Rabbiting Dogs

Don't know spotted it on you tube just before the vid ends and the dogs far away look at the squatters it puts up to : )

I have places like that down here and they are hard old places to get a dog to catch, have a fair few myself. If the dog catches 1 in 12 it's doing well.

run2.jpg

The stand off rarely leads to success.

rabbits2.jpg

Is that 1 in 12 seen or 1 in 12 run?

If its the latter, it must be demoralising for man and dog?

Not a crab, just wondering as if it was me, I'd be questioning myself and my mutts :thumbs:

Cheers, D.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres mine not one over 21tts thats all use them for mooching and a we bit lamping mostly ferreting

Posted Images

So, I have not been running rabbits with my whippets for very long as they are 14 months and 8 1/2 months old. Sirius' second picture (above) shows the most common set up around my place. How in the heck is the dog suppose to snap that one up? My older whippet gets awfully close some times. He can keep bumping them through the bush but my place is cut out of a large forest/swamp. It seems like a waste of time for him to work them like a beagle so I call him out and back to hand after it goes in the bush. I think he's getting the idea. After about a month of resisting me, he's coming back much more readily and is standing right in position for me to string the slip back on his collar. We have a bumper crop of rabbits this year so it helps that we can run a rabbit about every 5-10 minutes as long as we just keep walking. Anyhow, any suggestions from anyone doing this for more than a few months would be great. Here's a picture of Mikey the older male:

28b606x.jpg

Get out at night with a lamp. Bunny will travel further out to feed at night. Ideally get between them and the bushes they head for

So, I have not been running rabbits with my whippets for very long as they are 14 months and 8 1/2 months old. Sirius' second picture (above) shows the most common set up around my place. How in the heck is the dog suppose to snap that one up? My older whippet gets awfully close some times. He can keep bumping them through the bush but my place is cut out of a large forest/swamp. It seems like a waste of time for him to work them like a beagle so I call him out and back to hand after it goes in the bush. I think he's getting the idea. After about a month of resisting me, he's coming back much more readily and is standing right in position for me to string the slip back on his collar. We have a bumper crop of rabbits this year so it helps that we can run a rabbit about every 5-10 minutes as long as we just keep walking. Anyhow, any suggestions from anyone doing this for more than a few months would be great. Here's a picture of Mikey the older male:

28b606x.jpg

Get out at night with a lamp. Bunny will travel further out to feed at night. Ideally get between them and the bushes they head for

Any daytime tricks? No night hunting with lights here.

28b606x.jpg

Any daytime tricks? No night hunting with lights here.

Aye get a ferret :laugh:

• Like 2

Well, not to sound like a stick in the mud...we can't hunt with ferrets last I looked. I was going to research that and see if it's alright. I know when I lived in Minnesota, ferrets were illegal to hunt with. I'm not 100% sure about Wisconsin. In all my years of hunting, I've never run into one person that has done it around here. As close to it as I've seen is when people take terriers out and push game out of long piles and holes. There aren't very many people that do that either but there are a few more. I've only known a handful that have a lurcher about when they hunt with terriers. I always seem to be the only person doing whatever it is I'm doing. I keep thinking to myself about how much fun I'm having but I never run into anyone that is doing the same thing. I'll get to the ferret thing a bit later after I get the hang of the whippets and the lurchers. It's a fun break from training hounds. Not that I don't like my hounds but I'm doing that nearly every day and it's just fun to do something new once in a while. When I'm out with the whippets I feel like there is no pressure and I feel like a kid out looking for some fun. That's a pretty nice break as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to come up with a way to push those rabbits along the woods line a little farther before they go in. I can't think of anything off hand but there's got to be a trick I can find. Even if I can get a couple of extra feet out of the chase, my catch rate will increase.

Sorry mate never realised your in USA :icon_redface:

Depends on the land/fields your working..

Over here I personally don't catch many daytime rabbits unless its in rough ground - seed beds - fell ground..

Rabbits have to be there to be caught ..

Most spots I go, they don't sit far from home..

If I never used lamps and ferrets. I would come home with the odd one & likely blank most days :laugh:

I get them sat out in stuff like this....

They have to hit the open and are often far from a set.. Some times I think they live on top and in the walls as I don't see many sets..

187.jpg

But for daytime rabbits its ferrets for me

ferritnstew004.jpg

A flush on the fells

dogs003.jpg

dogs004.jpg

dogs028.jpg

dogs035.jpg

Rabbits in that scrum and my dogs paw is in that numpties mouth

dogs038.jpg

Edited by Giro
  • Like 7

Sorry mate never realised your in USA :icon_redface:

Depends on the land/fields your working..

Over here I personally don't catch many daytime rabbits unless its in rough ground - seed beds - fell ground..

Rabbits have to be there to be caught ..

Most spots I go, they don't sit far from home..

If I never used lamps and ferrets. I would come home with the odd one & likely blank most days :laugh:

I get them sat out in stuff like this....

They have to hit the open and are often far from a set.. Some times I think they live on top and in the walls as I don't see many sets..

187.jpg

But for daytime rabbits its ferrets for me

ferritnstew004.jpg

A flush on the fells

dogs003.jpg

dogs004.jpg

dogs028.jpg

dogs035.jpg

Rabbits in that scrum and my dogs paw is in that numpties mouth

dogs038.jpg

good pics :thumbs:

• Like 1

Don't know spotted it on you tube just before the vid ends and the dogs far away look at the squatters it puts up to : )

I have places like that down here and they are hard old places to get a dog to catch, have a fair few myself. If the dog catches 1 in 12 it's doing well.

run2.jpg

rabbits2.jpg

Not a crab, just wondering as if it was me, I'd be questioning myself and my mutts :thumbs:

Cheers, D.

Don't worry Dykos, I question why I keep such under achievers every day :yes::laugh:

Ran 8 the other evening in the day light and came home with zilch.

My point is you can have places stacked with rabbits sat out like in the video posted above and they are not easy to catch as people may think. Basically good to give the dog a run but can be soul destroying for a youngster IMO. If a dog is picking up a few daytime regularly round here it's doing well, or maybe I need to see a decent dog, as honestly I don't get out much :yes:

'No chance'

Bunniesw.jpg

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 6

run2.jpg

rabbits2.jpg

Cheers, D.

Don't worry Dykos, I question why I keep such under achievers every day :yes::laugh:

My point is you can have places stacked with rabbits sat out like in the video posted above and they are not easy to catch as people may think. Basically good to give the dog a run but can be soul destroying for a youngster IMO. If a dog is picking up a few daytime regularly round here it's doing well, or maybe I need to see a decent dog, as honestly I don't get out much :yes:

No worries mate, I respect your posts :thumbs: the point I was trying to get across was if your getting the runs but not the catches, (especially on the lamp) perhaps you need to change tactics? :hmm:

Cheers, D.

run2.jpg

rabbits2.jpg

Cheers, D.

No worries mate, I respect your posts :thumbs: the point I was trying to get across was if your getting the runs but not the catches, (especially on the lamp) perhaps you need to change tactics? :hmm:

Cheers, D.

I get what yer saying and yer right but day time on average fields even with lots of rabbits its a tough call. Lamping s a different matter isn't it If I was running 12 and only catching one I think I would buy a rifle :laugh::thumbs:

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 2

Daytime when there's lots of rabbits like that can be a nightmare, the dog doesn't commit to one, at night it a different story altogether you send the dog to the one you pick...

Same as you Sirius, lucky to catch them in the day round here... Unless there bolted... Cheers

Daytime when there's lots of rabbits like that can be a nightmare, the dog doesn't commit to one, at night it a different story altogether you send the dog to the one you pick...

Same as you Sirius, lucky to catch them in the day round here... Unless there bolted... Cheers

You can even have too many at night . . . .

Been asked to ferret through a place in the past, so that the lad could lamp it better. . . . .

Yea definitely get too many at night. It's so much harder to catch in fields full of them. They always seem to know exactly where they're going and don't feck about. That's probably why there's so many of them in those particular fields cos they can easily find their way out