Wild Boar

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Catching hogs with dogs is extremely fun and exciting. That being said, it's not for everyone. In my opinion, men need to be as hard as their dogs. If my dogs have teeth in a pig, I will have

Without meaning to be a dick. . . . the big bad boar isn't going to hunt the dogs down if they decide to jib. . . . it will just bugger off into another corner.   And yes. . . . anything trapped in

The wolfhound over here are destroyed. I dont know of a single one that is close to the original breed. Kc ruined them. Over here they are way to large and big boned that most non sighthound breeds wi

Posted Images

Thing is catching one or two nothing great but how many till you can really say they are boar dogs. 10,50,100 i'd more say the later. For you to start naming crosses they must took some serious amounts lol

its the same with every quarry but thats the hunting life lol

• Like 2

Aye like I said it's nice, and if going out looking for them it makes a lot of sense to kit the dogs up. Problem is it's not always an intentional catch so the dogs are not always wearing it, so as I said it's not 100% needed ie it's possible for a pair of dogs to do it I they know the score an not get hurt. And yes dogs that make contact but not dogs that are dumb enough to try to kill it, just get it under control.

And yer probably not a typical collie x..... Might be a bit of sal in te one an a bit of deerhound in the other lol.

Happy hunting.

Aye like I said it's nice, and if going out looking for them it makes a lot of sense to kit the dogs up. Problem is it's not always an intentional catch so the dogs are not always wearing it, so as I said it's not 100% needed ie it's possible for a pair of dogs to do it I they know the score an not get hurt. And yes dogs that make contact but not dogs that are dumb enough to try to kill it, just get it under control.

And yer probably not a typical collie x..... Might be a bit of sal in te one an a bit of deerhound in the other lol.

Happy hunting.

I'm only going on what the people person the cider drinker told me

Happy hunting.

I'm only going on what the people person the cider drinker told me

Got to watch those cider drinkers. . . . .

If you are thinking of using lurchers on pigs (its done here in NZ and OZ but they call them staghounds) start savings ya dosh for future vet bills unless you take some stitching classes and you can stitch ya dogs back together in the field. Its a tough sport and hard on dogs, but bloody exciting and 100% a dogging sport, but likely to get banned if the spca gets its way.

Catching hogs with dogs is extremely fun and exciting. That being said, it's not for everyone. In my opinion, men need to be as hard as their dogs. If my dogs have teeth in a pig, I will have my hands on the hog backing them up just as soon as I can get to the catch.

I would highly recommend going on a few trips with very experienced people before attempting it yourself.

The pig in the picture was around 400 pounds. My friend and I caught that boar a few nights ago. 2 dogs was all we used.

post-99376-0-59869500-1435717002_thumb.jpg

post-99376-0-37534000-1435717029_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Catching hogs with dogs is extremely fun and exciting. That being said, it's not for everyone. In my opinion, men need to be as hard as their dogs. If my dogs have teeth in a pig, I will have my hands on the hog backing them up just as soon as I can get to the catch.

I would highly recommend going on a few trips with very experienced people before attempting it yourself.

The pig in the picture was around 400 pounds. My friend and I caught that boar a few nights ago. 2 dogs was all we used.

is that norm pig gone, that's gone feral , only going on its colour , I though norm wild pigs were black in colour , but I know feck all about it .lol

I think it might be worth remembering that there is a whole world of difference between a feral pig and a wild boar..... :victory:

I wonder how true that is jd,,,be interested to know of any ozzy ,,kiwi or yank that has actually hunted both ferals and true wild boar ,,,if there is a difrence,,,you would think on paper it would be the bore,,,,,but I wonder if that is the case,,,,be interesting to know

The pig in the picture was not a domestic hog gone wild. He was just a big old boar hog. Colors vary. Half are black while the others are redish greyish and black and white spotted. I've seen all sorts of color phases on our wild pigs though. Once in a while you will see a picture of someone posing with an enormous dead hog they have shot and it has short snout and over sized ears that are generally flopped over. The pig in the picture was just a typical but better than average wild boar.

• Like 1