What Career Did You Want To Do When You Were At School And What Are You Doing Now?

first wanted to be a marine biologist but I cant even spell it lol then a gamekeeper but my dad warned me of it, then I was skint and started working in the kitchens became a chef, then had enough of that and now im an on-line leaksealer in the gas, oil and power industry lol

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mechanic Fish farmer Gamekeeper Shepard   I wanted to be a mechanic early in school then lost intrest after i did work experiance at a garage when they all told me dont get into it. Then i got

First I wanted to be an explorer.   Then wanted to be a farmer, then an auctioneer and then a vet.   Was put off the farming by my mum, going on that there'd be no money. . . . . . don't know why

I got my first Saturday job in a butchers when I was 12 Scrapping blocks,scrubbing racks,pickling ox tongues and making burgers. Went into it full time when I was 16 been in butchers shops,slaughter

I wanted to be spiderman... I knew it wasn't going to work when my mum had to sew my costume onto a tracksuit because I was bigger than the other kids.

Gamekeeper

Foundryman/diecaster

Welder fab

Own welding firm for a year

Glasshouse Erector

Butcher

Landscaper

Welder fab

Pipe welder

Coded pressure vessel welder.

Wish I'd done welding from school but I'd probably be sick of it by now. Id like to get into property in about ten years when I've got some cash. I made my life harder by moving about but I guess that's just the way I am, chasing coin now got 26 x 12 hrs with no days off, good for pocket shite for family friends and hunting.

ime realy getting into welding now..out of intrest what and how would one go about getting certified?

First I wanted to be an explorer.

Then wanted to be a farmer, then an auctioneer and then a vet.

Was put off the farming by my mum, going on that there'd be no money. . . . . . don't know why I never tried the auctioneering, and did do work experience as a vet. . . . and the people put me right off!

Managed a good crack at being an explorer though!

Worked as a life guard, ran a record label, ran a club, was a teacher, a researcher, ran a guesthouse / back packers hostel.

Broke the law and made more money than any of the others put together.

Ended up counselling kids and teaching outdoor education, bushcraft, forest schools etc. And doing a bit of lecturing.

Worked as a game keeper. . . . .

And finally ended up a bloody farmer. And have since had words with my mum :laugh: she still tells me there's no money in it.

Edited by Ideation
  • Like 5

I didn't have a fcuking clue......

.......had loads of meaningless 'do it for the money' labouring jobs......etc etc....

I suppose the best actual job was being a supervisor of a 25 strong building & maintenance team at a Zoo....

........I'm a house husband now, which is kinda nice....;-)

• Like 2

Dodged about unemployed as fuk for a while as didn't want to work in a dead end job, wanted an apprenticeship in thermal insulation coz my mate was one n was making a fortune. Managed to get myself in and been doing the lagging since, love it tbh although small company can get a bit too busy at times but the OT is great when you need it

I hated school and allways wanted to work on a farm. I left school and went to agricultural collage for 3 years and helped on farms unpaid in my spare time and did really well in collage (got NCA and NDA) . After collage I worked on farms a few years and I was treat like a pice of crap and worked 12 hours plus a day for a very poor wage. I ended up leaving farming and started at the bottom as a dogsbody in a printers. After 10 years at that I worked my way up and I'm now a printer. I miss farming (especially at harvest and silage time) but I'm in a better place now with better money and treated really good by my bosses. Just shows you never know how life will turn out!

Same as a lot of folks,

wanted to be a gamekeeper, forester or a long distance lorry driver.

Ended up being an IT Consultant....after being a heavy diesel engine builder....

Dad talked me out of being a gamekeeper, saying there was no money or Jack Danny in the keepering game - he was right!!

But now I have enough readies to allow me to indulge myself in shooting and fishing and I have a an old P38 range rover and I help out on two local estates......fair play. Also, got a woodburner and a couple of chainsaws, so I play at being a forester too....life isnt too bad.

• Like 2

Mechanic

Fish farmer

Gamekeeper

Shepard

I wanted to be a mechanic early in school then lost intrest after i did work experiance at a garage when they all told me dont get into it. Then i got a job at a trout farm while still at school really liked it but my boss was a nob so after working there till i left school i wanted to be a gamekeeper for a short while but that never really took of.

So i started working on the family farm and i got right into sheparding because ive always loved working dogs and working with livestock so i spent a few years working for pennys until i had trained my sheepdogs to a high standard and got a few bits of paper to do certain things dipping/chemicals i was away i got asked to come amd help gather a fell with a fella who helps gather my fell.

After that the work just started coming in as the word got round. Now i spend nearer enough everyday out working with my dogs in some of the best scenery the country has to offer. Im not a rich man by any means but i do a job that i love and to me thats better than money sometimes when im on top of the fell with my dogs i think i cant belive i get payed to do this so in that sense im very lucky.

• Like 9

Mechanic

Fish farmer

Gamekeeper

Shepard

I wanted to be a mechanic early in school then lost intrest after i did work experiance at a garage when they all told me dont get into it. Then i got a job at a trout farm while still at school really liked it but my boss was a nob so after working there till i left school i wanted to be a gamekeeper for a short while but that never really took of.

So i started working on the family farm and i got right into sheparding because ive always loved working dogs and working with livestock so i spent a few years working for pennys until i had trained my sheepdogs to a high standard and got a few bits of paper to do certain things dipping/chemicals i was away i got asked to come amd help gather a fell with a fella who helps gather my fell.

After that the work just started coming in as the word got round. Now i spend nearer enough everyday out working with my dogs in some of the best scenery the country has to offer. Im not a rich man by any means but i do a job that i love and to me thats better than money sometimes when im on top of the fell with my dogs i think i cant belive i get payed to do this so in that sense im very lucky.

living the dream joe! not jelous in slightest lol :whistling:

Mechanic

Fish farmer

Gamekeeper

Shepard

could i be cheeky and ask a surname? ive a feeling i know you. i know every hill farmer in ennerdale wasdale eskdale and surroundings

I had no idea what I wanted to do when I left school, went to college for abit ended up jacking and getting a job driving flts and making chemicals, they went bump so started from scratch in engineering but been stuck in an incinerator all morning so might be back to the drawing board. ?