Best Age To Start

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leethdog you sound like a young man eager for action like many of us when we started off our life with working terriers. You will need to be patient for your dog’s sake and for your own future enjoyme

started my old dog brock at 10 month old and hes never looked back, 1 of me pups here out of him is the same age and seen a fair bit for her age watching round the holes and rats mooching etc, but she

When their heads matured ..Many want in at an early age Let them mature first..More dogs are fecked through being entered too early

Posted Images

I have a 9 month old he has seen a few digs looks keen and interested I will not let him in until he is at least a year he is my first attempt at a digging dog my thinking is by then he should be capable of standing his ground atleast am I right on this

I have a 9 month old he has seen a few digs looks keen and interested I will not let him in until he is at least a year he is my first attempt at a digging dog my thinking is by then he should be capable of standing his ground atleast am I right on this

your first attempt at a digging dog Lee will be very short lived entering at a year old,but don't be listening to anyone on here it's your dog
  • Like 2

As soon as they show an interest.Some go some don't. Atb

Mine want in at around 6 months old but they don't see any action till there around 18 months old,just because they want to go don't mean there ready to go, I started two pups in jan- February, the dog pup as had 4 digs and bolted one but is sister as only had one dig, she's ready for more now but I'll take my time with em, they'll be two in August .

your first attempt at a digging dog Lee will be very short lived entering at a year old,but don't be listening to anyone on here it's your dog
wedgey I did say at least mate and I can take other people's advice that's why I asked am I right I have been out with a couple of people separately last season both were experienced terrier men and both have said when he is ready he is ready so IF he is ready at around a year I'll let him in IF he isn't ready I'll wait no worries I do know of a dog that self entered before a year and is 3 seasons in and mad for it is age that important if they want to go and seem capable and are not over faced edited to add from what knowledge I have of working terriers which is not a lot what I can make out of entering is that it is a process not the single action of a dog going to ground and said dog being totally oblivious to what is waiting in the dark for it . So for me one step at a time most probably starting around a year to 14 months Edited by leethedog

people say you can ruin dog from starting to young i hear this all the time but how do they no if they hold the same dog back till 18 month its not going to jib anyway ? i cant see the harm in a a few easy ones between the age of 12 to 18 month to prepare it for the futre

• Like 2

Putin pups to ground at a young age is a wrong move in my eyes u wudnt send a tennager out to fight a boxer wud ya.some dogs do go earlier and make it then alot are put up for sale due to being burnt out lol.give the pups time to mature

• Like 2

started my old dog brock at 10 month old and hes never looked back, 1 of me pups here out of him is the same age and seen a fair bit for her age watching round the holes and rats mooching etc, but she isnt ready, i cant put my finger on it but call it intuition ? the key to having good dogs is to have them out all the time with you there just like a sponge they take everything in, a good terrier man knows his dogs and of course they still jack but youve gota give them a helping hand sometimes, keep them winning.

• Like 7

i put mine at rats first bot 6mths,then have them about the holes give them an oul look when we break through,usualy works.

that is exactly what I mean my black dog was killing rats confidently at 6 months

I have a bitch here that went to ground at 9 months old by accident.She was dug to 2hr30min later with her quarry.She had took a bit of stick but was ok.That was the end of march and she was not taken out again until september and she has not looked back,5 year old now with a lot of diging behind her.A lot of lads are too eager to try there youngsters and end up spoiling what could have turned out a good terrier,let them be pups 1st and when they come of age then see what there made of with a few handy digs,most important is when you have them started to keep them winning so for the 1st season a few nice half hour digs is more than enough,lets them grow in confidence and also mature,dont be tempted to drop them into a deep place,its easy enough to start them if the right ingredients is there but its even easier to spoil them.

• Like 5