Rabbiting Dogs

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres mine not one over 21tts thats all use them for mooching and a we bit lamping mostly ferreting

Posted Images

Don't know spotted it on you tube just before the vid ends and the dogs far away look at the squatters it puts up to : )

I have places like that down here and they are hard old places to get a dog to catch, have a fair few myself. If the dog catches 1 in 12 it's doing well.

run2.jpg

The stand off rarely leads to success.

rabbits2.jpg

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 4

So, I have not been running rabbits with my whippets for very long as they are 14 months and 8 1/2 months old. Sirius' second picture (above) shows the most common set up around my place. How in the heck is the dog suppose to snap that one up? My older whippet gets awfully close some times. He can keep bumping them through the bush but my place is cut out of a large forest/swamp. It seems like a waste of time for him to work them like a beagle so I call him out and back to hand after it goes in the bush. I think he's getting the idea. After about a month of resisting me, he's coming back much more readily and is standing right in position for me to string the slip back on his collar. We have a bumper crop of rabbits this year so it helps that we can run a rabbit about every 5-10 minutes as long as we just keep walking. Anyhow, any suggestions from anyone doing this for more than a few months would be great. Here's a picture of Mikey the older male:

28b606x.jpg

• Like 3

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/crorider/media/2013-08-21_18-26-36_zpsf5a6de59.png.html

Dog on the left is my best rabbiting dog out of the 3 or mine but you would of thought itd be the worst the way its bred. The dog on the right is quarter beddy whippet. Can't believe my mate sold it, best rabbit dog I've seen on the lamp

Edited by crorider
  • Like 1