Holding A Dog Back Till 2 Or Older ??

Just wondering what people's views are on not entering a dog till it's 2 or older following a story in the countrymans weekly this week ?

Will it make the dog more sensible or make the dog harder because it's got older and more confident or would it not make any difference ??

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way would I keep a dog over 2 years that still hasn't shown any interest, I don't believe all that bollocks either that early starters don't last long, that's an excuse people use that have kennels

Holding it back will let the dog mature mentally I personally show a dog at around 16 to.18mnths then bring it on slowly not to much to soon that's just me. Atb d4g

think it depends on the dog , i'd be very disappointed in one not showing interest in going to ground from 6-9 months ..showing interest not entering although i have let some have a look at 9 months,

Posted Images

It would mean a long time of waiting to find out its shit lol.

Seriously though IMO 2 years is far too long, the best way is to let the dog decide when it's ready then it's down to the owner to keep it winning while it gains in experience.

I don't think early or late entering will decide on the dogs style of work that's more to do with breeding and the amount of work the dog is given.

• Like 6

Just wondering what people's views are on not entering a dog till it's 2 or older following a story in the countrymans weekly this week ?

Will it make the dog more sensible or make the dog harder because it's got older and more confident or would it not make any difference ??

16 month's give him a whirl right earth why not I let them run empty ones you now if they are ready but all different if he not ready hold him back butt 2 and half why to long

Cannot really give an age on when to start,ive had dogs busting to start at an early age but others took quite a bit longer,just this year have a dog that done a bit last season but then looked like he was about to quit so held him off and started again this season had a couple hiccups but is going from strength to strength next season will be the make or break for him.

Its great to have a dog that wants to go early but its hard,especially when you only have one and earths are crying out to be dug, to hold it back. Nevertheless I think genrally the best long term outcome will come from letting a pup have a taste and then waiting to at least 18months. Easy to say but not always easy in practice.

• Like 1

yeh some blackuns u have to hold bk but i had a border once n ran out of patience with 2 n half year old still not intrested...not for me...blackuns from 15month most are ready to go....its how u let um......

I would of got rid of that Border too mate.Ive got one here now that has been dug to at 3ft at 11months old. She was killing squirrels at 15 weeks. I think it comes down to strains not breeds. We are holding her back till next year..so far anyway :laugh:

• Like 1

My best dog was wanting work at 6months of age, but he did not see nothing nothing much untill he was 2, he had two and half seasons of a lot of work untill I lost him recently. I have another dog equal to him and the penny did not drop untill it was 2.5-3year old, every dog is different, that's all some dogs need is time