So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Raspberry canes came today off ebay but from few miles up the road

10 x Raspberry Canes 'Sugana' Bareroot Primocane Very Large Fruit

12 x Raspberry Canes 'Octavia' Bareroot Summer Fruiting Large Berries

Popped them all in a big pot of compost till I get them up the plot on Sunday. Plan to give them dam good mulching of leaves to keep the weeds out.

I see you had a cracking patch of canes John in one of the posts did you get a good crop ?

Would be nice to get a good crop of them bloody silly prices in tesco

Knocked up some pickled red cabbage tonight too. Cover in salt over night rinsed then used hot white vinegar that had pickling spices added looking forward to tasting that

15781152221_d7415643c5_c.jpg

LOve the pickled cabbage, have not made mine yet will have to get a move on. Don't forget the feathers if you can source some for the raspberry bed. Slow release on nitrogen over years not months.

TC

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Nice couple of hours up the plot this morning get out the way of stroppy teen agers :laugh:

Decided to collect leaves going to mulch me black currants with a good foot or two keep the grass at bay

15879504386_3fb540a0d5_c.jpg

going to do the same with the new raspberry bed

15904654692_aaa5524696_c.jpg

broad beans are starting to sturdy up a bit and keep up right

15879490136_1c4c71ece1_c.jpg

really need to turn over the compost heap next time I feel energetic

15719527387_77d65a36fc_c.jpg

Nearly called out the Fell and Moorland to get this bugger out the ground. Turned out it had forked in the end but it was a big fork :)

15903287851_40cc782621_c.jpg

few pics

15719509217_bf8e0bd73d_c.jpg

15903293111_ce74659b45_c.jpg

15285639933_3b7b1e2d31_c.jpg

• Like 1

In two minds about main crop spuds next year now bought a bag at the week end for a fiver at the local market. Desiree and a cracking spud. Might just do earlies and some sharp express

Might be better off using the extra space for fruit maybe :hmm:

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

I gave up growing main crop many years ago. The cost of sprays to get them to maturity far out weighed the cost, blight mostly. Even now the cost of potatoes fluctuate, but I am paying £3.50 for 25kilo bag of Pipers for chips,and £4 for Victoria, even though it is a chipping potato still boils well with good taste. It is in my eyes a waste of ground and money trying to grow main crop potatoes.

TC

Very nice John good stems on them leeks and them onions look good better than my marbles :laugh: and you got the cleanest chickens in town :thumbs:

The wife frowned on my chicken idea so that's dead in the water for the time being lol

Thank you Terry i enjoy the chickens maybe she will come round to the idea in time, :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I cocked up on the carrots never got around to protecting them so the rot seems to have set in quite bad

Dug most up salvaged as much as we can or the wife did rather and got them frozen. Next year I will get them frozen down before the weather gets bad

Well I cocked up on the carrots never got around to protecting them so the rot seems to have set in quite bad

Dug most up salvaged as much as we can or the wife did rather and got them frozen. Next year I will get them frozen down before the weather gets bad

Terry, try some carrots kept in sand. Dry the sand off in the summer box it and put it in the shed then just lay the carrots not touching in a layer of sand and cover and repeat till the box is full. More taste when you take them out than frozen carrots. The same can be done with beetroot and parsnip.

TC

Edited by tiercel

Terry, try some carrots kept in sand. Dry the sand off in the summer box it and put it in the shed then just lay the carrots not touching in a layer of sand and cover and repeat till the box is full. More taste when you take them out than frozen carrots. The same can be done with beetroot and parsnip.

TC

I will give that a try Allan. I have got a few beets in the shed in compost which I have not checked as an experiment . Sand sounds a good plan plus the council are all ways leaving bags of it laying around

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1