Working More Then 1 Dog?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For some people it's a hobby and they just like dogs?   The dogs aren't just working tools to some folk.   I like having more than one dog and would happily have 3-4 dogs around me. Never would I

Aye work 2 or 3 together when on my ground its vast with alot of gullys bracken and reed beds they will work well together most times or with a bit of distance between them not very often you get the

The wonderful thing about dogs, and especially lurchers, is that they are so adaptable. Work alone, work as a team, lamping at night, bushing by day or ferreting. One dog at night on the lamp, but hal

If I'm out doing day work which by day work both lurchers will be out with me lamping wise my young bitch gets most the lamping time as the old girl has done her fair share but sometimes the boys ask me to bring the old girl for abit of experience for the younget dogs !

• Like 1

I work both of mine together during daytime, lamping is a different thing one dog at a time, its too bloody dangerous and why risk losing a dog in a pointless exercise. There is no better feeling than when your dogs become a team that works together, all the stuff that you cant train them for suddenly gels and they work as one its brilliant to watch. :thumbs:

When i first got a lurcher it was frustrating when she got an injury and had to be rested so these days i keep two, with a fair age gap so when the older retires the younger (hopefully) will be in prime, then maybe get a pup. It only really works if you have loads of work/time/space (and money for the extra feckin vets bills)!!!!!

• Like 2

Aye work 2 or 3 together when on my ground its vast with alot of gullys bracken and reed beds they will work well together most times or with a bit of distance between them not very often you get the three of them on the one bunny because of cover seen me getting 2 at the one time in the reed beds dont do much lamping now but if i do one dog at night 20131011_125835_zpsef953e63.jpgPicture273.jpgPicture275.jpg

• Like 6

On the lamp with two dogs,,,,one on a lead,,,the other walking at heel,, ready to run,,,then swap over after a few runs,,,ferreting take both dogs,,or just take one,,,

There's no magic to any of it,,,if you leave one at home

• Like 4

1 dog per night/day and just keep rotating it. Like it has been said it depends how keen you are. Unless you can get out 5/6 nights/days in the winter stick to 1 dog. Shaun

one dog enough ,unless you out like the above ,and more importantly you got the quarry for more than one dog .? got 2 dogs myself one 7 one 2 year old,and the older dog never really been laid up to stop working. you get to point when you prefer to work just the one dog that you favour more than the other, I have I prefer the younger dog, suppose its natural you want to use the best. :yes:

• Like 2

i would say ray bird hit the nail on the head ,one allways starts to favour when keeping more than one animal has a lurcher ,i suppose if one brings fresh welp in when tother around the five yr markone does not start to become a collector of animals that will be wasting ,so easy to beget a welp when litters appear on paper and the thought of missing out his hard to pass up .i believe make the most of thy animal use it to his best .feeding keeping and above all time his the key doubled up dogs are thus made from keepers off numbers , there will be those who keep packs and for the life of me i cana get me head round it ,perhaps its me and expect and make the most of ones jukel and single his the only way.coursing bred kennels are of course a different kettle of fish ,and the numbers of wastage his high in this competitive world we now live in.atb bunnys.

i would say ray bird hit the nail on the head ,one allways starts to favour when keeping more than one animal has a lurcher ,i suppose if one brings fresh welp in when tother around the five yr markone does not start to become a collector of animals that will be wasting ,so easy to beget a welp when litters appear on paper and the thought of missing out his hard to pass up .i believe make the most of thy animal use it to his best .feeding keeping and above all time his the key doubled up dogs are thus made from keepers off numbers , there will be those who keep packs and for the life of me i cana get me head round it ,perhaps its me and expect and make the most of ones jukel and single his the only way.coursing bred kennels are of course a different kettle of fish ,and the numbers of wastage his high in this competitive world we now live in.atb bunnys.

true mate, just look at the rescue centre's the amount of lurchers in there, ive moved to new place now and the rescue lurchers I see are loads of them, people get bored of them or struggle finding the game for them then they end up there, and the people who got them now (don't) work them there just pet dogs. :yes: as said one dog enough unless you really got the work+time for 2 etc. dogs :yes:

• Like 1

true mate, just look at the rescue centre's the amount of lurchers in there, ive moved to new place now and the rescue lurchers I see are loads of them, people get bored of them or struggle finding the game for them then they end up there, and the people who got them now (don't) work them there just pet dogs. :yes: as said one dog enough unless you really got the work+time for 2 etc. dogs :yes:

ray this his very true there been 2 litters of late i would have loved to have taken a welp from but doing another at this given time aint a possibility jaz enough she still like a firework lol who would bother with the sheperd types only us young giuns .atb bunnys.