Learning Welsh

More Welsh for Walshie ...cum bi yer ...learn this as I may be asking questions later . On the subject of speaking the local lingo I was talking to some people in Spain last year and they were telling me how they have lived their for 18 years , you must be good at the lingo , nah we don't fcuk about with that you don't need to speak it .....yep people are really that backward . My brother moved over when he was 53 , runs a successful company , employs Spanish people and speaks the language ( self taught ) not perfect but plenty good enough ...

Yes plenty here, you often hear of paki's having there children or grand children translating for them, we even supply public funded translators in some situations.

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Townieiau Twatiau

My boy who is 7 has learned loads of Irish as they have to do it in school, amazing how quick they pick it up.......personally, I do t have a clue what he is on about !! But it's good to hear him do i

Do you know Dai Jones? Aye butt he lives just down the road he does(though just down the road means anything upto 10 miles.) ?Also we always ask things twice...Is that your dog is it butt.

My 2 year old boy is on his way to being bilingual. My wife speaks french exclusively to him & of course I just speak English to him........he already knows the difference, talking back accordingly.....eg 'pomme' to my wife, 'apple' to me & loads more......:-)

He's started dropping in the odd Flemish word now........

I reckon another 6months & he'll speak more French than me haha.....

• Like 2

Os ydych chi erioed ddysgu Cymraeg byddaf yn dysgu i blethu cachu ........

I did say ALMOST fluent mate. Those must be the words i haven't learnt yet. :D

Now come on, use your nugget, at least two of the words in there are going to be 'townie twat'..... probably the last two. :D

I have a theory about the Welsh language, I reckon when the Saxons invaded Britain they expelled all the dyslexics, who all ran for the hills of Wales and named all their new villages and towns after the ones they fled from. Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant is actually dyslexic for York!

• Like 4

I love the way road signs here are written in Welsh AND English. Makes learning the lingo easy! :laugh: I've been teaching myself while driving.

Things I've learnt recently are: (excuse spelling)

Docks = Dociau

Shops = Shopiau

Toilets = Toiledau

If in doubt, add "iau" to turn a word into Welsh. i.e. "I'm going to the pubiau".

Also I've found out that there aren't loads of towns called gwasanaethau on the M4.

And...Llanelli doesn't rhyme with Benelli.

Almost fluent now mun!

"iau" denotes plural and pub is "tafarn" :D

I love the way road signs here are written in Welsh AND English. Makes learning the lingo easy! :laugh: I've been teaching myself while driving.

Docks = Dociau

Shops = Shopiau

Toilets = Toiledau

If in doubt, add "iau" to turn a word into Welsh. i.e. "I'm going to the pubiau".

Also I've found out that there aren't loads of towns called gwasanaethau on the M4.

Almost fluent now mun!

So the lads down the tafarn call Walshie and his clan a bunch of townie twatiau then :hmm:

I'm getting the hang of this Welsh business :toast:

Edited by BGD
  • Like 3

Docks = Dociau

Shops = Shopiau

Toilets = Toiledau

Almost fluent now mun!

So the lads down the tafarn call Walshie and his clan a bunch of townie twatiau then :hmm:

I'm getting the hang of this Welsh business :toast:

Most probably they just refer to him as the Englishman ,

Which is the biggest insult they could think of to a true Welshman.

• Like 1

My boy who is 7 has learned loads of Irish as they have to do it in school, amazing how quick they pick it up.......personally, I do t have a clue what he is on about !! But it's good to hear him do it.

A mate of mine who used to be on here, they spoke Welsh almost exclusively in his village and fair bloody play to them I say.

When i visited betws y coed[spelling?] in snowdonia everybody in the pub started speaking exclusively welsh as soon as we walked in. Dont think the english are too popular in that neck of the woods.

My boy who is 7 has learned loads of Irish as they have to do it in school, amazing how quick they pick it up.......personally, I do t have a clue what he is on about !! But it's good to hear him do it.

A mate of mine who used to be on here, they spoke Welsh almost exclusively in his village and fair bloody play to them I say.

When i visited betws y coed[spelling?] in snowdonia everybody in the pub started speaking exclusively welsh as soon as we walked in. Dont think the english are too popular in that neck of the woods.

Don't flatter yourself, as they were speaking Welsh before you came in. You were just not there to hear it. :D Welsh is far from being a dead language, try and get a kid into a Welsh school, waiting lists, people even moving to get into the catchment areas.

TC

don't know about welsh , some English carnt understand English , well wolves accent they carnt lol is it black country mate no its feckin W-ton , will have to open night school for the locals here . :D