Sooty Sam Lines

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Johnny 2,you spend a lot of time defending someone you've never seen hunt a dog,there's been a lot of sh*te talked about Mikes dogs that even he would laugh at,I knew Mike before he ever got into whip

Are you no getting a wee bit confused mate?   What most folk have said IS. . . . . they they have had pups from him, or out of his dogs and they have proved very good workers in the field, time afte

Have you actually been out with any of his dogs? Or many dogs from him?   Just out of interest?   And do you actually know how many litters he breeds mate?   Or is it all total theory?   Being

Posted Images

the question is asked whether mike brown works his dogs....

as on here and other forums...people arselick him as a great 'worker of dogs' .... but im yet to hear of one person who has ACTUALLY SEEN him work his dogs.

but mention sooty sam and your quids in....

Are you no getting a wee bit confused mate?

What most folk have said IS. . . . . they they have had pups from him, or out of his dogs and they have proved very good workers in the field, time after time.

That speaks for itself to me.

People do not 'arselick' him as a great worker of dogs. . . . . they 'arselick' him (as you so charmingly put it) as a producer of great working whippets. Nothing more.

Whether he works his dogs or not, whether he worked Sooty Sam or not (funnily enough the dog retired after a working accident I believe). . . . . those dogs produce workers.. . . . .and that HAS been proven time and time again.

At the end of the day, I have a dog from him. . . . . i'm sure there are plenty of other producers of great working whippets. . . . . but most of those that I have seen I would not keep, they just would not stand up to what I do with my dog (rightly or wrongly). Breed standard or not, the wee, frail looking 18 inch dogs, that break at the drop of a hat, just don't do anything for me at all. . . . sorry. If I wanted another whippet tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I would ring Mike. :thumbs:

No offence BPR, but you do seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about the man and his dogs. . . . why don't you give him a ring and speak to him personally, he will tell you no lies. :thumbs:

• Like 7

as on here and other forums...people arselick him as a great 'worker of dogs' .... but im yet to hear of one person who has ACTUALLY SEEN him work his dogs.

What most folk have said IS. . . . . they they have had pups from him, or out of his dogs and they have proved very good workers in the field, time after time.

People do not 'arselick' him as a great worker of dogs. . . . . they 'arselick' him (as you so charmingly put it) as a producer of great working whippets. Nothing more.

Whether he works his dogs or not, whether he worked Sooty Sam or not (funnily enough the dog retired after a working accident I believe). . . . . those dogs produce workers.. . . . .and that HAS been proven time and time again.

At the end of the day, I have a dog from him. . . . . i'm sure there are plenty of other producers of great working whippets. . . . . but most of those that I have seen I would not keep, they just would not stand up to what I do with my dog (rightly or wrongly). Breed standard or not, the wee, frail looking 18 inch dogs, that break at the drop of a hat, just don't do anything for me at all. . . . sorry. If I wanted another whippet tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I would ring Mike. :thumbs:

No offence BPR, but you do seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about the man and his dogs. . . . why don't you give him a ring and speak to him personally, he will tell you no lies. :thumbs:

I think the point that people miss out is that it was Sooty Sam that was a good dog and producer, but the credit for that should go to the people who produced the strain through years of hard work and disappointment and all that goes with the breeding of a strain. Mike Brown did not produce that blood, but he would sell it. Ive seen Laguna dogs coursing in competition. They were on the size limit and very strong. A mate of mine had a big black dog..pure Laguna with papers but he never peddled it, so no one knows his name. If you google Laguna whippet you will get anybody but the real breeders of the strain..all you will get is the peddlers. Sooty Sam was a good producer,I know that but thats not down to Mike Brown.

• Like 1

I think the point that people miss out is that it was Sooty Sam that was a good dog and producer, but the credit for that should go to the people who produced the strain through years of hard work and disappointment and all that goes with the breeding of a strain. Mike Brown did not produce that blood, but he would sell it. Ive seen Laguna dogs coursing in competition. They were on the size limit and very strong. A mate of mine had a big black dog..pure Laguna with papers but he never peddled it, so no one knows his name. If you google Laguna whippet you will get anybody but the real breeders of the strain..all you will get is the peddlers. Sooty Sam was a good producer,I know that but thats not down to Mike Brown.

Mikes dogs are not laguna though are they, and he doesn't claim them to be, at least not to my knowledge. When I rang him about a pup the first time, he never mentioned Laguna, or anything about it. He also does not claim to have created the strain. What he has done, is mix together blood from different lines, in order to create what has become a fairly consistent line a decent working whippet.

Whilst I agree that ss was a good dog and producer, his blood is a good way back in most of the dogs that Mike is breeding these days, and they are still doing the business showing no signs of reduced working ability, the further away they get from that dog.

BPR - I don't think anyone claimed that he was the be all and end all of working whippets, or even that he produced the best. All that has been said is that he consistently produces good dogs, that seem to excel in the field, I personally have never spoke to anyone that has been disappointed. . . .. although i'm sure there are a few.

The biggest criticisms I hear about the dogs he produces are they are too tall, not 'proper' whippets etc. Well. . . . whatever they are, they seem to do the trick. And whatever other blood has found it's way in, seems to have been a good, rather than a bad thing, from where I am standing. I have seen some other lines of whippets that have looked like they could handle the work, but many others are wee frail things.

And like has been said, if you want to know about his dogs etc, give the man himself a ring, rather than going on hearsay.

:thumbs:

I'm not too clued up on the whippets anymore but I have met Mike and the infamous Toby who had been retired due to a pretty bad hunting accident and he seemed a genuine enough feller to me. All his dogs were well cared for and in good nick.

Bpr was your dog off kreet?

mike may not have bred the line to begin with but should be given credit for progressing the blood line we all know how easy it is to loose the working ability many people have tried to create there own brand be it terriers or running dogs and found out they have quickly ruined the line

• Like 1

mike may not have bred the line to begin with but should be given credit for progressing the blood line we all know how easy it is to loose the working ability many people have tried to create there own brand be it terriers or running dogs and found out they have quickly ruined the line

mb started marketing the phrase "working whippet" alongside ss, working whippets did nt exist before this they were just whippets

ss grand parents on one side were Laguna 2 out of 16 grand parents!

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Mikes dogs are not laguna though are they, and he doesn't claim them to be, at least not to my knowledge. When I rang him about a pup the first time, he never mentioned Laguna, or anything about it. He also does not claim to have created the strain. What he has done, is mix together blood from different lines, in order to create what has become a fairly consistent line a decent working whippet.

Whilst I agree that ss was a good dog and producer, his blood is a good way back in most of the dogs that Mike is breeding these days, and they are still doing the business showing no signs of reduced working ability, the further away they get from that dog.

BPR - I don't think anyone claimed that he was the be all and end all of working whippets, or even that he produced the best. All that has been said is that he consistently produces good dogs, that seem to excel in the field, I personally have never spoke to anyone that has been disappointed. . . .. although i'm sure there are a few.

The biggest criticisms I hear about the dogs he produces are they are too tall, not 'proper' whippets etc. Well. . . . whatever they are, they seem to do the trick. And whatever other blood has found it's way in, seems to have been a good, rather than a bad thing, from where I am standing. I have seen some other lines of whippets that have looked like they could handle the work, but many others are wee frail things.

And like has been said, if you want to know about his dogs etc, give the man himself a ring, rather than going on hearsay.

:thumbs:

I bred a litter from SS and he certainly put his mark on sevral of the dogs, that turned out to be very good dogs,that would take Fox. That dog was the backbone of His breeding, and all the conversations I had with Mike featured the Laguna word a lot.

I think Whippets need a height limit or they just get lost somewhere between a lurcher and a weak Greyhound. Like the none ped whippets.One day they will have nowhere to go without a pure standerised dog to go back to.

mb started marketing the phrase "working whippet" alongside ss, working whippets did nt exist before this they were just whippets

ss grand parents on one side were Laguna 2 out of 16 grand parents!

Y.I.S Leeview

i don't know how the phrase working whippet follows on from my post I was talking about mike progressing the working ability and blood line from ss as many people have found 1 or 2 wrong moves and its gone

No chip on my shoulder mate.Just making the point that he isnt the be all and end all...of working whippets.

BPRHave You Ever Seen A M.B. Bred Whippet In The Field ? Why Are You So Persistent On Who Has Seen His Dogs Work . . Surely There Has Been Enough Feed Back From Genuine Lads Who Have These Whippets And Are More Than Happy With What He Producers . . If Mike Was On Here Bigging His Dogs Up I Could See Your Point In Wanting Too Know How They Work . . BUT HE ISN'T . . He Doesn't Need Too . . The Dogs Do That For Him And Surely That Says It All !! . . Edited As I Spelt Your Name Wrong Mate. Edited by lanesra