So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Got the christmas veg sorted today :)

15885115337_bbb979e950.jpg

15885095797_69dab58652.jpg

going to drop a couple of parsnips and a cheese board off to my friendly sheep farmer later I like to keep him happy. Lets me annoy his sheep ferret and shoot so worth an effort

Edited by terryd
  • Like 3

Got the christmas veg sorted today :)

15885115337_bbb979e950.jpg

15885095797_69dab58652.jpg

going to drop a couple of parsnips and a cheese board off to my friendly sheep farmer later I like to keep him happy. Lets me annoy his sheep ferret and shoot so worth an effort

Good to see Terry you have grown a varied amount of stuff is there anything you will be giving a miss next season? What have you been pleased with what you have grown and have you had any failures? :thumbs:

Well I ballsed up with my carrots left them in too long so lots of rot.

I planted my spring cabbage too late so they didn't get big enough at least I don't think to survive the winter.

My onions were a disaster I thought so I need to get them right next year as we eat a lot.

I won't be growing main crops spuds any more just not worth the effort and space but I will be growing earlies and second early

Fancy growing more fruit as it is very expensive.

Won't be growing nero kale again it seems tough as old boot even if it does look nice.

Oh yea toms had loads of rot down to erratic watering I think so again some thing to try and get right next year

So lots of room for improvement :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply terry. i dont grow maincrop anymore either had too many failures. My tomatoes were a disaster. i have had better onions the cabbage brocolli cauliflower etc were not too bad. i grow a fair bit of fruit but i have never been pleased with the strawberries. Good luck for next season look forward to your posts. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Same to you John :thumbs:

Onions from seed will be the first thing to get going. Straight from window sill to cold frame so got to time it right.

Will have a bit more patience this year got bit keen last and not much took off early any way

Iv done better with seeds then I have sets in past from window to plant out

Iv had to add plenty of quality top soil this year which iv got outa a place near

Me

I made the mistake of digging to deep and had bad results in one of my raised beds

Adding more beds this year aswell

Iv done better with seeds then I have sets in past from window to plant out

Iv had to add plenty of quality top soil this year which iv got outa a place near

Me

I made the mistake of digging to deep and had bad results in one of my raised beds

Adding more beds this year aswell

good to know when did you sow ?

ONION SEED: NORMAL BULB ONIONS ~

Many people grow onions from seed as it is so much cheaper than from sets,
and the range of varieties available is better.

Onions won't germinate in cold soil, and need quite a long time to make a bulb,
so there are three times to sow onions from seed:

Easy Option 1 - Indoors
The usual and most reliable option is to sow indoors in trays very early in January or February, with some heat, so that they get going early enough to make nice big bulbs. They will grow on without heat (for example in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse) once germinated. Transplant out about 4"-6" apart once the soil warms up:

topleftspace.jpgcalendar.jpgend.jpg
sow.jpglt.jpgdk.jpgdk.jpgdk.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgend.jpg
crop.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgdk.jpgdk.jpgdk.jpgdk.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgend.jpg

Easy Option 2 - Outdoors
The other common way is to sow seed outdoors directly, in this case you should wait until March or so when the soil has warmed up a bit. (Your onions will be a bit smaller as they've had a shorter growing season.) Thin your rows in stages to about 4"-6" apart as they grow:

topleftspace.jpgcalendar.jpgend.jpg
sow.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpglt.jpgdk.jpgdk.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgend.jpg
crop.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgdk.jpgdk.jpgdk.jpgdk.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgL.jpgR.jpgend.jpg

Edited by darbo