Holding A Dog Back Till 2 Or Older ??

Wont sit well with some but terrier work for us goes well on into April with vixens to ground on the shoots we now get on after the shooting season .I would never own an un-entered terrier at the age of 2 let alone 3 but JMO.Some thought needs to go into when you breed as to how much you can show your apprentice but most dont give this a thought

my thoughts entirely pal....you no ifits got it from 14month old its how yer want graft it work it.and depends how many terriers you have in yer kennels.

• Like 1

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way would I keep a dog over 2 years that still hasn't shown any interest, I don't believe all that bollocks either that early starters don't last long, that's an excuse people use that have kennels

Holding it back will let the dog mature mentally I personally show a dog at around 16 to.18mnths then bring it on slowly not to much to soon that's just me. Atb d4g

think it depends on the dog , i'd be very disappointed in one not showing interest in going to ground from 6-9 months ..showing interest not entering although i have let some have a look at 9 months,

Posted Images

i once knew of a line of blacks uns ready to go at 9 months and plenty did --- but they did`nt have to i never took much notice back then but i wish i had noted which ones lasted longer the early entered ones or the later...

Wont sit well with some but terrier work for us goes well on into April with vixens to ground on the shoots we now get on after the shooting season .I would never own an un-entered terrier at the age of 2 let alone 3 but JMO.Some thought needs to go into when you breed as to how much you can show your apprentice but most dont give this a thought .Up until the age of entering pups are shown as much small game as pos

and yet you stated that you know your terrier lines so if mine are known to be late starters i should bin them lol yeh. My passing phase is in its 42nd year and still learning lol mind you still know fook all Edited by gonetoearth

Wont sit well with some but terrier work for us goes well on into April with vixens to ground on the shoots we now get on after the shooting season .I would never own an un-entered terrier at the age of 2 let alone 3 but JMO.Some thought needs to go into when you breed as to how much you can show your apprentice but most dont give this a thought .Up until the age of entering pups are shown as much small game as pos

and yet you stated that you know your terrier lines so if mine are known to be late starters i should bin them lol yeh. My passing phase is in its 42nd years and sill learning lol mind you still know fook all

If you wind your neck in and read the post you will see i put on the end JMO .just my opinion.At the age of 2 if they aint done nowt they are gone. I can only write truthfully about what i know and not speculate on what i think you want to read .Carry on with your ways and so will i

• Like 1

Every dog is different.. I treat them like boxers whatever age they start.. start them of easy and work their way up

Every dog aint different though mate .It really suprises me to read shit like this on here time after time and re-afirms the fact that loads of you still scatter breed with no other agenda than the last one worked .Going over the same ground as most of my posts in banging on about lines and the importance of it is getting boring for many i see including me and i sometimes wonder why i bother but if you breed a line then they are exactly that ,a line of clones almost that behave so similar its like they are clockwork .The only description in them being not machines is the amount of work i give each to not sicken it .The amount of people on here that cant see beyond whats in their kennel now is worrying to be honest .

Edited to say not a dig at you mate in person

Got to go baths overflowing lol

• Like 1

and yet you stated that you know your terrier lines so if mine are known to be late starters i should bin them lol yeh. My passing phase is in its 42nd years and sill learning lol mind you still know fook all

If you wind your neck in and read the post you will see i put on the end JMO .just my opinion.At the age of 2 if they aint done nowt they are gone. I can only write truthfully about what i know and not speculate on what i think you want to read .Carry on with your ways and so will i

. Wind my neck in lol. If at the age of two there gone. Lol yeh ok. Succes is bringing terriers on. Succes is breeding and passing on the working gene Yes i have had youngens start and fail and older start and fail. There aint no magic formular or garentees. , what works for me wont for others , Am down your way soon. Ill come out with you and you can buy me a pint.

Every dog is different.. I treat them like boxers whatever age they start.. start them of easy and work their way up

Every dog aint different though mate .It really suprises me to read shit like this on here time after time and re-afirms the fact that loads of you still scatter breed with no other agenda than the last one worked .Going over the same ground as most of my posts in banging on about lines and the importance of it is getting boring for many i see including me and i sometimes wonder why i bother but if you breed a line then they are exactly that ,a line of clones almost that behave so similar its like they are clockwork .The only description in them being not machines is the amount of work i give each to not sicken it .The amount of people on here that cant see beyond whats in their kennel now is worrying to be honest .

Edited to say not a dig at you mate in person

Got to go baths overflowing lol

. Fook me how many times have you run that bath you should know by now how long its takes !!!!!!
  • Like 1

So you can garentee all you lineage will go to ground and work in the same way. Clones !!!!! How many times do you line breed before you out cross and is your out cross a distant relation to your own lines. Just interested in learning

think it depends on the dog , i'd be very disappointed in one not showing interest in going to ground from 6-9 months ..showing interest not entering although i have let some have a look at 9 months, yo-yo's rarely make the grade, hard dogs can settle if not expected to do to much in the first season, bayers well they will get better after 2 years old as they get to grips at the end ....but holding back is different to no interest so each to there own..... Two pups breed 2011 brother sister line/inbred dog pup found and self entered and was dug at 7 months with a vixen the bitch a bit shyer started at 14 months old

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 8