What Career Did You Want To Do When You Were At School And What Are You Doing Now?

Mechanic

Was never a fan of school, think we have all been told to stick in or will regret it when older?? Was at school and night college with adults lol doing basic stuff, brakes etc etc and working in a scrap yard at weekends. Auld man passed away, lost interest even more lol. School were fair, let me go 3 days a week and work rest but i didnt go back, didnt sit exams... Cash in hand was good back then, had moto cross bikes, bought cars to work on and sell while mates had pocket money.. That changed later on lol

Can still do abit with motors, always learning.

Didnt get the trade to fall back on, no exams, should have stuck in eh... Learnt a few good lessons, when the time comes, ill try my best to make sure my kids dont make the same mistakes..

These days, do what i can to make £

Edited by Joe1888

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mechanic Fish farmer Gamekeeper Shepard   I wanted to be a mechanic early in school then lost intrest after i did work experiance at a garage when they all told me dont get into it. Then i got

First I wanted to be an explorer.   Then wanted to be a farmer, then an auctioneer and then a vet.   Was put off the farming by my mum, going on that there'd be no money. . . . . . don't know why

I got my first Saturday job in a butchers when I was 12 Scrapping blocks,scrubbing racks,pickling ox tongues and making burgers. Went into it full time when I was 16 been in butchers shops,slaughter

Wanted to be a greenkeeper on a golf course that's didn't work out went working for my uncle building company then with my dad's contact cleaning company in a meat factory on nights messed on the farm my dad ran enjoyed that lost one apprenticeship listening to my dad and the other for not listening in school the out up marquees' for a summer now I'm running an 8 meter bar feed cnc machine and I'm only 31 I see my 16 year old cousin gifted soccer player but the laziest chap you'll ever meet work and school wise and it cost him a few time already at trails with clubs in Dublin and Waterford all saying the same gifted player but need to work more and you might as well be talking to a brick wall as talking to him

I wanted to f**k about and that's what I do !!.......I had a proper job once but it wasn't for me.

Unfortunately "f***ing about" wasn't a recognised trade by the school so I got in a lot of bother !

• Like 2

I remember goin in to see the career master with no idea what i wanted to do ir be. Until that moment that thought had never entered my tiny mind. I didn't even know what to say to him!

Up until that point my life was ine big easy laugh, i loved school, it was one big naughty giggle and didnt give a flying feck about anything beyond that.

I remember the other kids all shitting themselves, wanting an apprenticeship rather than facing the dreded YOP scheem at fifteen quid a week!

As much as i knew i was never going to get on a YOP, i had'nt the foggiest about apprenticships, all them other kids had fathers trying to get em on one and they knew how they work etc...!

So i goes into the room and the bloke askes me what i wanna do? Now i'd just read Barry Hines book The Gamekeeper and so even though i didn't really want to do that, thats what i blurted out..!

He gave me one of the best daft tw@t looks i've ever had the pleasure of and said that in so many years of coming to this inner city school, that one was new to him and he'd be in touch... I never seen him again!

Wanted to be a judge....ended up being a miner....worked on a canal boat best job i ever had...security guard...door supervisor and now a county court bailiff

Bailiff !!!!.......bet your a popular chap ! Lol

• Like 3

I remember goin in to see the career master with no idea what i wanted to do ir be. Until that moment that thought had never entered my tiny mind. I didn't even know what to say to him!

Up until that point my life was ine big easy laugh, i loved school, it was one big naughty giggle and didnt give a flying feck about anything beyond that.

I remember the other kids all shitting themselves, wanting an apprenticeship rather than facing the dreded YOP scheem at fifteen quid a week!

As much as i knew i was never going to get on a YOP, i had'nt the foggiest about apprenticships, all them other kids had fathers trying to get em on one and they knew how they work etc...!

So i goes into the room and the bloke askes me what i wanna do? Now i'd just read Barry Hines book The Gamekeeper and so even though i didn't really want to do that, thats what i blurted out..!

He gave me one of the best daft tw@t looks i've ever had the pleasure of and said that in so many years of coming to this inner city school, that one was new to him and he'd be in touch... I never seen him again!

Brilliant mate ! Lol........do you remember "the careers office" ?......we had one in our town but a certain group of young lads broke in and made match wood of the place after being spoken to like dirt at the careers interview !!

Never opened again after that funny enough ! Lol

• Like 1

Can't believe you didn't want to be like the rest of your scally contemporary's.....grafting laaaa...lol

• Like 2

When I left school I wanted to follow in my family's tradition of being a deep sea fisherman but with the industry dying in my local town/city ended up being a mechanical fitter working in airports around the UK fitting conveyor belts to deliver your luggage that went pear shaped after 9/11 since then I've been working as a fully qualified arborist/tree surgeon for my local council and enjoy the outdoors very much thanks for reading.

Farmer got sick of mucking pigs out as I wanted to be doing every kind of farming not just pigs.drove taxis for years then went onto pest control for years,came out of that for 3yrs then went back on the wagons now gone back on the pest control.

That's uncanny bosun.........that's exactly what I did, I'd also read the Barry Hines book.........but I never really had any serious notions of becoming a gamekeeper, but I said it anyway......

........only in my case the careers officer retorted......"so do you play for the school team then?" Haha....

Goalkeeper? Gamekeeper? I knew it was gonna be of little consequence.........so I just replied "no, but I play after school with me mates......"

• Like 1

I really wanted to be a fireman when i was at school....if playing for the Hammers was out of the question that is.....they knocked me back due to a few early brushes with the law and that was when me and my little pals got our heads together....the first sniff of proper dough and i never gave the fire brigade a second thought !

• Like 2