Yes/no

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think jeems write up is a very good explanation. That's fine to not understand something, it's another to dismiss it. It is absolutely necessary to have, even a basic understanding of this stuff i

Heres my take on it I would by any means say i am an expert but I have done a brother and sister mating and will explain my reasons in doing so and the resulting litter ...I and a few others were need

In and in breeding is the quickest surest route to creating a true breeding line of any domesticated animal. The point of it is to purify or stamp in the good points that you want be they physical or

Posted Images

It's not something I would do personally, as I think there is better options than close inbreeding but one of my mates coursing bred dogs lined one of his daughters last year full litter were fine, I took one on and he was very late to mature and still very puppyish now at 16 month but he got a great attitude towards work, he shaping up very well for this season and is a much stronger dog than both his sire and dam imo both him and one of his siblings done well last year as puppy's ?

Edited by NE_courser
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...

An old feller I know and respect has kept bloodlines tight for generations both dogs and ferrets and all his stock are good healthy animals that don't mind abit of graft I asked him about abnormalities he said there's no such thing in 30 years of crossing his small families of stock he's never had one problem aslong as they are fed on a good diet and housed well aswell as bieng sound in body and mind in first place. Not something I'd do personally but it's worked for him ?

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1

Has anyone had first hand experience with this?

Well, a couple of my sisters are very fair examples of their gender, but no, I've not been tempted to go down that route :no: .............. :D lol

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 6

Ive heard people say ya cant mate mother n son or brother sister but you can father and daughter to keep a tight line what do you lads wreckon

You have a litter of pups from unrelated parents..from the resulting litter if it contains dogs and bitches you can create two seperate strains by breeding a son back to its dam and a bitch back to its sire. The pups will contain more of dam or sires genes.

There you will have started two lines. Most people will breed back to one or other parent depending on the type they favour. Which relation to which thereafter is irrelivent. What is important is the health and vigour.

Edited by jeemes
  • Like 1

In and in breeding is the quickest surest route to creating a true breeding line of any domesticated animal. The point of it is to purify or stamp in the good points that you want be they physical or mental. In other words courage can be fixed aswell as say good coat or powerful bite,stamina etc, but what you after remember is bad points can also be fixed if they are not weeded out from the breeding stock. some faults are not bad and can be tolerated in a working dog but they should be excluded from the breeding,and two faults should never never be bred together.

weeding out or culling or just excluding from breeding should be carried on until you can be sure the animal is good enough to breed from. That is to say it is displaying the good points you require and not the bad points you dont want and it is fit and healthy in every way.

Any nasties that inbreeding throws up are already in the genes of both parents and have been hidden before but have now randomly come together and brought to the surface where we can clearly see them. Say for example that both parents showed good feet but some of the pups feet are flat. this means that both parents have recessive genes for flat feet but they have been hidden by the good or pure gene. genes from both parents separate into two parts and join randomly back together. think of them as 3 types....pure, impure, and recessive. the pure is made up of 2 dominant halves,the impure is made up of a dominant half that is masking the bad half. The recessive is 2 bad halves or pure recessive.

In the case of the pups with flat feet both parents must of had impure genes for feet and on parting when mating and randomly joining at conception recessive genes have come together to give bad feet. If both parents did not already possess the recessive (flat feet) gene it could not have become pure recessive in the pups. If these pups are not culled or removed from the premises they may breed and so multiply the fault. By culling or weeding them out we are lessening the chances of flat feet when breeding.By continual weeding out over generations the aim is to make all the desired good points pure dominant genes and to rid the strain of recessive faults.

It should be said that most good traits are dominant and most bad are recessive. The feet example shows how faults that do already exist can be eradicated by in and in breeding over generations but those same faults can also be made pure and difficult to remove by bad inbreeding. I hope this shows that once a programme is undertaken it is less important what relationships (father/daugter etc)are bred together but what those relations have to offer.

Recessive genes can also be exploited.An example is the Bassett hound. The short legs were first an unwanted deformity and recessive,and at first weeded out but later when a slower hound was wanted the recessives were bred together to become pure recessive and breed true.

• Like 8