Lets See Them Whippets, Coarsing, Racing, Working

you said about using  small bitches chart 

the men this way back then before the good killers come about used big strong greyhounds solid back legs on them mostly bet to rules on the old aerodromes hard to stop them on it but doubled they stop a few on the arable 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Il start.. 2 year old. Bred from worker to worker, mostly ferreting, lamping mooching dogs, 21" pics have been put up before.

My whippets. Dam and son                  

Hopefully these few old pictures and some of recollections from my early teens (the late 1950’s and early 1960’s) may be of some interest. They’re all old style “rag whippets” and pre date the require

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you said about using  small bitches chart 

the men this way back then before the good killers come about used big strong greyhounds solid back legs on them mostly bet to rules on the old aerodromes hard to stop them on it but doubled they stop a few on the arable 

We used small greyhound bitches to breed non- peds to keep the pups weight down for racing, nothing to do with hares.

I remember talking to the lady who owned the American bitch , Cashells Evening that put up such a good show at the last Waterloo Cup, it was only about  50lb and 24”, smaller than some of todays non-peds !

6D44CDEB-B3E8-4E7B-A377-08479AF61617.jpeg.9c2b26f35c4123e4d7c3c227b3e37e97.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

We used small greyhound bitches to breed non- peds to keep the pups weight down for racing, nothing to do with hares.

I remember talking to the lady who owned the American bitch , Cashells Evening that put up such a good show at the last Waterloo Cup, it was only about  50lb and 24”, smaller than some of todays non-peds !

6D44CDEB-B3E8-4E7B-A377-08479AF61617.jpeg.9c2b26f35c4123e4d7c3c227b3e37e97.jpeg

Cheers.

with ya for the non peds 

ye i’ll see i can get a few pics from 50s 60s of the big strong greys 

Mc run against a whippet on a golf course your going lose run against those crosses that then Welsh lads or any lad that are running in those mountains your going to lose run gear that gives it back you lose but there's no doubting your slop dogs rule the roost in what you do and the ground you run but as you know speed isn't everything 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Leatherface said:

If you're using greyhound aren't they basically small line bred greyhounds?

I would say there is a much bigger percentage of whippet in the non-peds than greyhound.

No one tries to hide the fact that there is greyhound In their dogs but if you try to put too much greyhound blood in, you defeat the object of trying to breed a dog with the size of a whippet and the speed of the greyhound and fall foul of the weight limits the two main governing bodies have.

The weight limits for Racing Championships are from 16lb to 32lb in 2lb increments. Anything over 32lb can enter the various heavyweight or no-limit scratch racing.

Cheers.

Just now, chartpolski said:

I would say there is a much bigger percentage of whippet in the non-peds than greyhound.

No one tries to hide the fact that there is greyhound In their dogs but if you try to put too much greyhound blood in, you defeat the object of trying to breed a dog with the size of a whippet and the speed of the greyhound and fall foul of the weight limits the two main governing bodies have.

The weight limits for Racing Championships are from 16lb to 32lb in 2lb increments. Anything over 32lb can enter the various heavyweight or no-limit scratch racing.

Cheers.

I understand that but it's a stretch to call them whippets? I guess it doesn't mean much as the greyhound and the whippet share a common ancestor.

7 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Mc run against a whippet on a golf course your going lose run against those crosses that then Welsh lads or any lad that are running in those mountains your going to lose run gear that gives it back you lose but there's no doubting your slop dogs rule the roost in what you do and the ground you run but as you know speed isn't everything 

i’ll agree on the golf courses a good whippet is a sight to watch about unbeatable but  up on the hills with not much cover nothing will get away 

next season i’ll see me pal give us a run up your way on a few fox see you if me dog can take them lol 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

even 32lb a small dog really 

Just now, Leatherface said:

I understand that but it's a stretch to call them whippets? I guess it doesn't mean much as the greyhound and the whippet share a common ancestor.

I personally think they should be called “race dogs” but let’s not forget, the non- ped was around long before the ped and the BWRA , the non-ped body was around before the WRCA, the body for peds.

When the BWRA raised their weight limit to 55lb, I was outspoken against it, and when I said I’d seen smaller greyhounds win the Waterloo Cup, they banned me from their forum !

But it’s their sport, their rules , and anyone who doesnt like it can get a pedigree whippet and race it. Just as much fun, but not as fast .

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

you see loads going backwards off the last bend even getting stretchered off dont you lol 

it’s fairly obvious you know very little about racing greyhounds 

3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

No, I knew instantly that you got your maths the wrong way round.

It was 50 years ago when I was handicapping and whippets and greyhounds have got faster in that time, so if I was to do it now, I’d handicap at 17 yards per second rather than 16 yards per second as I used to.

Now you can get on with the homework I sent you and also write 100 times “ I must not contradict on something I know nothing about” ! 
Cheers.

That’s what he’s good at lol 

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

i’ll agree on the golf courses a good whippet is a sight to watch about unbeatable but  up on the hills with not much cover nothing will get away 

next season i’ll see me pal give us a run up your way on a few fox see you if me dog can take them lol 

Mc them Welsh hills are dangerous to walk never mind run gear and then dogs work  seriously hard to even find gear no point and slip there and it's one thing a day or one night try a few times a week every week then you will know what you have 😉

• Like 1