Hunting Mentor Needed In Bristol?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep at it, I hope someone will take you out.   There's a couple of things you might want to remember;   #1 Never go back to land that someone takes you onto, whether that is permission or not. If

Ooooh.......the lad done something wrong when he was a teenager, shock horror!! I took a coypu trap when I was fourteen, much to my dad's dismay, but I've managed to get my life back on track since t

Thanks again for the positive feedback guys much appreciated. Just a reminder for the more negative folk, we are all on this forum for the exact same reasons, to be TAUGHT and to TEACH, so I'd deem it

Posted Images

....and spend your life looking over your shoulder.....

Why looking over your shoulder there's some people who don't give a dam more things worth worrying about then doing a bit of poaching lol

Depends how much you value your lamps, dogs, cars, driving licence... There are significant minorities who live to get hunters in trouble.

....and spend your life looking over your shoulder.....

Why looking over your shoulder there's some people who don't give a dam more things worth worrying about then doing a bit of poaching lol

Depends how much you value your lamps, dogs, cars, driving licence... There are significant minorities who live to get hunters in trouble.

Nothing worries me to be honest not loosing anything ild rather die I have land I go on where no has a clue I won't take the piss and damage things steal or leave gates unopen I'm not a man running a pack of dogs day in day out I have one old dog who doesn't even run anymore and most of my outings are with a cattypult in my pocket looking like a dog walker Infact anyone I come across I tell my dogs a rescue who won't hurt a fly and I'm just walking him I don't ever drive to land as its on my doorstep
  • Like 1

ive had land where I had permission to ferret and shoot but since giving up the ferrets and having a bad accident with a gun I've given that up aswell also moving away lost me the permission I did have I'm new to this area so will gather more permission once I get to know people but most people won't talk to me or give me the time of day so it's hard to get permission as gamekeeper is very anti lurcher and once drove up to me asking what I was doing walking down a road that was going through an estate I told him I was walking my dog what did he think I was doing, I've also worked as a gamekeeper for a summer when I was younger with a keeper who kept lurchers and terriers

Bit of a bike ride that for him tho

I'm sure there is someone local who makes regular trips and would give him a lift. ;). Needs a passport first mind...
Give lad a break, get him out. Even just the once, have a chat and and try showing him a few of the basics if he don't know em, but going from his posts he ain't daft, far from it. A days hunting will soon shown if he wants to hunt lol especially if it's as wet as today lol

I will if he gets a passport. There is a trip to Spain planned in Jan, but I mean to have a training day before then, probably in France.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the positive feedback guys much appreciated. Just a reminder for the more negative folk, we are all on this forum for the exact same reasons, to be TAUGHT and to TEACH, so I'd deem it a poor welcome by some for a youth wanting to take up your sport the correct way. Being smart and presentable isn't a problem nor is the weather as I have probably fished on days some of you wouldn't of gave the Dogs/Gun a second glance :laugh: and I'll make a post to see if anybody needs someone to beat for them as some of you have suggested I go down that route, thanks for the suggestion guys :D. Long and short is if I don't receive help or mentoring I'll just get myself a few books and watch youtube video's and teach myself as I did Falconry and as I did Fishing, so for the haters I've made out there already, don't be so quick to try to bring me down and watch me fall because my balance is blessed, I'll disappoint you :yes:. On the other foot I'll do most things I can to try and learn first-hand from someone experienced as no doubt it is the best way to learn anything. Thanks again for the positivity guys, peace. :victory:.

• Like 11

OK, because I was the first to remark on your post where you admitted to stealing a mink trap I'll reply.

The fact that you put the word 'found' in commas IMO is you admitting that you should not have took it.

OK, you say you were 12 when you took it (but only now you decide to use it) but it is the age you are now that you put the word "found" in commas.

Why didn't you just say in your first post "I have a mink trap, how do I use it ?"

If you're going to spend time on someone else's property while in the presence of someone who's worked hard to earn that permission then you're going to have to be 100% trustworthy.

Personally I wouldn't touch you with a barge pole.

Also, for those who say that none of us are angels, I agree 100%.

But personally I wasn't brought up as a thief and even as a young fellow I knew that if I was on someones property and seen something then there's a good chance it belonged to someone. So I'd leave it there.

BUT, I do believe anyone can change, so good luck in your search to get into a game where a good name is hard to earn.

Considering the trap was in a bush (where the selfish people left their rubbish an unwanted furniture from the campsite), and the condition of the trap including no bait in there and the trap not being set, at that time I considered it also unwanted rubbish so saw a green light in accepting it from my friend who actually collected it from the premises (I was present), and being curious about what it was and what animal it's used for (assuming Fox, Rabbit or Otter) I took it home. Being a huge Bear Grylls and survival fanatic at the time of speaking, drove me to even bother going into the hassle of putting it in my dads boot and later on clutter up my bedroom. I've only in the last year or so found out what animal it's actually intended for by comparing the proportions, shape and measurements of another trap online, looking back on it now I realize it was a naive' mistake and wasn't ever mine to take in the first place. You imply that I was brought up to be a thief, or "common thief" as you put it, I don't know where you've got this information from but can assure you if it's not worth a sentence it's not worth my time. You also imply that I'm now an untrustworthy person, there's several synonyms of the word "trustworthy" and owning your mistakes and being honest are two examples. In fact you also imply that even now I'd like to go stealing rusty old traps in my spare time, I can definitely reassure you that A. I don't have that kind of time and B. I'd rather just buy a brand new one seeing as they are around the £20 mark, if I was really that intent on catching one. As far as earning a good name for myself goes, I'm not on here for acceptance as I have my social circle and female friends for that. I would of included it in my first post if it had been a Hunting forum and since the subject, before it was robbed from the thread, was Hunting I deemed it unnecessary. Thanks for your time in regards to replying. :victory:

• Like 1

Keep at it, I hope someone will take you out.

There's a couple of things you might want to remember;

#1 Never go back to land that someone takes you onto, whether that is permission or not. If you get a bad reputation when you're young it will be real hard to shake off and no one genuine will take you out.

#2 Never put anything about hunting with dogs on facebook/social media.

#3 Try and behave in a sporting manner, you never know who is watching/filming you.

Good luck.

p.s, pm me an address and I'll post you a lurcher book down FOC, you might enjoy lurchers......JD :victory:

Some excellent advice JD and a great gesture too. This is what the forum should be like seasoned hunters helping new hunters. Well done

• Like 1