Wild Boar

Boar are everywhere. Dam nightmare sometimes. Cause alot of damage to a lurcher if they ever get hold or ram. As couple above said they take some stopping regular. Seen dogs take a few on own with good technique but never consistantly enough. I shoot fuckers with high powered cross bow on alot my perm they do my head in distracting my dogs. If wanted a out and out boar dog i'd just run a slim down mastiff type. Bit daft actively hunting them with a lurcher imo

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Catching hogs with dogs is extremely fun and exciting. That being said, it's not for everyone. In my opinion, men need to be as hard as their dogs. If my dogs have teeth in a pig, I will have

Without meaning to be a dick. . . . the big bad boar isn't going to hunt the dogs down if they decide to jib. . . . it will just bugger off into another corner.   And yes. . . . anything trapped in

The wolfhound over here are destroyed. I dont know of a single one that is close to the original breed. Kc ruined them. Over here they are way to large and big boned that most non sighthound breeds wi

Posted Images

Not sure shooting them with a crossbow is very fair lol.

Rob - Lads have taken them with a couple of decent collie x's. . . . not to mention bull x's.

But they are like no other quarry in the U.K, and the dogs know it. . . . . . and act accordingly, i'd say that a lof of dogs, even very game dogs, would think twicve before running into a good sized boar head on (which is usually the end they are facing).

They stab, bite, crush, ram and stomp. And I know of at least two dogs that tried it single handed and that was the last thing they tried!!!!

Edited to add - Anyone saying that their dog has KILLED a wild boar, is talking absolute shite!!!!!

Edited by Ideation
  • Like 4

Rob - Lads have taken them with a couple of decent collie x's. . . . not to mention bull x's.

But they are like no other quarry in the U.K, and the dogs know it. . . . . . and act accordingly, i'd say that a lof of dogs, even very game dogs, would think twicve before running into a good sized boar head on (which is usually the end they are facing).

They stab, bite, crush, ram and stomp. And I know of at least two dogs that tried it single handed and that was the last thing they tried!!!!

Edited to add - Anyone saying that their dog has KILLED a wild boar, is talking absolute shite!!!!!

Not even that little tyke of yours with the orange jacket? :laugh:

Guest Navek

Might invest in a horse and a longbow and go all out medevil on them......

Jail if you fancy taking a psycho Robin Hood wannabe on horse back on a boar hunt give me a shout (as long as some one has a 12 g for when things go wrong haha )

Not even that little tyke of yours with the orange jacket? :laugh:

No. . . . she very sensibly stands a couple of feet off their nose baying like feck into their face. Only once back up arrives (in one form or another) will she jump in, and hang on for dear life. She has an advantage though, being small, she just bounces about without getting too hurt, and is hard to bite as she generally tucks into a ball and hangs on lol. . . . . although would you believe she has never once actually met a boar whilst wearing her sexy wee jacket lol. . . . . . so we've abandoned its use now.

Obviosuly all tales are based upon our experiances hunting them overseas in countries where it's legal.

• Like 1

If I had a decent lurcher I wouldn't risk f##ing it up on boar.A game dog that tries to fight or kill a boar is going to end up a dead dog.You want a sensible dog that will catch and hold.

I agree, although i'd suggest you need TWO sensible dogs that will catch and hold. . . . . reduces the risk of the dog getting bitten, and increases the chance of getting an initial grip without having a chunk taken out of it. . . . . . .

• Like 1

^^^^ lol good point about the law forgot about that one :) obviously all this isnt in uk

Boar is all about technique ive seen some prity crap dogs catch them. I had a bitch terrible at everything else. Just had a knack for them. Just had good technique. Straight on the ear and controlled them. Also seen some great dogs who all or nothing on other quarry who i'd own in a shot be no good on them how ever many times they tried. I think it just an individual skill taking them. Personally i find them more of a hinderance when we after more prized things and these set dogs off. I hate shooting but temped to bring few in to clear them out for good. Bolts aint cheap lol

Jai high powered cross bow enters the skull like hot knife through butter. It over quick so perfectly fair. They ruine the estate over here