Its always amused me when folk who know nothing about bodybuilding just presume that anyone who takes it seriously must be " vain " !!............Baw you say " its got to be solely vanity "................why ?..........if i buy a fast car and pay money to make it even faster is that due to vanity ?........if i have a good dog who catches plenty of bunnies,but i get him super fit so he can catch even more bunnies,is that vanity ?................this logic that people spend thousands of pounds with absolutely no return,spend years gaining knowledge,years working hard pushing their bodies......is down to vanity,is absolutely ludicrous !.......Stone me if i was a vain man id of got my hooter sorted out long before bothering to lift weights :laugh: Im not quite as brave as Socks as regards putting a pic up but i doubt many folk would believe my age from a pic a few days out from contest.....have a look at someone like Stallone who has had a lifetime of fitness and used gear for many years.....tell me his shape and condition is not outstanding and admireable for a man of his years......or should you just sit and eat drink smoke yourself into a fat sloppy unhealthy mess !!

Having been around gyms as long as i can remember ive seen very different characters come and go......a gym is place where you can lose yourself or find yourself......ive seen big strong lads walk in gyms with no interest whatsoever in sport,health or fitness....go straight on the gear,only work the showy muscle groups arms/chest etc...........then lose interest once their initial growth stops.......they are lost souls !.................on the other hand ive seen skinny shy timid lads walk in the gym,willing to listen learn,dedicate themself.......who over time not only develop their body but develop their self worth and confidence as well as gain that beautiful feeling of waking up feeling strong......they are the ones who find themself.

Steroids are like putting the finishing touches on your hard work......to think its all in the name of vanity is very ignorant and naive.

• Like 4

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought you were gonna threaten to beat me up mate. I am unfit, overweight, wear glasses, suffer from bouts of cowardice & I'm a bleeder.....it would be pretty pointless & you could take no

Its always amused me when folk who know nothing about bodybuilding just presume that anyone who takes it seriously must be " vain " !!............Baw you say " its got to be solely vanity "...........

funny how people slag steroids off yet think its ok to act/fight like a dick on a weekend and and also think that drinking 10 pints on a friday is ok and dosent damage your health.   infact bet half

Posted Images

I was well into bodybuilding from 1984to1991,never took the gear but eat properly and took some supplements,most of the lads were on gear ....the growth is remarkable to say the least ,however in the following few years one guy died from cancer at the age of 34,for the last 6 months of his life he was blind,deaf and dumb,steroids were blamed for the cancer developing,2 of my pals were reduced to such a poor mental state they took their own lives,another pal who was competing and winning at national/European level,had to have his heart valves repaired/ replaced ,this failed and since then he has had a replacement hears and is currently waiting for another :blink: and believe it or not he is still using gear :censored: for anyone thinking about it my advice is don't ,the repurcussions may not be seen for years ....but they will bite you on the arse....bitch tits and small balls could be the least of your worries......ATB Dave

hormone inbalance does cause cancer

Like any subject, it always interesting to hear the point of view of someone " in the know" Gnasher, so do you think roids are essential to put a finish on an exercise programme?

Is it like, if you don't do roids you have not completed your training as far as it could go?

Is it considered a waste of training in body building circles if they are not used?

Just interested, only because I don't even like taking an aspirin ! Lol lol

Everything else in place training/diet/rest etc etc steroids WILL help bring out the best of what a body can become....thats a fact nobody can deny.........but if those other things are not in place its a waste of time.....steroids are not for everyone even seasoned lifters......you could be the strongest most hardworking clean living determined bodybuilder in the world....if you are not gifted genetically you will never reach competition level,so for some people natural is the way to go.

My gripe is with these pretty boys you see who want to get big to go and stand on a door !......They have no real clue and are certainly not bodybuilders they just think you have to be big....anyone will say the same they are an embarrassment to serious lifters.......steroids taken with knowledge and reason should do a lot more than just make you big.......i see some excellent natural physiques of people who see no value in using gear they get every bit as much respect as anyone else.

• Like 1

Everything else in place training/diet/rest etc etc steroids WILL help bring out the best of what a body can become....thats a fact nobody can deny.........but if those other things are not in place its a waste of time.....steroids are not for everyone even seasoned lifters......you could be the strongest most hardworking clean living determined bodybuilder in the world....if you are not gifted genetically you will never reach competition level,so for some people natural is the way to go.

My gripe is with these pretty boys you see who want to get big to go and stand on a door !......They have no real clue and are certainly not bodybuilders they just think you have to be big....anyone will say the same they are an embarrassment to serious lifters.......steroids taken with knowledge and reason should do a lot more than just make you big.......i see some excellent natural physiques of people who see no value in using gear they get every bit as much respect as anyone else.

Cheers mate, the bit you say about the big puffed up blokes you see on doors rings true with me and I am sure with lots of other lads who only really see these type of body builders........they are by and large the face of body building because that's what everyone sees every Saturday night right round the country.

No other sport ( if sport is the right word) has such a stereo type as body building, judging by your reply and a few lads who I have met who worked doors in the west end and also trained its probably an unfair stereo type.

Drugs in sport and the media is such a taboo I suppose it's in every ones mindset that its a " cheats" thing.......?

So the advice is, informed decisions and you only have to please yourself

Cheers

Iv trained with lads who took gear too soon and peaked too early relying on gear,and when they finished their cycle they lost serious size.on the other hand iv seen lads train for years and then take gear and kept their size through serious training and strict diets.Basicly its all down to personal choice and mentality i think

I have never been into any type of body building at all, but I have a serious question for rose that have.....why?

I have met some huge great blokes in my time and quiet a lot of them lacked stamina and actual strength, is it just to look big ?

No side to my question, genuinely interested to know?

Just like any other hobby or interest in life mate. I like fishin, huntin, shootin, gardenin etc so do as much and as often as i can. There's a feel good factor attached to it like any other hobby.

if i could find them invisible carpets to buy to put under my arms i may give it a go

Its always amused me when folk who know nothing about bodybuilding just presume that anyone who takes it seriously must be " vain " !!............Baw you say " its got to be solely vanity "................why ?..........if i buy a fast car and pay money to make it even faster is that due to vanity ?........if i have a good dog who catches plenty of bunnies,but i get him super fit so he can catch even more bunnies,is that vanity ?................this logic that people spend thousands of pounds with absolutely no return,spend years gaining knowledge,years working hard pushing their bodies......is down to vanity,is absolutely ludicrous !.......Stone me if i was a vain man id of got my hooter sorted out long before bothering to lift weights :laugh: Im not quite as brave as Socks as regards putting a pic up but i doubt many folk would believe my age from a pic a few days out from contest.....have a look at someone like Stallone who has had a lifetime of fitness and used gear for many years.....tell me his shape and condition is not outstanding and admireable for a man of his years......or should you just sit and eat drink smoke yourself into a fat sloppy unhealthy mess !!

Having been around gyms as long as i can remember ive seen very different characters come and go......a gym is place where you can lose yourself or find yourself......ive seen big strong lads walk in gyms with no interest whatsoever in sport,health or fitness....go straight on the gear,only work the showy muscle groups arms/chest etc...........then lose interest once their initial growth stops.......they are lost souls !.................on the other hand ive seen skinny shy timid lads walk in the gym,willing to listen learn,dedicate themself.......who over time not only develop their body but develop their self worth and confidence as well as gain that beautiful feeling of waking up feeling strong......they are the ones who find themself.

Steroids are like putting the finishing touches on your hard work......to think its all in the name of vanity is very ignorant and naive.

I never said weight lifting is for vanity. What I actually said, I don't understand why people who are so Heath conscience pump there body's full of drugs. I still find that bewildering. If you do weights and find you've stopped growing, that's nature, that's your body reached its natural peak. If that means you aren't physically able to compete against someone naturally bigger.... That's life. To artificially build yourself up in order to gain an equal or better strength against them is wrong in my book. If no one took steroids in the lifting game it be fairer for the guys who don't touch it. People use them to gain an advantage whether its lifting, running, cycling or any physical sport. I know I much prefer knowing someone like Usain Bolt is naturally fast compared to a cheat like Ben Johnstone. You seem to think your ok cos your clues up on it but I've never spoken to a drug addict who doesn't think the same. I'm ok, I'm not like the other idiots, I know what I'm doing, the usual speal you get from guys hooked on some substance or another. You also seem to think that unless your lifting weights your a fat slob. Rather broad assumption that. I don't lift weights but I like to think I'm fit and relatively got a decent build. My exercises are Canoing and hill walking, plenty of healthy outdoor fresh air, not stuck in a gym full of mirrors ;)

Iv trained with lads who took gear too soon and peaked too early relying on gear,and when they finished their cycle they lost serious size.on the other hand iv seen lads train for years and then take gear and kept their size through serious training and strict diets.Basicly its all down to personal choice and mentality i think

The reason bodybuilders lose size (mass) when on an off period is because steroids make the body retain water (water retention) particularly in muscles so you would lose mass from that alone.

There are different types of bodybuilder. There's the mass monters that just train heavy constantly for mass without thinking about proportion, cutting up etc. That's the guys you see on Worlds Stongest Man etc...then there's the true bodybuilders (imo) that sculpt their bodies for proportion....that's guys like Arnold, Lee Haney, Ron Coleman etc. These types of bodybuilders are the true bodybuilders that will analyse their physiques constantly and work on areas that are lacking. All bodybuilders are different...for instance 1 man may be a great shape other than deltoids so he would work harder on that area in order to bring it into proportion with the rest of the body. A mate was 1 case. He was in great shape though lacked a bit in deltoids...i was very prominent on delts so he trained with me when doing shoulders and i pushed him hard on them...i messed his weights and exercises around until they reacted and started to grow. I lacked slighly on biceps and he was strong on them so he done the same for me and it helped us both.

Anyway... the point i'm making is that the burly guys you see on doors etc are usually mass type guys that train purely for mass and are not the "face" of bodybuilding imo. Guys like Arnold and the Olympia guys are the true "face" of bodybuilding!!!

Edited by AirgunGuy
  • Like 1

I never said weight lifting is for vanity. What I actually said, I don't understand why people who are so Heath conscience pump there body's full of drugs. I still find that bewildering. If you do weights and find you've stopped growing, that's nature, that's your body reached its natural peak. If that means you aren't physically able to compete against someone naturally bigger.... That's life. To artificially build yourself up in order to gain an equal or better strength against them is wrong in my book. If no one took steroids in the lifting game it be fairer for the guys who don't touch it. People use them to gain an advantage whether its lifting, running, cycling or any physical sport. I know I much prefer knowing someone like Usain Bolt is naturally fast compared to a cheat like Ben Johnstone. You seem to think your ok cos your clues up on it but I've never spoken to a drug addict who doesn't think the same. I'm ok, I'm not like the other idiots, I know what I'm doing, the usual speal you get from guys hooked on some substance or another. You also seem to think that unless your lifting weights your a fat slob. Rather broad assumption that. I don't lift weights but I like to think I'm fit and relatively got a decent build. My exercises are Canoing and hill walking, plenty of healthy outdoor fresh air, not stuck in a gym full of mirrors ;)

The comparisons your making are just not compareable.......you are comparing a pure out and out sportsman like Usain Bolt to a bodybuilder !.......Your comparing heroin addicts to people who use performance enhancers !............Your comparing walking hills to lifting weights !

If a man reaches his potential as a bodybuilder is that it,end of game ?...pack up and find another hobby ?.......Nobody is " cheating " by getting a helping hand from gear you are getting sport and bodybuilding mixed up as one and the same just because somethings competetive doesnt make it a sport !

As for " pumping their body full of drugs ".......it would be like me telling you how to use a canoe.......difference being im not arrogant enough to think i know more than you on a subject you have experienced and i havent ;)

• Like 1

You start by saying "I never said weight lifting is for vanity"...then you finish by saying "not stuck in a gym full of mirrors"! Contradiction and lack of knowledge and understanding of the sport!!! Edited by AirgunGuy
  • Like 2

The reason bodybuilders lose size (mass) when on an off period is because steroids make the body retain water (water retention) particularly in muscles so you would lose mass from that alone.

There are different types of bodybuilder. There's the mass monters that just train heavy constantly for mass without thinking about proportion, cutting up etc. That's the guys you see on Worlds Stongest Man etc...there's the true bodybuilders (imo) that sculpt their bodies for proportion....that's guys like Arnold, Lee Haney, Ron Coleman etc. These types of bodybuilders are the true bodybuilders that will analyse their physiques constantly and work on areas that are lacking. All bodybuilders are different...for instance 1 man may be a great shape other than deltoids so he would work harder on that area in order to bring it into proportion with the rest of the body. A mate was 1 case. He was in great shape though lacked a bit in deltoids...i was very prominent on delts so he trained with me when doing shoulders and i pushed him hard on them...i messed his weights and exercises around until they reacted and started to grow. I lacked slighly on biceps and he was strong on them so he done the same for me and it helped us both.

Anyway... the point i'm making is that the burly guys you see on doors etc are usually mass type guys that train purely for mass and are not the "face" of bodybuilding imo. Guys like Arnold and the Olympia guys are the true "face" of bodybuilding!!!

Strongman competitors have absolutely nothing to with bodybuilding.....they are strength athletes simple as that.......theres no such thing as a " pure bodybuilder " in my opinion......a skinny little 9 stone hard gainer with 6 months lifting under his belt is every bit as much of a pure bodybuilder as Arnold Schwarzenegger was if he applies himself correctly........and thats the beauty of the hobby.

For me Arnold was the greatest bodybuilder in history yet he wouldnt win a title in todays game because he wasnt a big puffed out cartoon character.......again,you take from bodybuilding what you want...... ive become friendly over the last few years with a young lad who comes in the gym,gives everything,wants to learn everything and is on the way to a fantastic physique............he is paralysed from the waist down !......Watching him physically and mentally grow as a bodybuilder and as a man in what must be an extremely tough situation for a young lad,constantly reminds me of what bodybuilding is all about.

• Like 1