a pure bullmastiff dog mated to a 5/8 bull 3/8 greyhound bitch.

She had no health issues and was like a leaner type mastiff bitch.

Her temperament was brilliant, could be switched on but stood down readily which is not always the case in bull breeds.

She was pts at about 11 1/2 years old and was never near a vet in her life.

I bred her to a pure mastiff and the pups were stunning, bigger more impressive but still athletic and belters of heads, also a lot less slobbering than full breeds.

A few of them are still going strong well into double figures.

I was asked on many occasions to repeat the mating but never got around to it.

I've had a notion for another bull type of late and with all the health issues related to all types of mastiffs I think I'd go down the cross breed route again.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmm I wouldn't say straight bull mastiff myself, she's got the markings, but her head looks boxer like?!? That said, I'm not all that clued up on these breeds. Nice bitch nonetheless

The group of lads I train with try to put our dogs under different types of mental stress and pressure whilst doing protection work ie smoke bombs,chainsaws/leaf blowers revved in their faces,working

We've got a couple of venues that we use but my favourite is a disused nightclub in East London where our main decoy sometimes does night security to stop people getting in and squatting as this ha

I had a bitch from the original litter of mastiff crosses Brian Plummer bred, described as alaunts.

Her temperament was brilliant, could be switched on but stood down readily which is not always the case in bull breeds.

I bred her to a pure mastiff and the pups were stunning, bigger more impressive but still athletic and belters of heads, also a lot less slobbering than full breeds.

I've had a notion for another bull type of late and with all the health issues related to all types of mastiffs I think I'd go down the cross breed route again.

Always like the idea of using one of those alaunts as a the bull component in a bandog :yes: sure the greyhound would improve the overall health and fitness.

Don't suppose you have any pics of your bitch and her pups?

Mentioned this before but ole guy that bred the bull mastifs for plummer aluant project used to come on here. Seen a couple of them aluant in flesh, nice dogs and much better/more practical looking than these ban dogs

in theory isn't a modern day aluant just a bandog?

BGD what are your thoughts on caucasian ovcharka? You seem to know a lot about guardian breeds :thumbs:

Only ever met one in the flesh but it was a formidable animal :yes: the Soviets did a lot of breeding with them really refining them from a rustic LGD into a serious patrol/sentry dog, they still use them in prisons and military installations over there.

I prefer the kangals as far as LGDs go though, a bit lighter and less psychotic :laugh:

Always like the idea of using one of those alaunts as a the bull component in a bandog :yes: sure the greyhound would improve the overall health and fitness.

Not one for pictures mate.

Have a look on here at the alaunt threads, most of the dogs pictured originated either from the litter I got my bitch from and a repeat mating of it, or the same bull greyhound bitch and a different mastiff sire.

I have found this thread interesting as my bull arab (aussie boar dog for want of a better term) more than likely has bullmastiff in his genetic make up. He comes from a long line of boar dogs and has no known health issues, very stable, is a shade under 100 lbs at hunting weight and is a very good guard dog. While he has never shown a bad sign to my kids I would never leave them unsupervised. I have no experience with guard type dogs and i am not really interested in them, my bull arab seems to fit alot of the criteria mentioned here. I think some people who have posted on this thread would find it interesting to look them up as they are a working large breed. Just food for thought. Atvb.

• Like 1

I have found this thread interesting as my bull arab (aussie boar dog for want of a better term) more than likely has bullmastiff in his genetic make up. He comes from a long line of boar dogs and has no known health issues, very stable, is a shade under 100 lbs at hunting weight and is a very good guard dog. While he has never shown a bad sign to my kids I would never leave them unsupervised. I have no experience with guard type dogs and i am not really interested in them, my bull arab seems to fit alot of the criteria mentioned here. I think some people who have posted on this thread would find it interesting to look them up as they are a working large breed. Just food for thought. Atvb.

Always admired the bull arabs and other crossbred aussie boar dogs :thumbs: sure the bull arabs could be useful in mastiff/bandog breeding programs but I've never heard of any being imported to Europe or the states, shame really.

A good American Bulldog should be a good guardian and be able to do an honest days work in the field.

That's the thing SHOULD unfortunately many have problems ranging from nervousness to over aggressiveness and don't get me started on the nemerous physical and health problems that seem to be becoming more and more common with them.

A good American Bulldog should be a good guardian and be able to do an honest days work in the field.

That's the thing SHOULD unfortunately many have problems ranging from nervousness to over aggressiveness and don't get me started on the nemerous physical and health problems that seem to be becoming more and more common with them.

not disputing that mate, i got my mine for free after my tools got nicked out the shed and so far i've not been broken into and he enjoys getting stuck in when working with the lurchers. When the day comes for him to be PTS i can honestly say that he does not owe me anything.

Any big breed that gets popular suffers this,I thought the split between performance bred ones and the big show ones might have helped.

Any big breed that gets popular suffers this,I thought the split between performance bred ones and the big show ones might have helped.

I thing most are hybrid now mate tbh

I thing most are hybrid now mate tbh

that's a shame.