So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Good harvest again terry some nice fennel there :thumbs: The victorian garden is my fav of all time watched them years ago month by month Harry dodson is a legend. :yes:

Sod the fennel, look at his swede almost perfect, wish I could grow them like that. You boys are putting me to shame.

TC

• Like 1

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Good harvest again terry some nice fennel there :thumbs: The victorian garden is my fav of all time watched them years ago month by month Harry dodson is a legend. :yes:

Sod the fennel, look at his swede almost perfect, wish I could grow them like that. You boys are putting me to shame.

TC

i agree TC first class swede you have to give it to the man he has grown some fantastic stuff for sure. :yes:

• Like 1

Just a couple of cabbage and few spouts today the fridge is well stocked at the moment.

15060996154_19cd5f486e_c.jpg

red cabbage not doing to bad and well ventilated thanks to the slugs :laugh:

15060986914_e19bc56bf6_c.jpg

plenty of cabbage waiting in the wings

15678984671_cb378e4b8f_c.jpg

broadbeans just about standing up I raised the netting today and I might have to support them

15496088980_b66d859e35_c.jpg

good old club root on the veg from today. These had a handful of lime in the holes when planted out and did reasonable anyway but I will try the washing liquid next time as mentioned in this thread by tc be nice to see things reach there full potential

15680941545_dd42a94bf2_c.jpg

• Like 2

forgot to ask ok to leave carrots in the ground till needed ? I forget the variety but guessing they will be a main crop one

Steps for Overwintering Carrots in the Ground

The first step to leaving carrots in the ground for later harvest in the winter is to make sure that the garden bed that the carrots are growing in is well weeded. This will make sure that while you are keeping the carrots alive, you do not also keep the weeds alive for next year.

The next step for storing carrots for winter in the ground is to heavily mulch the bed where the carrots are growing with straw or leaves. Make sure that the mulch is pushed securely against the tops of the carrots.

Be warned that when you are overwintering carrots in the ground, the carrot tops will eventually die off in the cold. The carrot root below will be just fine and will taste fine after the tops die, but you may have trouble finding the carrot roots after this. You may want to mark the locations of the carrots before you mulch because of this.

After this, storing garden carrots in the ground is just a matter of time. As you need carrots, you can go out to your garden and harvest them. You may find that the carrots will get sweeter as the winter progresses. This is because the plant starts to concentrate its sugars in order to help it survive the cold.

Carrots can be left in the ground all winter long, but you will want to harvest all of them before early spring. Once spring arrives, the carrots will flower and will become inedible.

Now that you know how to store carrots in the ground, you can enjoy your fresh and crunchy homegrown carrots nearly all year round. Overwintering carrots is not only easy, it is space saving. Try leaving carrots in the ground for winter this year.

• Like 1

Picked plenty of veg today the daughter is staying in a university village and sharing with others. The kitchen looks like its been nuked so we got her a slow cooker for her room which she keeps chugging away with stews and casseroles so I have to keep her supplied with veg. She has the best smelling room there :laugh:

15553164607_3b9358e1ed_c.jpg

Gladiator parsnips definitely stick with them next year :thumbs:

15552481009_b612722034_c.jpg

Need to get me onions sorted next year this years were like marbles but they keep really well unlike a couple big ones I bought from tesco which lasted bout 2 weeks

On the look out for some raspberry canes next

• Like 3

Picked plenty of veg today the daughter is staying in a university village and sharing with others. The kitchen looks like its been nuked so we got her a slow cooker for her room which she keeps chugging away with stews and casseroles so I have to keep her supplied with veg. She has the best smelling room there :laugh:

15553164607_3b9358e1ed_c.jpg

Gladiator parsnips definitely stick with them next year :thumbs:

15552481009_b612722034_c.jpg

Need to get me onions sorted next year this years were like marbles but they keep really well unlike a couple big ones I bought from tesco which lasted bout 2 weeks

On the look out for some raspberry canes next

Terry, without any fear of contradiction, you grow some amazing veg across the board. :thumbs:

TC

• Like 1

Raspberry canes came today off ebay but from few miles up the road

10 x Raspberry Canes 'Sugana' Bareroot Primocane Very Large Fruit

12 x Raspberry Canes 'Octavia' Bareroot Summer Fruiting Large Berries

Popped them all in a big pot of compost till I get them up the plot on Sunday. Plan to give them dam good mulching of leaves to keep the weeds out.

I see you had a cracking patch of canes John in one of the posts did you get a good crop ?

Would be nice to get a good crop of them bloody silly prices in tesco

Knocked up some pickled red cabbage tonight too. Cover in salt over night rinsed then used hot white vinegar that had pickling spices added looking forward to tasting that

15781152221_d7415643c5_c.jpg

• Like 1

Popped them all in a big pot of compost till I get them up the plot on Sunday. Plan to give them dam good mulching of leaves to keep the weeds out.

I see you had a cracking patch of canes John in one of the posts did you get a good crop ?

Knocked up some pickled red cabbage tonight too. Cover in salt over night rinsed then used hot white vinegar that had pickling spices added looking forward to tasting that

Yes Terry had a great crop for a decent period of time should have put some pics on with fruit on. Just net up well as the birds love them. Nice jar of red cabbage. :thumbs:

Yes Terry had a great crop for a decent period of time should have put some pics on with fruit on. Just net up well as the birds love them. Nice jar of red cabbage. :thumbs:

Yea I thought you would get a good crop off that lot :thumbs: My neighbouring plots are full of them but they just let them fall on the floor or the birds get them such a waste.