Wild Boar

can they breed with each other, or do they?

Yes they can absolutely breed to one another.

don't know if I am right, but the domestic pig meat , supposed to taste better than the wild one,? ihad few wild boar burgers they were ok quite nice, so there you go lol

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Catching hogs with dogs is extremely fun and exciting. That being said, it's not for everyone. In my opinion, men need to be as hard as their dogs. If my dogs have teeth in a pig, I will have

Without meaning to be a dick. . . . the big bad boar isn't going to hunt the dogs down if they decide to jib. . . . it will just bugger off into another corner.   And yes. . . . anything trapped in

The wolfhound over here are destroyed. I dont know of a single one that is close to the original breed. Kc ruined them. Over here they are way to large and big boned that most non sighthound breeds wi

Posted Images

Catching hogs with dogs is extremely fun and exciting. That being said, it's not for everyone. In my opinion, men need to be as hard as their dogs. If my dogs have teeth in a pig, I will have my hands on the hog backing them up just as soon as I can get to the catch.

I would highly recommend going on a few trips with very experienced people before attempting it yourself.

The pig in the picture was around 400 pounds. My friend and I caught that boar a few nights ago. 2 dogs was all we used.

Keep up the posts mate make good reading , just ignore the experts and their expert views even thou they haven't done 1/100 what you have with boar its the THL LOL

• Like 3

can they breed with each other, or do they?

Yes they can absolutely breed to one another.

don't know if I am right, but the domestic pig meat , supposed to taste better than the wild one,? ihad few wild boar burgers they were ok quite nice, so there you go lol

Yes domestic pigs are a lot better table fair than a wild pig. I eat a lot of wild pig but I am pretty choosy about which ones I'll eat. Usually I keep a nice young fat sow or guilt. After skinning and quartering, my wife will put the meat in brian water amd let it soak for a couple of days then she will rinse it and let it soak a another day in fresh water in order to prevent the meat from being salty. After this is all done, the meat is pretty decent to cook and when BBQ'ed is pretty comparable to domestic pork. A boar that smells like pungent piss is never a good one to cook for me. Some people will BBQ a boar and they think it's good but I can general smell the meat before I taste it and know it come from a smelly boar hog. Tasting it confirms but they don't seem to taste what I do.

• Like 1

I'm probably going to get shot down for this and told I know nothing . . . . .

But no type of pig is native to north america. Domestic pigs were introduced from Europe in the 1500's by the spanish and there has been a feral population since then. Eurasian / Russian wild boar were introduced around 1910, and some escaped etc, so there has been a wild population of those since that time.

Both types freely interbreed (we have them here, called Iron Age Pigs), but true wild boar only come in one colour! Whereas the ferals and cross breeds (like the one in the picture above) come in a wide range of colours.

However thats not to say that coloured pigs are just escaped domestic ones, as obviously after that length of time, a 'feral' population, are effectively wild, and will have taken on many of the attributes of their 'wild boar' cousins, especially with inter breeding.

Tin hat on! (but the info above isn't my opinion. . . . . its historical fact).

• Like 3

Catching hogs with dogs is extremely fun and exciting. That being said, it's not for everyone. In my opinion, men need to be as hard as their dogs. If my dogs have teeth in a pig, I will have my hands on the hog backing them up just as soon as I can get to the catch.

I would highly recommend going on a few trips with very experienced people before attempting it yourself.

The pig in the picture was around 400 pounds. My friend and I caught that boar a few nights ago. 2 dogs was all we used.

Keep up the posts mate make good reading , just ignore the experts and their expert views even thou they haven't done 1/100 what you have with boar its the THL LOL

Thanks for the encouragement Deerman. I understand people are nieve and I don't mind answering questions when people are genuinely interested. People questioning others is healthy and prevents a lot of inexperienced people from getting away with acting like they are experts and prevents a lot of bad information from being taken as factual. That being said, it is aggrivating when someone who don't know squat tries to project themselves as some kind of authority on the subject. I don't feel like that was the case here. Given the boars size and his color, both questions I feel where well founded. People that have been around a lot of boars can indeed look at the head and ears and tell much more about the hog than others who are less familar with wild boar. I greatly appreciate the encouragement though. Means a lot!

• Like 1

I like to eat them as long there not to old. Had a few hog roasts with boar. Get the seasoning right and there pukka. Mustard bit of garlic and pepper seed.

Blackstreak Do you get many injuries doing them all the time ?? Also do you have to retire many young dogs due to injury from them ? In the states they seem to have alot of youngsters coming through is this due to the short work life expectancy ???

But no type of pig is native to north america. Domestic pigs were introduced from Europe in the 1500's by the spanish and there has been a feral population since then. Eurasian / Russian wild boar were introduced around 1910, and some escaped etc, so there has been a wild population of those since that time.

Both types freely interbreed (we have them here, called Iron Age Pigs), but true wild boar only come in one colour! Whereas the ferals and cross breeds (like the one in the picture above) come in a wide range of colours.

However thats not to say that coloured pigs are just escaped domestic ones, as obviously after that length of time, a 'feral' population, are effectively wild, and will have taken on many of the attributes of their 'wild boar' cousins, especially with inter breeding.

Your pretty much right as I know it sir. There are many native species of pig to different countries like the African bush pig to Africa and the European boar "Russian boar as most refer to them here" and so on but none were native to north america. I belive South America has a native pig that lives in the rain forest but not positive on that.

I personally thought that the European boar where bigger than the wild boar we have here. They look to be more fierce too lol

I would love to see in person good European wild boar but i never have and never will I don't imagine.

It doesn't matter which pig is meaner or bigger, (I wouldn't imagine the dogs would know the different between the two) they will both be similar to catch with dogs I'm sure.

Let's not forget the actual reason for posting the picture of the big boar. Be prepared for the big boys cause you will encounter them if you go dogging. The better prepared you are, the better of you and your dogs will be.

on a side note, often time the dogs will uncover the big boars first. They stink and are easier for your dogs to smell from further away.. Good post Ideation!

• Like 3

Your pretty much right as I know it sir. There are many native species of pig to different countries like the African bush pig to Africa and the European boar "Russian boar as most refer to them here" and so on but none were native to north america. I belive South America has a native pig that lives in the rain forest but not positive on that.

I personally thought that the European boar where bigger than the wild boar we have here. They look to be more fierce too lol

I would love to see in person good European wild boar but i never have and never will I don't imagine.

It doesn't matter which pig is meaner or bigger, (I wouldn't imagine the dogs would know the different between the two) they will both be similar to catch with dogs I'm sure.

Let's not forget the actual reason for posting the picture of the big boar. Be prepared for the big boys cause you will encounter them if you go dogging. The better prepared you are, the better of you and your dogs will be.

on a side note, often time the dogs will uncover the big boars first. They stink and are easier for your dogs to smell from further away.. Good post Ideation!

peccary is the native South American pig just thought I'd chip in with a bit of knowledge lol
  • Like 1

I like to eat them as long there not to old. Had a few hog roasts with boar. Get the seasoning right and there pukka. Mustard bit of garlic and pepper seed.

Blackstreak Do you get many injuries doing them all the time ?? Also do you have to retire many young dogs due to injury from them ? In the states they seem to have alot of youngsters coming through is this due to the short work life expectancy ???

I do not hunt the pigs with dogs like most do here in the states. I use dogs similar to what many Australian guys do and i hunt the way they hunt. My dogs fit my hunt style really well. Most people here in the US think I'm nuts and am asking to get my dogs killed but, actually I think my way is safer on the dogs and I don't need more than 2 dogs when hunting. There are pros and cons

to every style.

I have never had a dog die nor have I had to retire one YET. I've had to give them a little time off though. The day will come when I loose a dog but i hope it never does. I've seen suckling chest wounds and dogs bleeding out and battled heat stress but never lost a dog YET nor have i retired one yet. Oh as a side note and something interesting to note, the wounds that I just told you I have seen and have experience with, was when I used to do it like most do here in the US. I have hunted longer the aussie way than the bay dog/lead in catch dog way.

Worst experience I have had with my dogs I have now is two of them ran into one another at top speed head on when the pigs they were trying to catch crossed paths and I had a big boar come in and rip my dog off another pig my dog was holding. I still get the poke here and there. Fences are a concern of mine but so far nothing but minor stuff have i encountered with fences also.

• Like 2

I've never had the opportunity to do pig and I certainly don't have the dogs here to do them should the ban ever be lifted and the wild boar of this country become legitimate prey ... But where I live potentially would be a brilliant habitat for ferals and if they became something that could be hunted regularly then I would definately be looking at getting in a few dogs that could do the job and I would be looking at the American and oz boys for advice .........

peccary is the native South American pig just thought I'd chip in with a bit of knowledge lol

The Peccary or "Javalina" is not classified as a pig although it looks like a small pig. They categorize the Javalina as a rodent and not a swine. We have them here Iin Texas also, just not in my part of Texas. Rumor has it, you don't want your dogs on a one. I've heard stories and most don't turn out well on the behalf of the dogs

• Like 2

The Peccary or "Javalina" is not classified as a pig although it looks like a small pig. They categorize the Javalina as a rodent and not a swine. We have them here Iin Texas also, just not in my part of Texas. Rumor has it, you don't want your dogs on a one. I've heard stories and most don't turn out well on the behalf of the dogs

the discovery channel is wrong then shame on them

May be a daft question but are the boat that are living here the same species as they have in oz and the states? Seen some of the sites online where they have caught some monsters...400lb + beasts...I've never seen a boar here so have no clue what size and what they're attitude is like vs the American/oz/European boars...