Hunting Mentor Needed In Bristol?

Hey guys I'm a newbie, been involved with the outdoors my whole life, perhaps more than your average city kid. Have a real passion for wildlife and animals in general, I'm a regular fisherman preferring to fish on small wild rivers as opposed to commercial fisheries but I love all kinds. I'm currently based in Bristol and I've been itching to try a hand at hunting, whether it be Rabbits, Deer, Ducks, Pheasant (seriously anything will do) but I don't know anybody to get me into it or go about it and my family don't share my passions. I'm respectful of the land and know the basics, like getting close to wildlife and keeping the volume down and having a smart head on my shoulders in general. I've also trained a Common Kestrel in the past, she would fly at anything that moved (even other people at times) and managed to catch a magpie and a few pigeons with perseverance. I guess what I'm trying to get at is I'd love to get out in the outdoors with someone Bristol or surroundings based that knows their stuff, that is willing to take me out on a little hunting trip. I've been out lamping a few times to no avail as the dogs were a little sloppy after sitting on the bench for a year or two but great fun nonetheless. So yeah, anybody on here Bristol based that could do with some company on a day out sometime? Atb guys :thumbs:post-100585-0-61647500-1440807069_thumb.jpgpost-100585-0-66209700-1440807061.jpg

Brook.

• Like 8

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep at it, I hope someone will take you out.   There's a couple of things you might want to remember;   #1 Never go back to land that someone takes you onto, whether that is permission or not. If

Ooooh.......the lad done something wrong when he was a teenager, shock horror!! I took a coypu trap when I was fourteen, much to my dad's dismay, but I've managed to get my life back on track since t

Thanks again for the positive feedback guys much appreciated. Just a reminder for the more negative folk, we are all on this forum for the exact same reasons, to be TAUGHT and to TEACH, so I'd deem it

Posted Images

Great to see a young city lad taking a interest in country pursuits hopefully someone close will be able to help you out. Well done with the the kestrel it shows you have the right kind of passion and perseverance well done credit where credit is due. ..I hope you get the break your looking for .....All the best.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I hope someones willing to put up with me for an outing or two lol :laugh:, I know where some cracking rabbit and deer land is but I don't have permission there and I'm not on talking terms with the guy that took me there previously and haven't a clue who owns it sorry bud, I have permission to fly down in Hartcliffe but it's very poor for game I used to fly the Kestrel there everyday and would be lucky to see a Feral Pigeon lol, atb.

Have you thought about joining a hawking club mate? There not my cup of tea, but someone like yourself who has little contact with like minded people, it could open a few doors for you? & there will be something near you....

If you've trained a hawk, you've got the basis to train & fly something proper, you can hunt game with......

The thing with clubs.....you need a bit of front to break into the clique, which they all have.....but it could be worth it for you..

Atb

• Like 1

Great to see a young lad from the city taking an interest in country pursuits, much better than what you could be getting mixed up in knocking about the streets :yes:

Seem a nice genuine lad hopefully someone local will find time to take you out :thumbs:

• Like 1

It's Hartcliffe mate, and apparently that's a nice club, I used to box at Star abc then it got moved down to Park abc down in Knowle then when I moved to St.Pauls I started up at Empire then that got moved to Easton. I've also trained a Harris for a friend, he kind of jumped in at the deep end. He saw me flying Athena and said he wanted to get one an I told him I researched hard for 3 years and read countless books beforehand but yeh he didn't research properly and ended up with a screamer that wouldn't sit on the glove, so when I was still flying the Kes I'd go down to his house (10 minute walk) then we would fly the Kes then put her away then fly the Harris, cracking bird in the end :thumbs:. Hawking clubs aren't really my thing bud I'd imagine the people won't take to me too well lol. Falconry is definitely on hold for me at the moment due to living right in the centre it's far from ideal as I'm itching to get another one already lol. Thanks for the positive feedback guys much appreciated, I'm a city boy born and bred but my nan has owned farms since I can remember out in wales so I've always had the countryside in my life growing up and have developed a true passion and deep respect for wildlife and nature, atb guys :victory: .

• Like 1

Keep at it, I hope someone will take you out.

There's a couple of things you might want to remember;

#1 Never go back to land that someone takes you onto, whether that is permission or not. If you get a bad reputation when you're young it will be real hard to shake off and no one genuine will take you out.

#2 Never put anything about hunting with dogs on facebook/social media.

#3 Try and behave in a sporting manner, you never know who is watching/filming you.

Good luck.

p.s, pm me an address and I'll post you a lurcher book down FOC, you might enjoy lurchers......JD :victory:

• Like 19

Brook, if someone did bring you out and showed you the ropes would you steal their gear too ?

Genuine question since you've admitted stealing a mink trap from a fishery on the trapping forum.

I live not far from Bristol and was going to offer a night/day out. Pleased I read the above first (I don't go on the trapping forum).

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/346765-mink-trapping-in-bristol/?fromsearch=1

You're f****d. See JD's post above about not losing a bad reputation...