Holding A Dog Back Till 2 Or Older ??

slowly slowly catchy monkey....very very easy to ruin a potentially good dog by giving it to much to young. even if a dog is going mad for it at a very young age, still best to hold it back i.m.o. the whole 1st season is for learning, again, only my opinion. always keep them begging for more with plenty left in the tank...

Yokel

• Like 1

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No way would I keep a dog over 2 years that still hasn't shown any interest, I don't believe all that bollocks either that early starters don't last long, that's an excuse people use that have kennels

Holding it back will let the dog mature mentally I personally show a dog at around 16 to.18mnths then bring it on slowly not to much to soon that's just me. Atb d4g

think it depends on the dog , i'd be very disappointed in one not showing interest in going to ground from 6-9 months ..showing interest not entering although i have let some have a look at 9 months,

Posted Images

yeh some blackuns u have to hold bk but i had a border once n ran out of patience with 2 n half year old still not intrested...not for me...blackuns from 15month most are ready to go....its how u let um......

I would of got rid of that Border too mate.Ive got one here now that has been dug to at 3ft at 11months old. She was killing squirrels at 15 weeks. I think it comes down to strains not breeds. We are holding her back till next year..so far anyway

glad to ere bout your border mate.how do u fink she wud work now pal hard or steady if u let her go now...the blk dog i had was mad for it from 11month aswell baseically he ended up too hard really was dead at 3n half.she wud be just [BANNED TEXT] age the comeing season aswell for yer pal

Here's a question? Many digs would you put on a 2 year old dog 2,3or4 or would you keep them at it once they've started ?

Started a young dog towards end of the season give him 2 digs leave him till next season mines over anyway dogs differ and time of entering if your season over you can't keep them at it

Here's a question? Many digs would you put on a 2 year old dog 2,3or4 or would you keep them at it once they've started ?

Me personally once they hit 2 years of age and they are wanting work and as long as their fit they get it and lots of it. A hand full of easy places and then I don't mind giving them them some testers, places where they have to search, whether they find or not it's all good experience and it develops their finding ability. The amount of digs you get depends on the dog and it's style

• Like 2

IMO breeding from scatter bred stuff you aint never going to fully know your terriers.Terriers from a linage are pretty predictable give or take the odd one. I personally like a terrier to self enter,no hole ending ,short digs or doubling up .In my experience, by what ive seen ,it just gets the youngster wound up and damaged .I like a young un to crawl in cautiously, hopefully find and bay its heart out .Most of mine enevitably start a bit hard first year though but steady up the more they see which is the same for most im guessing .From 14 months on i expect a young un to be up for it .I hate dogs doing loops on chains at a dig and whining does my head in to the point that i only take the young un out if i have one to start .Taking the dog to an earth i will say nothing encourage nothing as i want to see what i have .If it goes then great but if not its try again .Patience is something i have in bounds but by the age of 17 -18 months i will know whether or not to persevere.Starting at 2 years old seems a bit strange to me and id like to know the reasoning behind it .Dogs fully grown by 12 months ,fully mature at 14 so why the wait .JMO

• Like 6

I was impatient in my youth seen terriers working thought it was simple get a pup take it to a hole and hey presto how wrong was i. Bringing on pups Every one has there own ways , me i like pups to be pups then as they develope in statue and nature take them out with older terriers let them get confidence, the in the old days cage trap a rat let them worry it in the cage and. Take the cage out into the middle of a stubble let the rat out and let the young terriers chase hunt it Differant terriers act differently , then just take them out for a days ratting building their confidence , take them to meet the hounds and terriers shows to sociallise them used to get them on the couplings pre ban and sit them up above the earth to spectate , And the end of a digg back then. Let them see the dead qaurry , have a sniff and a rag Till they started to show more interest. No rush just let them take their own time had one that would not do anything round hounds a qivering wreck lol. But take out on her own differant bitch , Two years of age is perfect in my opinion Why ruin a terrier , had them that showed no interest till three , gave a pup to a lad down south said it was shite i got it back gave it to some one else who had great succes , patience is a virtue WHAT AINT ROBOTS ??????

I was impatient in my youth seen terriers working thought it was simple get a pup take it to a hole and hey presto how wrong was i. Bringing on pups Every one has there own ways , me i like pups to be pups then as they develope in statue and nature take them out with older terriers let them get confidence, the in the old days cage trap a rat let them worry it in the cage and. Take the cage out into the middle of a stubble let the rat out and let the young terriers chase hunt it Differant terriers act differently , then just take them out for a days ratting building their confidence , take them to meet the hounds and terriers shows to sociallise them used to get them on the couplings pre ban and sit them up above the earth to spectate , And the end of a digg back then. Let them see the dead qaurry , have a sniff and a rag Till they started to show more interest. No rush just let them take their own time had one that would not do anything round hounds a qivering wreck lol. But take out on her own differant bitch , Two years of age is perfect in my opinion Why ruin a terrier , had them that showed no interest till three , gave a pup to a lad down south said it was shite i got it back gave it to some one else who had great succes , patience is a virtue WHAT AINT ROBOTS ??????

no interest till 3 why keep that long not a dig mate but a question everyone different I guess

no interest till 3 why keep that long not a dig mate but a question everyone different I guess
. Because i am me and have the time and dont have nothing to prove or disprove to any one lol Edited by gonetoearth
  • Like 5

. Because i am me and have the time and dont have nothing to prove or disprove to any one lol
. Mind you should have hit it over the head with a shovle to get loads of likes on here lol

Wont sit well with some but terrier work for us goes well on into April with vixens to ground on the shoots we now get on after the shooting season .I would never own an un-entered terrier at the age of 2 let alone 3 but JMO.Some thought needs to go into when you breed as to how much you can show your apprentice but most dont give this a thought .Up until the age of entering pups are shown as much small game as pos

• Like 1

if you`ve got one now 14 months and you can only show it 2 digs this season do you hold it back till oct time 22 months ,,

I have mate and gone to earth ( Hit Over the HEAD WITH A SHOVEL) I think not mate im a dog boy not a dick

Wont sit well with some but terrier work for us goes well on into April with vixens to ground on the shoots we now get on after the shooting season .I would never own an un-entered terrier at the age of 2 let alone 3 but JMO.Some thought needs to go into when you breed as to how much you can show your apprentice but most dont give this a thought

I've stopped because I hit on a litter of cubs not for me if you gotta you gotta i aint gotta and yea let her go and covered them over
  • Like 3

I usually exercise pups with the older dogs in a big open place where the only harm they can get into is maybe chase a hare and this gets them used to traveling in the boxes and also using there nose a bit on the ground.Then when they come around the 14month old stage i take them out and if they are ready to be dug then i will dig them.I started 2 bitchs this season and both self entered and both have been dug to 10-11 times each and they are just 20 months now.A lot depends on the style the dog works as to how many digs it gets on its 1st season,some terriers are hard to get started but more are too easily ruined when they have been started,i like to try and keep a young terrier winning every time its goes to ground as the more confidence its gets the better it will become.

• Like 8