Wild Boar

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Catching hogs with dogs is extremely fun and exciting. That being said, it's not for everyone. In my opinion, men need to be as hard as their dogs. If my dogs have teeth in a pig, I will have

Without meaning to be a dick. . . . the big bad boar isn't going to hunt the dogs down if they decide to jib. . . . it will just bugger off into another corner.   And yes. . . . anything trapped in

The wolfhound over here are destroyed. I dont know of a single one that is close to the original breed. Kc ruined them. Over here they are way to large and big boned that most non sighthound breeds wi

Posted Images

Not sure shooting them with a crossbow is very fair lol.

Rob - Lads have taken them with a couple of decent collie x's. . . . not to mention bull x's.

But they are like no other quarry in the U.K, and the dogs know it. . . . . . and act accordingly, i'd say that a lof of dogs, even very game dogs, would think twicve before running into a good sized boar head on (which is usually the end they are facing).

They stab, bite, crush, ram and stomp. And I know of at least two dogs that tried it single handed and that was the last thing they tried!!!!

Edited to add - Anyone saying that their dog has KILLED a wild boar, is talking absolute shite!!!!!

2/3 dogs who know the score will take them and get them under control and make it look quiet easy in the end, the damage comes with dogs that are 1/2 hearted and owners that are or like everything you come across the odd bad arse ,but 8/10 their no big deal with dogs and handlers that know the score ,once sighted on any ground (along as their with in 100m )they shouldn't go 300m ,vests are a must for the smashing the dogs get once made contact but more so for protection from the trees etc when holding on to the boar and getting him under control the bloke who told me all this could of been a lier but then again i don't think he was :whistling: ......boar do need respect but a red stag or fallow buck pre ban that wanted to fight was a lot more of dangerous animal ,

Edited by DEERMAN
  • Like 3

Trying not to be killed by a big angry boar lol ........

haha couldint two bull x control a 150 pound bore are you sure it wasent a hippopotamus

Who said what weight it was fella ??? Obviously his dogs are not as big and tough as yours ......

• Like 1

haha couldint two bull x control a 150 pound bore are you sure it wasent a hippopotamus

Who said what weight it was fella ??? Obviously his dogs are not as big and tough as yours ......

I havent got bull x but I know his wasint seriously good if he endid up a tree get over it socks

Deerman - I don't own a pistol but reckon it would be a neat way to stay within the law.

And yes you can take them with two dogs, a commuted handler and a big knife. As far as I know up to about 120-150 kilos. Armour is nice but not 100% needed. The reason I respect them more than a stag is their intelligence.

And you're right about the distance thing - they don't run very far, but then catching up to them isn't the issue.

P.s it's not only bull x's, apparently a decent pair I collie lurchers can do the job, albeit both with a splash of bull.........

Deerman - I don't own a pistol but reckon it would be a neat way to stay within the law.

And yes you can take them with two dogs, a commuted handler and a big knife. As far as I know up to about 120-150 kilos. Armour is nice but not 100% needed. The reason I respect them more than a stag is their intelligence.

And you're right about the distance thing - they don't run very far, but then catching up to them isn't the issue.

P.s it's not only bull x's, apparently a decent pair I collie lurchers can do the job, albeit both with a splash of bull.........

Any one who does them regular will tell you armour is 100% needed or you will come unstuck again from the cider drinking man , UNLESS YOUR TALKING ABOUT DOGS THAT DONT MAKE CONTACT WITH BOAR ?,...once you caught up with them with right dogs it is not an issue ......collie x with dash of bull aren't your typical collie cross are they :laugh:

• Like 1

I havent got bull x but I know his wasint seriously good if he endid up a tree get over it socks

I've got nothing to get over fella ... Why you think I'm bothered is beyond me ... I've never been face to face with an angry wild boar so I will take his word for it that he needed to get up a tree ... Have tackled many ??? .......

when watching the Oz vids on wild boar , they have dogs all do different jobs, same as in new Zealand , some bail /lug , in most cases there about 6 dogs in a hunt. there dogs are all tested x bred bull,dane, etc . the new Zealand dog anything goes ,as long as it got 4 legs lol, they seem to like boxer x labs line bred type dogs, they just look like some of the bullxs here . But them pig hunters carry the pig on there backs , up mountains etc all hard graft more so with 150-200lb pig on your shoulders , looked great sport if your fit+strong bloke, I stick to couple rabbits easier to carry :D

when watching the Oz vids on wild boar , they have dogs all do different jobs, same as in new Zealand , some bail /lug , in most cases there about 6 dogs in a hunt. there dogs are all tested x bred bull,dane, etc . the new Zealand dog anything goes ,as long as it got 4 legs lol, they seem to like boxer x labs line bred type dogs, they just look like some of the bullxs here . But them pig hunters carry the pig on there backs , up mountains etc all hard graft more so with 150-200lb pig on your shoulders , looked great sport if your fit+strong bloke, I stick to couple rabbits easier to carry :D

yes your right there rabbits all the way its safe and legal

Edited by DEERMAN