Surely it is all about vanity ?

I would be a liar if i said no...that was a very small part of it for me and most others probably but mostly it's just wanting to be the best you can be like any other sportsman!!!

And naw...you're no seein ma tits haha...ther's nothin noticeable...just a lump behind each nipple!!!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought you were gonna threaten to beat me up mate. I am unfit, overweight, wear glasses, suffer from bouts of cowardice & I'm a bleeder.....it would be pretty pointless & you could take no

Its always amused me when folk who know nothing about bodybuilding just presume that anyone who takes it seriously must be " vain " !!............Baw you say " its got to be solely vanity "...........

funny how people slag steroids off yet think its ok to act/fight like a dick on a weekend and and also think that drinking 10 pints on a friday is ok and dosent damage your health.   infact bet half

Posted Images

I never said weight lifting is for vanity. What I actually said, I don't understand why people who are so Heath conscience pump there body's full of drugs. I still find that bewildering. If you do weights and find you've stopped growing, that's nature, that's your body reached its natural peak. If that means you aren't physically able to compete against someone naturally bigger.... That's life. To artificially build yourself up in order to gain an equal or better strength against them is wrong in my book. If no one took steroids in the lifting game it be fairer for the guys who don't touch it. People use them to gain an advantage whether its lifting, running, cycling or any physical sport. I know I much prefer knowing someone like Usain Bolt is naturally fast compared to a cheat like Ben Johnstone. You seem to think your ok cos your clues up on it but I've never spoken to a drug addict who doesn't think the same. I'm ok, I'm not like the other idiots, I know what I'm doing, the usual speal you get from guys hooked on some substance or another. You also seem to think that unless your lifting weights your a fat slob. Rather broad assumption that. I don't lift weights but I like to think I'm fit and relatively got a decent build. My exercises are Canoing and hill walking, plenty of healthy outdoor fresh air, not stuck in a gym full of mirrors ;)
The comparisons your making are just not compareable.......you are comparing a pure out and out sportsman like Usain Bolt to a bodybuilder !.......Your comparing heroin addicts to people who use performance enhancers !............Your comparing walking hills to lifting weights !

If a man reaches his potential as a bodybuilder is that it,end of game ?...pack up and find another hobby ?.......Nobody is " cheating " by getting a helping hand from gear you are getting sport and bodybuilding mixed up as one and the same just because somethings competetive doesnt make it a sport !

As for " pumping their body full of drugs ".......it would be like me telling you how to use a canoe.......difference being im not arrogant enough to think i know more than you on a subject you have experienced and i havent ;)

If a man reaches his potential in body building should he give up? Well no, he keeps doing what he enjoys. Everyone reaches their potential then start to slide as they get older. Taking drugs to slow down the effect or enhance their ability isn't right no matter how you paint it. Steroids are damaging, all drugs have side effects do they not? I'm not telling you about them mate as you say, I know f**k all about them. I'm just commenting on your posts. Having an addiction to a drug whether its steroids, heroin, cocaine, nicotine, its all the same. Once the body needs a substance to keep it feeling normal, its bad news.

Iv trained with lads who took gear too soon and peaked too early relying on gear,and when they finished their cycle they lost serious size.on the other hand iv seen lads train for years and then take gear and kept their size through serious training and strict diets.Basicly its all down to personal choice and mentality i think

The reason bodybuilders lose size (mass) when on an off period is because steroids make the body retain water (water retention) particularly in muscles so you would lose mass from that alone.

There are different types of bodybuilder. There's the mass monters that just train heavy constantly for mass without thinking about proportion, cutting up etc. That's the guys you see on Worlds Stongest Man etc...there's the true bodybuilders (imo) that sculpt their bodies for proportion....that's guys like Arnold, Lee Haney, Ron Coleman etc. These types of bodybuilders are the true bodybuilders that will analyse their physiques constantly and work on areas that are lacking. All bodybuilders are different...for instance 1 man may be a great shape other than deltoids so he would work harder on that area in order to bring it into proportion with the rest of the body. A mate was 1 case. He was in great shape though lacked a bit in deltoids...i was very prominent on delts so he trained with me when doing shoulders and i pushed him hard on them...i messed his weights and exercises around until they reacted and started to grow. I lacked slighly on biceps and he was strong on them so he done the same for me and it helped us both.

Anyway... the point i'm making is that the burly guys you see on doors etc are usually mass type guys that train purely for mass and are not the "face" of bodybuilding imo. Guys like Arnold and the Olympia guys are the true "face" of bodybuilding!!!

Strongman competitors have absolutely nothing to with bodybuilding.....they are strength athletes simple as that.......theres no such thing as a " pure bodybuilder " in my opinion......a skinny little 9 stone hard gainer with 6 months lifting under his belt is every bit as much of a pure bodybuilder as Arnold Schwarzenegger was if he applies himself correctly........and thats the beauty of the hobby.

For me Arnold was the greatest bodybuilder in history yet he wouldnt win a title in todays game because he wasnt a big puffed out cartoon character.......again,you take from bodybuilding what you want...... ive become friendly over the last few years with a young lad who comes in the gym,gives everything,wants to learn everything and is on the way to a fantastic physique............he is paralysed from the waist down !......Watching him physically and mentally grow as a bodybuilder and as a man in what must be an extremely tough situation for a young lad,constantly reminds me of what bodybuilding is all about.

To say that strongman competitors have nothing to do with bodybuilding is nonsense. Strongmen dont get strong by lifting heavy stone and running 100 yards...they get strong by lifting weights, taking gear and training in a similar way to bodybuilders!!!

The guys adding to the thread that dont know much about the sport seem to be generalizing and putting the mass monsters and guys that sculpt their bodies into the same catagory. Yes, they train with heavy weights in a similar manner but they have different goals. The term bodybuilding refers to the guys that sculpt their physiques to achieve proportion etc and the pinnacle of the sport is the Olympia guys!!!

Edited by AirgunGuy

Its always amused me when folk who know nothing about bodybuilding just presume that anyone who takes it seriously must be " vain " !!............Baw you say " its got to be solely vanity "................why ?..........if i buy a fast car and pay money to make it even faster is that due to vanity ?........if i have a good dog who catches plenty of bunnies,but i get him super fit so he can catch even more bunnies,is that vanity ?................this logic that people spend thousands of pounds with absolutely no return,spend years gaining knowledge,years working hard pushing their bodies......is down to vanity,is absolutely ludicrous !.......Stone me if i was a vain man id of got my hooter sorted out long before bothering to lift weights :laugh: Im not quite as brave as Socks as regards putting a pic up but i doubt many folk would believe my age from a pic a few days out from contest.....have a look at someone like Stallone who has had a lifetime of fitness and used gear for many years.....tell me his shape and condition is not outstanding and admireable for a man of his years......or should you just sit and eat drink smoke yourself into a fat sloppy unhealthy mess !!

Having been around gyms as long as i can remember ive seen very different characters come and go......a gym is place where you can lose yourself or find yourself......ive seen big strong lads walk in gyms with no interest whatsoever in sport,health or fitness....go straight on the gear,only work the showy muscle groups arms/chest etc...........then lose interest once their initial growth stops.......they are lost souls !.................on the other hand ive seen skinny shy timid lads walk in the gym,willing to listen learn,dedicate themself.......who over time not only develop their body but develop their self worth and confidence as well as gain that beautiful feeling of waking up feeling strong......they are the ones who find themself.

Steroids are like putting the finishing touches on your hard work......to think its all in the name of vanity is very ignorant and naive.

I never said weight lifting is for vanity. What I actually said, I don't understand why people who are so Heath conscience pump there body's full of drugs. I still find that bewildering. If you do weights and find you've stopped growing, that's nature, that's your body reached its natural peak. If that means you aren't physically able to compete against someone naturally bigger.... That's life. To artificially build yourself up in order to gain an equal or better strength against them is wrong in my book. If no one took steroids in the lifting game it be fairer for the guys who don't touch it. People use them to gain an advantage whether its lifting, running, cycling or any physical sport. I know I much prefer knowing someone like Usain Bolt is naturally fast compared to a cheat like Ben Johnstone. You seem to think your ok cos your clues up on it but I've never spoken to a drug addict who doesn't think the same. I'm ok, I'm not like the other idiots, I know what I'm doing, the usual speal you get from guys hooked on some substance or another. You also seem to think that unless your lifting weights your a fat slob. Rather broad assumption that. I don't lift weights but I like to think I'm fit and relatively got a decent build. My exercises are Canoing and hill walking, plenty of healthy outdoor fresh air, not stuck in a gym full of mirrors ;)
You start by saying "I never said weight lifting is for vanity"...then you finish by saying "not stuck in a gym full of mirrors"! Contradiction and lack of knowledge and understanding of the sport!!!

I said for a health conscious person to take drugs has to be down to vanity. If you were health conscious you would be happy having a natural healthy body. I'm sure guys like gnash who do competitive lifting aren't taking them to be vain, but that'll be 1% of the gym. The rest, love the mirrors ;)

Steroid use is more rife than ever now. Why? Cos most of the little posers & homos who walk around emulating JLS with the low cut tops, gay haircuts & spray tans are bang into them. They say its fashion but if you spend more time applying make up & straightening your hair than your lass you might aswell take it up the arse. How times have changed.....and not for the better either!

The comparisons your making are just not compareable.......you are comparing a pure out and out sportsman like Usain Bolt to a bodybuilder !.......Your comparing heroin addicts to people who use performance enhancers !............Your comparing walking hills to lifting weights !

If a man reaches his potential as a bodybuilder is that it,end of game ?...pack up and find another hobby ?.......Nobody is " cheating " by getting a helping hand from gear you are getting sport and bodybuilding mixed up as one and the same just because somethings competetive doesnt make it a sport !

As for " pumping their body full of drugs ".......it would be like me telling you how to use a canoe.......difference being im not arrogant enough to think i know more than you on a subject you have experienced and i havent ;)

If a man reaches his potential in body building should he give up? Well no, he keeps doing what he enjoys. Everyone reaches their potential then start to slide as they get older. Taking drugs to slow down the effect or enhance their ability isn't right no matter how you paint it. Steroids are damaging, all drugs have side effects do they not? I'm not telling you about them mate as you say, I know f**k all about them. I'm just commenting on your posts. Having an addiction to a drug whether its steroids, heroin, cocaine, nicotine, its all the same. Once the body needs a substance to keep it feeling normal, its bad news.

Again you are making big sweeping statements you have no real understanding of............." addiction " is a big word to use on a subject you readily admit you know nothing about,it would suggest you are calling people like me " drug addicts " ............you are saying if a man reaches his potential he should just carry on doing what he,s doing..............why should he ?.....if he understands and accepts the road ahead why should he not chase his goals ?..........im not telling you where you are safe to ride your canoe and where not to thats for you to decide your an adult human being with knowledge in your hobby.

This assumption that any man who uses performance anhancing drugs is a junkie nutcase is unbelievably ignorant !

• Like 1

Iv trained with lads who took gear too soon and peaked too early relying on gear,and when they finished their cycle they lost serious size.on the other hand iv seen lads train for years and then take gear and kept their size through serious training and strict diets.Basicly its all down to personal choice and mentality i think

The reason bodybuilders lose size (mass) when on an off period is because steroids make the body retain water (water retention) particularly in muscles so you would lose mass from that alone.

There are different types of bodybuilder. There's the mass monters that just train heavy constantly for mass without thinking about proportion, cutting up etc. That's the guys you see on Worlds Stongest Man etc...there's the true bodybuilders (imo) that sculpt their bodies for proportion....that's guys like Arnold, Lee Haney, Ron Coleman etc. These types of bodybuilders are the true bodybuilders that will analyse their physiques constantly and work on areas that are lacking. All bodybuilders are different...for instance 1 man may be a great shape other than deltoids so he would work harder on that area in order to bring it into proportion with the rest of the body. A mate was 1 case. He was in great shape though lacked a bit in deltoids...i was very prominent on delts so he trained with me when doing shoulders and i pushed him hard on them...i messed his weights and exercises around until they reacted and started to grow. I lacked slighly on biceps and he was strong on them so he done the same for me and it helped us both.

Anyway... the point i'm making is that the burly guys you see on doors etc are usually mass type guys that train purely for mass and are not the "face" of bodybuilding imo. Guys like Arnold and the Olympia guys are the true "face" of bodybuilding!!!

Strongman competitors have absolutely nothing to with bodybuilding.....they are strength athletes simple as that.......theres no such thing as a " pure bodybuilder " in my opinion......a skinny little 9 stone hard gainer with 6 months lifting under his belt is every bit as much of a pure bodybuilder as Arnold Schwarzenegger was if he applies himself correctly........and thats the beauty of the hobby.

For me Arnold was the greatest bodybuilder in history yet he wouldnt win a title in todays game because he wasnt a big puffed out cartoon character.......again,you take from bodybuilding what you want...... ive become friendly over the last few years with a young lad who comes in the gym,gives everything,wants to learn everything and is on the way to a fantastic physique............he is paralysed from the waist down !......Watching him physically and mentally grow as a bodybuilder and as a man in what must be an extremely tough situation for a young lad,constantly reminds me of what bodybuilding is all about.

To say that strongman competitors have nothing to do with bodybuilding is nonsense. Strongmen dont get strong by lifting heavy stone and running 100 yards...they get strong by lifting weights, taking gear and training in a similar way to bodybuilders!!!

The guys adding to the thread that dont know much about the sport seem to be generalizing and putting the mass monsters and guys that sculpt their bodies into the same catagory. Yes, they train with heavy weights in a similar manner but they have different goals. The term bodybuilding refers to the guys that sculpt their physiques to achieve proportion etc and the pinnacle of the sport is the Olympia guys!!!

They are building their strength not their body.............they are not interested in anything visual................you sound like you have lifted so i,ll remind you of the saying " bodybuilding is not about how strong you are....its about how strong it looks like you are ".......take the tendons out of a 21 inch arm bodybuilder and a 21 inch arm strongman competitor and it will be chalk and cheese......the bodybuilders arm LOOKS strong,the strongmans arm IS strong......

• Like 2

What some people don't seem to get is that bodybuilding is a sport.....yes nowadays there is a lot of ponces in the gym wanting big arms to wear a tight tshirt round town Friday night :icon_eek: worst still are the bodybuilders with big upper bodies and scrawny legs :laugh: allways a dead give away of a poser rather than the real deal :yes: ....one thing for certain ,with the best diet,training routine,supplements ,rest etc etc no matter how wll you are blessed genetically.....even at a small local show without using gear you would not stand a chance of winning or even placing,this Is why I got out of it.I am fortunate in being able to put size on fairly quickly /easily,however trying to keep the mass on whilst dieting for a show is very difficult,a problem easily solved by using gear.....Im glad I never succumbed to them then and Im glad I got out of the game and went into boxing and martial arts.....I would be gutted if any of my kids ever got into bodybuilding,the whole game is rotten through the curse of steroids growth hormones....

You don't need steroids just patience, semi clean diet, heavy compound lifting (bench, squat, deadlifts etc) 3-4x a week.

would also recommend www.Leaingains.com its a form of fasting which has give me great results.

Also if your wanting to raise your Test with out the side effects try Tongkat ali.

They are building their strength not their body.............they are not interested in anything visual................you sound like you have lifted so i,ll remind you of the saying " bodybuilding is not about how strong you are....its about how strong it looks like you are ".......take the tendons out of a 21 inch arm bodybuilder and a 21 inch arm strongman competitor and it will be chalk and cheese......the bodybuilders arm LOOKS strong,the strongmans arm IS strong......
If you read through my posts you will see that i've already stated that!!! You've obviously not read the entire thread. I've been hospitalised and was told i could easily have died due to steroid abuse.

Bodybuilders do lift for strength as you have to get stronger in order to grow and as you grow you will get stronger but with the bodybuilder the most important factor is looks!!!

If you read through my posts you will see that i've already stated that!!! You've obviously not read the entire thread. I've been hospitalised and was told i could easily have died due to steroid abuse.

Bodybuilders do lift for strength as you have to get stronger in order to grow and as you grow you will get stronger but with the bodybuilder the most important factor is looks!!!

We,re going round in circles here mate....im merely saying strongman competitors and bodybuilding competitors are not even remotely similar..........the only thing the same is that they both train lifting heavy weights...................table tennis and tennis both use a bat and ball but the ultimate goal is vastly different !

What some people don't seem to get is that bodybuilding is a sport.....yes nowadays there is a lot of ponces in the gym wanting big arms to wear a tight tshirt round town Friday night :icon_eek: worst still are the bodybuilders with big upper bodies and scrawny legs :laugh: allways a dead give away of a poser rather than the real deal :yes: ....one thing for certain ,with the best diet,training routine,supplements ,rest etc etc no matter how wll you are blessed genetically.....even at a small local show without using gear you would not stand a chance of winning or even placing,this Is why I got out of it.I am fortunate in being able to put size on fairly quickly /easily,however trying to keep the mass on whilst dieting for a show is very difficult,a problem easily solved by using gear.....Im glad I never succumbed to them then and Im glad I got out of the game and went into boxing and martial arts.....I would be gutted if any of my kids ever got into bodybuilding,the whole game is rotten through the curse of steroids growth hormones....

What makes bodybuilding a sport....any more than building a fast car is a sport ?.................

A competitive bodybuilder surrounded by thousands of pounds of equipment is no more " a bodybuilder " than somebody who trains with a barbell at home for personal achievement.

Again you are making big sweeping statements you have no real understanding of............." addiction " is a big word to use on a subject you readily admit you know nothing about,it would suggest you are calling people like me " drug addicts " ............you are saying if a man reaches his potential he should just carry on doing what he,s doing..............why should he ?.....if he understands and accepts the road ahead why should he not chase his goals ?..........im not telling you where you are safe to ride your canoe and where not to thats for you to decide your an adult human being with knowledge in your hobby.

This assumption that any man who uses performance anhancing drugs is a junkie nutcase is unbelievably ignorant !

Lol I'm not saying your a junkie but if I was to say to you, come off them, don't touch them again, would you be able to do it? What would be your frame of mind? Yes I do think someone who has reached there potential should continue without using performance enhancing drugs. Do you think Lance Armstrong should keep his yellow jerseys? I couldn't care if you told me how to a canoe mate lol but I get your point. I just don't think it's right that guys should take substances to enhance there performance when others aren't.